Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Is this on a MH/modular home?

If so, then an additional return should have been added to the home, and the smallest return flex duct size for the unit is 16".

Smallest flex sizes for that model line is 14" supply, 16" return. Larger units are 14" supply, and 18" return.

Did you install this, or a contractor?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Is this on a MH/modular home?

If so, then an additional return should have been added to the home, and the smallest return flex duct size for the unit is 16".

Smallest flex sizes for that model line is 14" supply, 16" return. Larger units are 14" supply, and 18" return.

Did you install this, or a contractor?
    This is a mobile home. I have only seen 14" Goodman square to round adapters, not sure a 16" would fit on it.

Just crawled out from underneath the trailer and oh geez. I replaced the packaged unit and I thought everything underneath was done by a contractor on the original one and boy was I wrong. I should have checked every little detail but I wanted to be cool.

Turns out the original return flex duct is 14" and the original supply is 12". But something happened as there were splices about 8' from the old unit.

Since I only checked the outermost duct pieces I thought everything was 12". Today I decided to check a splice I saw on the return but never checked. "They" spliced a 12" flex to a 14" flex WITH A 12-12 HOME MADE CONNECTOR AND DUCT TAPE! It was leaking condensation like crazy. Luckily I had a 14"-12" converter, mastic tape and zip ties. So I redid that splice but it's still wrong as there's about six to eight feet of 12" instead of 14". So I will be getting a whole new 14" flex duct to run a new return.

The original supply is 12", so I'm going to try and leave that at 12" for now. I don't think I could replace it, at least not during the summer.

Learning a lot though! Thanks for all the help!

Edit: but, now I understand why it's sweating. That 12 to 14 splice is restricting the airflow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by alexFL View Post
    This is a mobile home. I have only seen 14" Goodman square to round adapters, not sure a 16" would fit on it.

Just crawled out from underneath the trailer and oh geez. I replaced the packaged unit and I thought everything underneath was done by a contractor on the original one and boy was I wrong. I should have checked every little detail but I wanted to be cool.

Turns out the original return flex duct is 14" and the original supply is 12". But something happened as there were splices about 8' from the old unit.

Since I only checked the outermost duct pieces I thought everything was 12". Today I decided to check a splice I saw on the return but never checked. "They" spliced a 12" flex to a 14" flex WITH A 12-12 HOME MADE CONNECTOR AND DUCT TAPE! It was leaking condensation like crazy. Luckily I had a 14"-12" converter, mastic tape and zip ties. So I redid that splice but it's still wrong as there's about six to eight feet of 12" instead of 14". So I will be getting a whole new 14" flex duct to run a new return.

The original supply is 12", so I'm going to try and leave that at 12" for now. I don't think I could replace it, at least not during the summer.

Learning a lot though! Thanks for all the help!

Edit: but, now I understand why it's sweating. That 12 to 14 splice is restricting the airflow.
    Goodman has the adapters in the sizes I said.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Goodman has the adapters in the sizes I said.
    Yes, I believe those are Goodman SQRPCH101 but they're bigger than my unit openings. Just measured, the supply square is 14" x 14" and my return is 24" x 14". When I installed the square to round adapters they were a perfect fit over the lip on the unit. I don't see any 16" square to round that are compatible with my model as they require at least 16"x16".

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    The 101 is the smaller one, they also have the larger one. Made for that unit.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    Why not call a real contractor and have this done correctly? You will save money in the long run.
    Doug

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Why not call a real contractor and have this done correctly? You will save money in the long run.
    If all else fails, that's the plan. Hopefully before everything just fails.

I've had techs come out to fix/fill the old unit, no one ever checked the duct work or even suggested to question it. Wish I had checked it a long time ago now but at least I'm now more familiar with what I have under there.

I noticed there was some condensation inside the blower area. So I switched the blower fan to high instead of the default medium. Hopefully this dries it out though at the cost of less cooling from what I understand.

Post Likes
    I was able to get some R6 14" flex duct. I replaced the old R4 from the return to the unit that had the 14" to 12" splice. It's now all 14" from the return to the unit.

I also added 90 elbows to the unit so I didn't have to flex the duct too much from under the house. The unit is 3' off the ground as I'm a couple of blocks from the gulf. Then I realized how much easier flex is because wrapping insulation is HARD.

The condensation was still there this morning on the outside and inside of the blower side. On the outside the condensation forms primarily around the blower area that's cold. So I'm wondering how it would be possible to get rid of it if that area is always cool? The dew point was 83 this morning with 90% humidity around 84 temp. The unit barely has any insulation on the blower side, it's barely an inch thick inside. It seems that in order for it to not form there would have to be A LOT more insulation in or around the blower area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12