Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    That was 1963. I was 12 years old. Was at home from school ill that day. Was watching black and white TV when it was announced. Called to my mom to let her know. She was vacuuming and got mad at me for trying to fool her as she figured I had to be making it up.

That event changed our lives for the next several weeks while we remained riveted to the news and subsequent events as well as the funeral. Our family was not a fan of JFK but we were personally hurt for the country and the Kennedy family. So very, very sad.

Like 9/11, those are events we instantly recall where we were when we got the news.
    I was born a year or so later. Bunch of old farts in here. LOL
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    I was born a year or so later. Bunch of old farts in here. LOL
    Heck, I'm so old, I'm farting dust.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". -Vernon Law-

"Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" - Unknown

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble".

Post Likes
    Well most of you all won't believe what happened when I heard about Kennedy being shot. You see I was in a restaurant eating lunch in a cafeteria in Mississippi.

Well some gal listening to her transistor radio heard that Kennedy had been shot and she shouted "Kennedy has been shot".

There was an immediate uproar everyone thinking someone shot the Robert Kennedy the attorney general whom everyone hated in Mississippi at the time for pushing for integration of the colleges in Mississippi and the South with U of Mississippi being forced to integrate the year before.

I was at Miss State Univ. which didn't integrate till 1968. Anyhow the gal then hollered no President Kennedy was shot then everything went silent.

No one wanted JFK assassinated but everyone was thinking someone took Robert out which would have made most folks happy here.

Went back to the dorm and everyone was glued to the TV feeling bad and it happened in Dallas and everyone thought it would be blamed on the South like when Lincoln was assassinated.

Then went to a class at 3 and the professor came him with a shocked and very mournful look on his face and asked what the hell we were doing here, well the school hadn't called off classes but he was beside himself and dismissed us.

Apparently we were one to the few colleges that didn't dismiss class that afternoon or the next day. The professor left next semester and joined the Peace Core.

In White grammar schools through out the rural South kids were hollering because most of there parents disliked Kennedy and they were immature and didn't understand it all.

Only one school got reported by the national press for the disturbance and that was in West Point Mississippi. But it was epidemic everywhere in the South including the grammar / high school I went to in Ooltewah, TN.

Most folks of course though out the South were shocked and sad about JFK getting killed and no one knew that Oswald was a commie and not a Southerner. Anyhow things were different when and where I was when Kennedy got assassinated that's for sure.

Let me tell you up front I was sure sad and shocked by it while I didn't care much at that time for Robert Kennedy forcing changes in the South I sure didn't want to see the President killed.

Other than that, I generally liked Kennedy because he stood up to the Soviet Union but I didn't like him backing down on supporting our CIA sponsored mercenaries during the Bay of pigs fiasco. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    Grade school for JFK

In London ON for the towers.. Took forever to get back home to MT. Very hectic for those traveling. Was scheduled to fly into Boston on the 12th! Needless to say, that plan went south quickly...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Well most of you all won't believe what happened when I heard about Kennedy being shot. You see I was in a restaurant eating lunch in a cafeteria in Mississippi.

Well some gal listening to her transistor radio heard that Kennedy had been shot and she shouted "Kennedy has been shot".

There was an immediate uproar everyone thinking someone shot the Robert Kennedy the attorney general whom everyone hated in Mississippi at the time for pushing for integration of the colleges in Mississippi and the South with U of Mississippi being forced to integrate the year before.

I was at Miss State Univ. which didn't integrate till 1968. Anyhow the gal then hollered no President Kennedy was shot then everything went silent.

No one wanted JFK assassinated but everyone was thinking someone took Robert out which would have made most folks happy here.

Went back to the dorm and everyone was glued to the TV feeling bad and it happened in Dallas and everyone thought it would be blamed on the South like when Lincoln was assassinated.

Then went to a class at 3 and the professor came him with a shocked and very mournful look on his face and asked what the hell we were doing here, well the school hadn't called off classes but he was beside himself and dismissed us.

Apparently we were one to the few colleges that didn't dismiss class that afternoon or the next day. The professor left next semester and joined the Peace Core.

In White grammar schools through out the rural South kids were hollering because most of there parents disliked Kennedy and they were immature and didn't understand it all.

Only one school got reported by the national press for the disturbance and that was in West Point Mississippi. But it was epidemic everywhere in the South including the grammar / high school I went to in Ooltewah, TN.

Most folks of course though out the South were shocked and sad about JFK getting killed and no one knew that Oswald was a commie and not a Southerner. Anyhow things were different when and where I was when Kennedy got assassinated that's for sure.

Let me tell you up front I was sure sad and shocked by it while I didn't care much at that time for Robert Kennedy forcing changes in the South I sure didn't want to see the President killed.

Other than that, I generally liked Kennedy because he stood up to the Soviet Union but I didn't like him backing down on supporting our CIA sponsored mercenaries during the Bay of pigs fiasco. Thank you, thank you very much
    VERY nice comment Glen, until you posted it I'd never had any clue there was a 'confederate issue' involved. Great post buddy!
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

6. Likes glennac liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    VERY nice comment Glen, until you posted it I'd never had any clue there was a 'confederate issue' involved. Great post buddy!

Good comments... and I am going to get on the soapbox.

I was in High School in Mississippi during the "integration era" that Glenn referred to.
    The county I was in had a "white" and a "black" high school.
    They closed the "black" school and moved EVERYONE to one school. The first week was tense and that was an understatement. But not only for the reason MOST think of first. You see the "black" community did not want "their" school closed and pushed into ONE school. During the first week at the start of the day there was a Hugh fight that broke out between both sides in the very front of the school. The teachers and administrators broke it up and it was very tense the rest of the week. The rest of the year things calmed down and life went on.

Today I live in about the same area and have friends and acquaintances from both sides. When we sit down and talk, to the one they say, "That was a different time".
    NOBODY thinks the same way.

My reason for this somewhat long post is.....
    You CANNOT look back on history, with eyes of today.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

8. Likes glennac liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    Good comments... and I am going to get on the soapbox.

I was in High School in Mississippi during the "integration era" that Glenn referred to.
    The county I was in had a "white" and a "black" high school.
    They closed the "black" school and moved EVERYONE to one school. The first week was tense and that was an understatement. But not only for the reason MOST think of first. You see the "black" community did not want "their" school closed and pushed into ONE school. During the first week at the start of the day there was a Hugh fight that broke out between both sides in the very front of the school. The teachers and administrators broke it up and it was very tense the rest of the week. The rest of the year things calmed down and life went on.

Today I live in about the same area and have friends and acquaintances from both sides. When we sit down and talk, to the one they say, "That was a different time".
    NOBODY thinks the same way.

My reason for this somewhat long post is.....
    You CANNOT look back on history, with eyes of today.
    Yeah... one must interpret history based on the times...
    Or one is guaranteed to mis-understand the lessons of that event.

I was in the 4th grade... someone came into the room and whispered in the teachers ear, then the announcement... then school went on.

Now the twin towers... was packing up my van to go to a job... neighbor came out and said I needed to go inside and turn on the news... did not say...
    Needless to say... I did not get to the jobsite that day... until lunchtime.

I really hope we are learning from history...
    Because I would hate to repeat these hard learned lessons...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Post Likes

Post Likes
    I was in the Army in Germany. I don't remember who told me about JFK getting shot but it was never formally announced. The news of it was just passed along.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    I was in the Army in Germany. I don't remember who told me about JFK getting shot but it was never formally announced. The news of it was just passed along.
    My 1st cousin was in Germany somewhere, in that time period. I’m researching him with the Military Personal Records in St. Louis. I requested his duty stations and awards and dec. and medical records. I’ve had good luck getting records from them for family members, including mine. I told his daughter I would do that for her, so she can know more about him prior to marriage.

All I know was he was drafted by the Army and served 2 years in the very early 60’s and was assigned to a Tank Corp. while in Germany. Believe he said they use to ride around sometimes on the roads of the small rural towns in their tanks. Remember him bringing back a cuckoo clock made there. If I remember ( they told me mid August time frame ) I’ll try to post the base.

I know Elvis was stationed in Germany when he got drafted.

I did a short tour while in the Air Force at Bremerhaven a base called Nordholz
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 06-25-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    My 1st cousin was in Germany somewhere, in that time period. I’m researching him with the Military Personal Records in St. Louis. I requested his duty stations and awards and dec. and medical records. I’ve had good luck getting records from them for family members, including mine. I told his daughter I would do that for her, so she can know more about him prior to marriage.

All I know was he was drafted by the Army and served 2 years in the very early 60’s and was assigned to a Tank Corp. while in Germany. Believe he said they use to ride around sometimes on the roads of the small rural towns in their tanks. Remember him bringing back a cuckoo clock made there. If I remember ( they told me mid August time frame ) I’ll try to post the base.

I know Elvis was stationed in Germany when he got drafted.

I did a short tour while in the Air Force at Bremerhaven a base called Nordholz
    I visited Germany in the spring of 2001. Seeing some of my 2nd cousins on my dad's side. They were sons of some of my dad's cousins. My dad never visited Germany and was born in 1908 in TN as my fraternal grandparents immigrated to the US in 1888.

Anyhow my "cousins" told me they took it real hard when they heard Kennedy was assassinated as hard as anyone here did. His speech at the Berlin Wall electrified Germany and they loved him ever since. civis Romanus sum means citizen of Rome. Check it out. Thank you, thank you very much

"Two thousand years ago— Two thousand years ago, the proudest boast was "civis Romanus sum." Today, in the world of freedom, the proudest boast is "Ich bin ein Berliner."

There are many people in the world who really don't understand, or say they don't, what is the great issue between the free world and the Communist world.

Let them come to Berlin.

There are some who say— there are some who say that communism is the wave of the future.

Let them come to Berlin."

https://genius.com/John-f-kennedy-ic...iner-annotated
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    I was in Elementary School. They didn't tell us kids at first, the teachers including some of the men teachers were sobbing in the hallway. We kids were scared Sh****ss, our area was considered Ground Zero, due to two rivers coming together. They didn't tell us till we were dismissed, which was at our regular time. JFK wasn't well liked in our area, but it had a tremendous impact on everyone.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    I visited Germany in the spring of 2001. Seeing some of my 2nd cousins on my dad's side. They were sons of some of my dad's cousins. My dad never visited Germany and was born in 1908 in TN as my fraternal grandparents immigrated to the US in 1888.

Anyhow my "cousins" told me they took it real hard when they heard Kennedy was assassinated as hard as anyone here did. His speech at the Berlin Wall electrified Germany and they loved him ever since. civis Romanus sum means citizen of Rome. Check it out. Thank you, thank you very much

"Two thousand years ago— Two thousand years ago, the proudest boast was "civis Romanus sum." Today, in the world of freedom, the proudest boast is "Ich bin ein Berliner."

There are many people in the world who really don't understand, or say they don't, what is the great issue between the free world and the Communist world.

Let them come to Berlin.

There are some who say— there are some who say that communism is the wave of the future.

Let them come to Berlin."

https://genius.com/John-f-kennedy-ic...iner-annotated
    When I was stationed for the short TDY in Germany ( September 1989 ) I asked a local German man who worked on the base and spoke very good English if and when will the Berlin Wall fall. His response was ahhh...never going to see it happen in my lifetime!....I’m sure to his dismay and many in the world it happened 3 months later..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast