Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes

Old Guys; Do you recall where you were and what you were doing when JFK was shot?

That was 1963. I was 12 years old. Was at home from school ill that day. Was watching black and white TV when it was announced. Called to my mom to let her know. She was vacuuming and got mad at me for trying to fool her as she figured I had to be making it up.

That event changed our lives for the next several weeks while we remained riveted to the news and subsequent events as well as the funeral. Our family was not a fan of JFK but we were personally hurt for the country and the Kennedy family. So very, very sad.

Like 9/11, those are events we instantly recall where we were when we got the news.
    "No matter how thirsty your imagination, mirages contain no water"

Post Likes
    I was 5. Too young to really be impacted. But I remember where I was when I was told. In a basement in Missouri. That's all I remember.

Post Likes
    I already gave the CIA my where abouts... It panned out and I was released from custody.

But no I do not remember what I was doing that day... Back then I had little interest in politics so the event did not have the same impact memory wise as it would compared to when I started careing about what was going on.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Guy View Post
    I already gave the CIA my where abouts... It panned out and I was released from custody.

But no I do not remember what I was doing that day... Back then I had little interest in politics so the event did not have the same impact memory wise as it would compared to when I started careing about what was going on.
    Wow, that is amazing depending on how old you were at the time. That was a big event to not recall unless you were far too young. How old were you in 63?

Post Likes
    I was in the last year or so of elementary school seating in a class, a women came into our room and whispered something into our teachers ear. After she left our female teacher stood up from her chair in front of us and mentioned that the president was shot and that the school was dismissing students early.

6. Likes captube liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    Wow, that is amazing depending on how old you were at the time. That was a big event to not recall unless you were far too young. How old were you in 63?
    I don't like to give my age on here..but I will say I didn't find out about the shooting until afterwards next day or two..I just tossed it in with violence in General and didn't pay any attention to politics then.

Post Likes
    On a lighter note in that time period the Beatles took the world by storm, already knocking out several hits in 63 before coming to the USA in early 64. They ushered in the British Invasion....and experienced that also..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    ... school was dismissing students early.
    I recall school was dismissed early but too young to understand the import of JFK's assination. What left an impact was seeing my Mother sobbing when I came in the house, a stoic farm woman I had never seen crying before. The next few days the TV had nothing but non-stop coverage as the nation mourned.

The Democrat Party of JFK is dead. Today he would be closer to the Tea Party & villified by today's DemoncRAT Party.
    "Here's to you and here's to me,
    Friends may we always be!
    But, if by chance we disagree,
    Up yours! Here's to me!"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by biodieselman View Post
    I recall school was dismissed early but too young to understand the import of JFK's assination. What left an impact was seeing my Mother sobbing when I came in the house, a stoic farm woman I had never seen crying before. The next few days the TV had nothing but non-stop coverage as the nation mourned.

The Democrat Party of JFK is dead. Today he would be closer to the Tea Party & villified by today's DemoncRAT Party.
    Spot on there deiselman. JFK would be considered a conservative by today's standards. He was a class act in spite of his moral failings. Teddy K had little in common with his brother.

Post Likes
    I was in the 5th grade and I remember them putting in on the intercom for all to hear.
    At home everyone was glued to the TV....

It is amazing how you can remember things due to a major event.
    When I usually can't remember what I had for breakfast.....

Do you remember what you were doing when the twin towers fell?
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    I was in the 5th grade and I remember them putting in on the intercom for all to hear.
    At home everyone was glued to the TV....

It is amazing how you can remember things due to a major event.
    When I usually can't remember what I had for breakfast.....

Do you remember what you were doing when the twin towers fell?

When the first tower when down I was in a gas station paying for fuel. We were all in disbelief (three of us including the cashier) at what we were viewing. It was like a nightmare. Then as we remained glued to the TV a short time later the second plane hit. I remember the very gas station and the cashier. As you stated, it is amazing the detail we can recall at those historical moments. Not so sure what I had for breakfast.

Post Likes
    7th grade history class, come across the classroom speaker. One of our coaches was also a history teacher, some dumb kid laughed, I think it was just an unbelievable reaction, but Coach Cole wasn’t laughing. I thought he was going to send that kid through the wall, never so our coach so upset.

It was a very somber feeling for us, lots of kids and teachers crying, I think I was just in shock, just never imagined anything like this happening, that was a memory I’ll never forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" ~ Unknown

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    When the first tower when down I was in a gas station paying for fuel. We were all in disbelief (three of us including the cashier) at what we were viewing. It was like a nightmare. Then as we remained glued to the TV a short time later the second plane hit. I remember the very gas station and the cashier. As you stated, it is amazing the detail we can recall at those historical moments. Not so sure what I had for breakfast.
    Im only 50 , but I do remember the twin towers like it was yesterday , I was watching the traffic report to see which roads to travel when the show switched to live broadcast , and I was like , how in the hell did that pilot not even see that big ass tower ?? Then I saw the second hit and was like , oh dam that wasnt an accident!

I can still see the Space Shuttle blow up too.

Teacher had a television in the classroom that morning and we all watched it take off , then all the sudden pieces went all over the place and we were like , what was that ? But the count down clock was still going so we assumed it was part of the flight , but then we couldnt see any smoke from the burners anymore , and soon after they said something went wrong , and my classmates were like ... yea but they all have parachutes so they are ok

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast