Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    montreal
    Posts
    301
    Post Likes

    Favorite brand of vfd

    Hi

    What is your favorite brand of drive.

    Why?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Jamestown, NY
    Posts
    73
    Post Likes
    Siemens BT300. Easiest to set up by far. Has all comm options on board.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    montreal
    Posts
    301
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Didn't know that all option board where all on board..
    Siemens are reliable?

    Will definitely look to get some more info on those drive..

    Our office use a lot of yaskawa a1000 easy to copy parameters from a faulty drive to a new drive.
    Parameter are saved on the terminal board.

    Eaton DG1 and DH1 easy set up but got some bug. I come with 36 month of warranty if started by a certified tech

    And Danfoss VLT

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    25,725
    Post Likes
    Honeywell Smart VFD

    Because it comes preprogramed. You only need to enter a very few parameters. The display is 'large' and uses real English words to tell you what is going on, instead of something like M1.1.34 that you need to look up in a manual.

    And they have great customer service via an 800 number.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    up in the hizzy
    Posts
    3,437
    Post Likes
    I prefer ABB but latelly been installing lots of Danfoss cause ABB increased their prices (due to tariff they said) but Dafoss has not, just priced a 100hp drive and ABB came $500+ higher than Danfoss.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    montreal
    Posts
    301
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Funny honeywell smart vfd look a lot like the Siemens bt300 Mpeterson21 told us about.

    Hard to say because we haven't tried any of those 2 model

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Jamestown, NY
    Posts
    73
    Post Likes
    The old Siemens drives were garbage, but they spent a lot of time researching what the other manufacturer's we're doing and what people liked, and put it all into the BT300.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East Side
    Posts
    7,179
    Post Likes
    Ford....no wait, chevy......nope....nissan!


    the Drive question is the equivalent of the car question......everyone is gonna have an opinion based on their own experience....good bad or otherwise.

    I think all drives these days are pretty stable. Most of them use words now instead of parameter numbers, they pretty much all have a presets for pumps, motors, fans, etc., and most have quick setup feature.

    I'm not as versed in the technical side as I should be, but filtration is something to look at when ordering.....i.e. does it have a choke, EMC filter, reactor, etc. these are some of the things that affect price point.

    I'm not a fan of Toshiba...only cause I had an older drive (back when Engineers dictated everything) that used all numbers for everything, you had to look in a 500 page manual to even know what the % of input signal was....it was horrible. I've had decent luck with Eaton (JCI), although I had a bad control board on a less than year old unit this spring. I'm not a huge fan of danfoss, just cause I don't like the menu layouts, and Tech support doesn't seem to ever think their drives could possible have any faults. I like ABB pretty well.....mostly cause I deal with a lot of them....no other reason really.

    basically, the "BEST" drive is the one that you like, that does the required job without issues.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Jamestown, NY
    Posts
    73
    Post Likes
    My favorite was either ABB or Yaskawa, but I am a little sour on ABB now. A few of my customers are good for playing around with parameters and I really want a factory reset defaults option on both the bypass and hmi. It would also be nice if the programming was done in either the bypass or drive hmi, and not both. Also, if the drive has the onboard bypass, they should turn off the option where someone can accidentally change the comm settings between the bypass and drive hmis.

    Yaskawa is just a little expensive.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    montreal
    Posts
    301
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    Ford....no wait, chevy......nope....nissan!


    the Drive question is the equivalent of the car question......everyone is gonna have an opinion based on their own experience....good bad or otherwise.

    I think all drives these days are pretty stable. Most of them use words now instead of parameter numbers, they pretty much all have a presets for pumps, motors, fans, etc., and most have quick setup feature.

    I'm not as versed in the technical side as I should be, but filtration is something to look at when ordering.....i.e. does it have a choke, EMC filter, reactor, etc. these are some of the things that affect price point.

    I'm not a fan of Toshiba...only cause I had an older drive (back when Engineers dictated everything) that used all numbers for everything, you had to look in a 500 page manual to even know what the % of input signal was....it was horrible. I've had decent luck with Eaton (JCI), although I had a bad control board on a less than year old unit this spring. I'm not a huge fan of danfoss, just cause I don't like the menu layouts, and Tech support doesn't seem to ever think their drives could possible have any faults. I like ABB pretty well.....mostly cause I deal with a lot of them....no other reason really.

    basically, the "BEST" drive is the one that you like, that does the required job without issues.
    The question was asked mostly because I'm curious. I did learn about the Siemens bt300 that I haven't seen on our side of town.

    Everybody has something they like about a particular type of drive.

    As you said most of them are pretty reliable today..
    They're not that much leftover for drive with cryptic parameter. Except maybe schneider.

    For most of our tech ease of use and a nice software to help in setting up the drive seem to be the most important point.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    1,269
    Post Likes
    Abb we deal with a supplier that we can call anytime day or night and get help or a drive. Holds classes builds drives with bypasses and stocks a lot.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East Side
    Posts
    7,179
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by patpinet View Post
    The question was asked mostly because I'm curious. I did learn about the Siemens bt300 that I haven't seen on our side of town.

    Everybody has something they like about a particular type of drive.

    As you said most of them are pretty reliable today..
    They're not that much leftover for drive with cryptic parameter. Except maybe schneider.

    For most of our tech ease of use and a nice software to help in setting up the drive seem to be the most important point.

    Update....Toshiba still sucks balls. Worked on a little 3 ton Aaon unit today with one. They still use all parameter numbers, no words, display is red with red LCD, cant read it in the sun, 300 parameters to sift through, no quick setup......its funny how some manufacturers are onboard with simplified interfaces, while others still think their products are superior...which they may be, but it sucks so bad to talk them, it makes people hate them.

    Side note, is there a software program to talk to those tiny things in English?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    montreal
    Posts
    301
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    Update....Toshiba still sucks balls. Worked on a little 3 ton Aaon unit today with one. They still use all parameter numbers, no words, display is red with red LCD, cant read it in the sun, 300 parameters to sift through, no quick setup......its funny how some manufacturers are onboard with simplified interfaces, while others still think their products are superior...which they may be, but it sucks so bad to talk them, it makes people hate them.

    Side note, is there a software program to talk to those tiny things in English?
    I didn't know that aaon where using Toshiba vfd.

    New setup or older stuff?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •