Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Likes

Need Help! New Carrier Green Speed Heat Pump Installation Disaster

Hi,

I am a homeowner located in a suburb outside of Cleveland, Ohio. My home had a Carrier single stage heat pump for 20 yrs - worked well - good air flow and kept humidity below 50% most of the time. Old heat pump died - did research on new heat pump - my concerns were to keep good air flow in an old home with limited vents and prone to mold issues (had to previously re-mediate mold after roof leak).

New installation was 3 weeks ago - problems from the first day, system didn't take charge- low to no air flow and no humidity control. It is a Carrier Green/variable speed heat pump - inside and out, all new.

Humidity as high as 72% - airflow from supply vents like frog's breath in house - house feels like its closed up for months - air not moving and humidity way too high. I have read all consumer booklets and installation booklets that came with system. Have played with thermostat settings both on the front end and back-end.

HVAC tech says I cant have good airflow and humidity control and I should just buy lots of fans. The humidifier is off.

Dealer has little or no ideas - have had other Carrier dealers out - no help yet.

The distribution ctr has a Carrier tech that pre-sale was helpful and reassuring that this system was as good or better than my last - with no air flow limitations etc. Post-sale he was mean and rude to me - which caused me great concern.

Would a single stage work better - this is a variable speed - I have no idea if this is a bad installation or the wrong system for me and my home...

I contacted the installer and asked for help - he never replied. Have spoken with the owner/dealer - seems not to know anything about system.

Any ideas or help would be so so appreciated as I am desperate to fix my home so that it is comfortable and livable.

Thanks,

Elisabeth

Post Likes
    Anyone? Really need help...

Post Likes
    Call Carrier and get a different contractor.

4. Likes johoff34 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I've been nervous about variable speed unit without zoning. When the capacity drops way down, so does airflow. Could be your problem. Is the thermostat close to setpoint when this happens? If you crank it up, does it blow more? Also nervous about how well the dehumidify on low. Big coil meant for full refrigerant flow warms up when only part of the capacity is used.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I've been nervous about variable speed unit without zoning. When the capacity drops way down, so does airflow. Could be your problem. Is the thermostat close to setpoint when this happens? If you crank it up, does it blow more? Also nervous about how well the dehumidify on low. Big coil meant for full refrigerant flow warms up when only part of the capacity is used.
    Add to that Duct Sizing?

Post Likes
    Thanks pecmsg, I have spoken with a little over 20 authorized Carrier dealers and Carrier corporate. I have also had one out (not the one that installed system - they have been out countless times) and they have no answers and I now know more about the thermostat settings than they so - because I read twice the install booklet - praying I'd find help. No luck yet - regarding the airflow - it has to be set to Medium or Comfort to obtain any dehumidification - the lower setting is ill advised because of duct sweating and the higher settings do not allow dehumidification. When I place my system on high airflow - front end/consumer side and back end/Carrier tech side - i still have low or no airflow or as i say "frog's breath." Its unreal. Also when I comply by using all the Medium airflow or "comfort" settings and electric reheat to aid dehumidification - I still have no humidity control and even worse air flow. Its a no win...This is Carrier's top of the line heat pump - I feel very misled and very upset - I have had to buy an air conditioner for my master bedroom and TWO dehumidifiers to manage the inside of the house - its a nightmare. The Carrier Infinity Green Speed Heat Pump is either a very poorly designed system, or not installed correctly - and as a homeowner where it all went bad - no help from a single local dealer or Carrier corporate - a big mess.

Post Likes
    Also - I was VERY clear with the dealer that I required substantial airflow because I have an old house with limited supply ducts. When problems occur everyone heads for the hills...I even texted the installer and he has no response for me. That caused me panic.

Post Likes
    Thanks BaldLoonie -Thanks for your help! I don't have any zoning - but I think you are right - the only time I have any airflow is if I set the temp super low - so the heat pump has to really work - I cant keep that up - and the airflow is only in the vent right above the blower/coil and all the other vents stay VERY low flow - like frog's breath - I literally can hardly feel the air. Is this a low airflow system because who would want that - it makes the house feel stale, stagnant like its been closed up and we've been away for months - just awful. Oh how I wish I had kept my old heat pump - it worked great.

Post Likes
    So where is this nightmare?

Post Likes
    Who chose the Green Speed as the replacement?

The issue, as stated by others, can be a duct design issue and lack of air flow as it nears set point/ramps down. Also, with a fully communicating system they have taken away/limited the ability to override the programming. Those basic things that techs could do are no longer possible and we just have to rely on the mfr to "know what's best".
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Thanks Pacnw! I was told by the Carrier dealer that the Infinity Green speed Heat Pump was best for my home. I was assured by the dealer and the distribution center local Carrier "expert" that the airflow and humidity control would exceed my old unit. I was concerned about air flow in a home with limited supply vents. So I really did my homework and no one said that it was limited in any way - they sold me based on the systems ability to do exactly what I require - which of course is not the case.

Questions for all: If the air handler has multiple speed connections or taps - can those be adjusted to increase fan speed on the unit while still allowing it to dehumidify?

Can a false altitude setting help me move more air?

I noticed the line set is wrong - will this impact air flow or humidity control?

Thanks so much,

Elisabeth

Post Likes
    Obviously something is seriously wrong. When the unit is ramped up full blast you should have regular airflow just like any old single stage unit.

Either there is a major ductwork issue or an issue with the indoor fan.

This is a long shot, but has anyone actually verified that the indoor fan cage is correct and spinning in the correct direction??????

Almost sounds like the fan cage is going opposite of the blade orientation.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Greenspeed has a fully variable speed indoor fan motor. There should be no taps to change on the fan motor.

Please post your full model numbers of the indoor and outdoor units of you have not done so.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElisaB View Post
    Thanks Pacnw! I was told by the Carrier dealer that the Infinity Green speed Heat Pump was best for my home. I was assured by the dealer and the distribution center local Carrier "expert" that the airflow and humidity control would exceed my old unit. I was concerned about air flow in a home with limited supply vents. So I really did my homework and no one said that it was limited in any way - they sold me based on the systems ability to do exactly what I require - which of course is not the case.

Questions for all: If the air handler has multiple speed connections or taps - can those be adjusted to increase fan speed on the unit while still allowing it to dehumidify?

Can a false altitude setting help me move more air?

I noticed the line set is wrong - will this impact air flow or humidity control?

Thanks so much,

Elisabeth
    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast