Post Likes

BASEMENTS SHOULD BE COOL IN SUMMER BUT MINE IS NOT...

Ok, so I want my 1500 sq ft finished basement to have a humidity level around 45%. I live in Midwest and temps in the summer can drive my basement around 70%. My first solution was to have one 70 pint frigidaire dehumidfier. That kept it around 55% which is not good enough. I also have 2 supplys and one return. I also have 3 window wells with no walkout door. Next, I bought another dehumidifier that was only 30 pint. That brought it down to my desired humidity level HOWEVER my basement is now a sauna meaning very warm near 80 degrees farenheight. I understand how dehumdifiers work but there has to be a better solution out there where I can have a low humidity basement that is also cool. Most recent I upgraded the 30 pint to a 70 pint thinking it would be more efficient and put out less heat but it got worse. Are there any better solutions out there? Please help!!

Post Likes
    Very small mini split along with the dehumidifiers.

3. Likes Fender60 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If you are going to give regular resid dehus a chance to do the job raise the setting too 55%RH. This should keep them running all the time. Resid dehus use almost 1 Kwh of electricity while removing 2-3 lbs of water per hour. This is about 6,000 btus of heat. X2 12,000 btus. What is the resulting temp/%RH? In warm temperature, they also remove less moisture. They are probably running much more than required.

Another solution is get a good high efficiency dehumidifier like a Whole house Ultra-Aire 98H that uses 50%less energy. If only basement, check out the Santa Fe Campact 2 also high efficiency, a single 70 pint will handle 1,500 sq.ft. while raising the temperature 3-5^F.
    Give the ones you have by confirming that they both are removing water as advertised raising the set to give them a fighting chance.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    +1 on dehumidifier.