+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fieldpiece Job link proves

Post Likes

Fieldpiece Job link proves

Hi all,

So I just received a set of the Job Link probes from Fieldpiece. They seem really cool for the most part, but I have a question for those of you who also have them. Are the fittings on the pressure probes slightly shallow, as in not as deep as normal hose fittings? I had a really hard time getting them attached to my unit at the house and finally realized that there doesn’t seem to be as much thread as on normal hose fittings...not sure if it’s just me not being used to them or what?

Also, how prevalent are the connection issues? As in the connecting and reconnecting? I had some issues, but not terrible, I was also going through a stone wall. My iPad seemed to have slightly less trouble though so maybe it’s just my phone? I plan to try measurequick as well but didn’t get to yet.

Looking forward to all feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    I don't have a set of those, but.. 1) make sure the o-rings are seated down well 2) check that the schrader depressors are screwed in well 3) if you want to compare to your manifold hoses, just count the exposed threads and then let us all know.

Post Likes
    I have not had any problems attaching my Job probes to a condensing unit.I have a charging tee attached to the low side probe to add gas.If you think the threads are short, maybe add a quick connect charging tee to the probes.yellow jacket and appoint make a good charging tee with a finger tight connection.You could also use a core remover to attach your probe, then you have a shutoff and an extra port .

Post Likes
    No, they look to be standard fittings. I've been using a set for over a year now and no problems.
    As to connection issues, well that's a mixed bag, with some really good news. First, let's talk about the FP app. It is sketchy, some phones/tablets it likes will have only minor connection issues. If it doesn't like your device, you're in for a long, aggravating time. I only use the FP app when I just want a quick pressure, or temp, or weight scale reading. It'll work, and you can service systems with it, but it can, sometimes, be frustrating. It is a vast improvement from when it first came out, but it still can have it's moments.

The good news is, if you use your probes with MeasureQuick, you'll have no problems at all. MQ is a more robust app, with lots of details about your equipment, similar to iMan. It is, in my book, the best app out there and connection issues are non existant with it and FP probes. I've never had a problem since I started using it. It does have a learning curve, but nothing extraordinary. You'll be glad you use it for sure.

As to probe distance, it's a non issue for me. I've never had a problem, even around commercial buildings. I can get roughly 300 ft line of sight at my house, even with one garage wall in between it still goes that far, More walls, obviously mean less distance, but I've never had an issue that I couldn't move one way or another and solve it. Most of the time, it's just not an issue.

I've gone to not using a manifold ever, and so far, I haven't had any need to go back, that's how good they are.

Hope this helps

5. Likes TruTech-Bill liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have this exact problem with my Fieldpiece probes as well. 90% of service valves I can get a bite on, but the rest I have to resort to a charging tee or hose. The threaded fitting is definitely more shallow on the probe than any of my other tools. I purchased the whole JL3KH6 kit new in June, 2020. These have been great tools apart from this frustration. I wonder now if the fittings were manufactured out of specification on some.

Benjamin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    Buy a core depressor. Problem solved.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    I just checked mine and they are exactly the same as a YJ hose end. Here's some pics. I'm guessing there's a manufacturing defect.

Post Likes
    Thanks for checking yours! It looks like I'll be contacting Fieldpiece about this. My YJ Mantooth 67002 probes pull in 1 or 2 threads further. I still prefer using the Fieldpiece over my "nunchuck" probes.

Using a core depressor has been a workable solution but it's an added step that I'd rather not deal with. I wish the probe had a manual core depressor! That would seem to be the best way to minimize refrigerant losses.

Benjamin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    Holy cow! Batman, that looks like not near enough engagement. Just from your previous picture, it looks like the inner barrel that holds the gasket to too tall. Wow, that's surprising, I'm sure FP will make it right. Good luck..

Post Likes
    Just an update. Fieldpiece sent me two new ones and I just shipped the bad ones back. I'm very glad that I didn't have to send them off and wait for a repair! Just out of curiosity, before I packed up the bad ones I checked their readings against the new ones. All four were within a half psi of each other at 134 psi. I'm glad I ran across this thread and Fieldpiece took care of the issue!

Benjamin

Post Likes
    Fantastic, I was sure they'd get you taken care of. I use mine almost everyday, and I got them shortly before they were released, and no problems. I just wish FP would straighten out the app, but I realize the cost involved in a revamp is tremendous.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in