Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Cool on but hot air blasting

We came back from vacation last fall and the house was literally 113 degrees and the thermostat still said "cool on" but HOT air was blowing from the vents. (We had a separate thermometer because the wall thermostat only goes to 99 degrees). We live in NC so it's still pretty warm in September but it was only in the low 80s outside. Called the hvac place (on a Sunday) and they came and replaced the thermostat but it took a good 24 hours to cool the house back down. It melted all my candles flat and killed my house plants and the water from the cold water spigot was very hot so I'm thinking it had been running like that at least a couple of days. It was fine thru the winter but now it's happened several times again this year since running the a/c. One of those times was when we're were gone again for a few days and returned to that hellish heat. My husband will cut it off and back on and it goes back to cold air. Otherwise, we catch it pretty quick when we're here. Today it happened while he was gone and I cut it off and was going to wait until it cut off entirely then cut it back on, but after 15 minutes it never stopped running but the air wasn't hot anymore nor was it cold. I don't think my husband had waited before to see if it'll cut off altogether so I'm not sure if it not cutting off at all is a new problem or if it would've done it before. So I flipped it back to cool and it's working normally now and is cutting off like it should when it meets the temperature setting. I'm fed up and ready to replace the whole thing. It's a 10 year old Goodman and it seems like everything has been replaced since we've had it but it was always problems with the heat, not the a/c. Also since this problem started my husband used Foaming Coil Cleaner a couple of weeks ago and we always replace the return filters as recommended. He also checked for loose wires (he's a licensed electrician but not an HVAC person......lol) I'm scared to death to leave our dogs home alone even for just a couple of hours because when we're here and it happens it starts getting hot in the house pretty quick. It's so random and we never know when it'll happen again. It may be a few hours, days or even a couple of weeks. The technician can never come when it's blowing hot air because we can't stand the heat and of course it's running normally by the time they can get here which is never the same day unless we call after hours then it's an emergency service fee. Not to mention the money spent for other service calls that were totally non- productive. We just want to know what it could possibly be before we pay for yet another service call. Plus I think we're probably going to find a new repair person to call. Sorry this is so long!

Post Likes
    In all honesty, if the tech needs to be there in person when it happens, what chance do we have over the internet?
    Something appears to be happening with the outdoor unit, its components-something sticking/bad/loose, broken wire, or something electrically more serious. I wouldn't play with it because you could make it worse, or damage other components.

You could either put in a wifi thermostat (NOT a NEST) so you can get alerts when the AC rises a few degrees above set point, giving you time to call/correct the situation before the temperature gets too hot, or you are going to have to pay the piper (emergency service fee) and have the hvac tech come out while it's not working correctly.
    Uh...Google it yourself!

Post Likes
    I am guessing you have electric heat, probably a sequencer needs replaced.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MarlieP View Post
    I think we're probably going to find a new repair person to call.
    We could not possibly give you any better advice than that.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". -Vernon Law-

"Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" - Unknown

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble".

Post Likes
    Is this a heat pump?

If it is have a tech see if the Reversing valve stays energized while the thermostat is in cooling or if it is energized only when the thermostat calls for cooling?

It may seem like a subtle difference but the one way the RV has to switch every session, the other only once per season.

Post Likes
    I don’t know that a tech needs to be here when it happens. I was just assuming that it would best bc I don’t know anything about it and when we explained to the tech he was clueless but thank you for your response.

Post Likes
    Yes, it is a heat pump and thank you for your response!

Post Likes
    Have your new tech check the outside unit for proper operation in all modes.
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Post Likes
    Yes, it is a heat pump and thank you for your response!
    My suspicion is that it is set up to switch every time and part of the time it is not switching. It should be set up to switch when switched to cool and stay there till switched to "off" or heat.

Post Likes
    Mr Bill........I agree 😁

Post Likes
    Thanks to all! We have gotten a couple of numbers from friends for other techs. These friends used to do business with the same place we were but not now. The business used to be a good place and family owned but they retired and sold it and now they’re not so good anymore. You all have been very helpful and now we at least have a few ideas to run by the new tech ��

Post Likes
    If the call is for cooling but hot air is coming out - the heat is clearly on.

Do you have a heat pump system?

Do you have electric auxiliary / backup heat?

Do you have a dual fuel system with gas or oil to supplement the heat pump?

Do you have natural gas or propane heat?

Do you have oil heat?

Before the thermostat was replaced - could the 'heat is on' malady be corrected by powering down and then back up? In other words; did both thermostats act the same way in terms of you being able to temporarily resolve the issue?

What brand of thermostat did you have originally?

What brand of thermostat do you have now?

PHM
    ----------------

We came back from vacation last fall and the house was literally 113 degrees and the thermostat still said "cool on" but HOT air was blowing from the vents. (We had a separate thermometer because the wall thermostat only goes to 99 degrees). We live in NC so it's still pretty warm in September but it was only in the low 80s outside. Called the hvac place (on a Sunday) and they came and replaced the thermostat but it took a good 24 hours to cool the house back down. It melted all my candles flat and killed my house plants and the water from the cold water spigot was very hot so I'm thinking it had been running like that at least a couple of days. It was fine thru the winter but now it's happened several times again this year since running the a/c. One of those times was when we're were gone again for a few days and returned to that hellish heat. My husband will cut it off and back on and it goes back to cold air. Otherwise, we catch it pretty quick when we're here. Today it happened while he was gone and I cut it off and was going to wait until it cut off entirely then cut it back on, but after 15 minutes it never stopped running but the air wasn't hot anymore nor was it cold. I don't think my husband had waited before to see if it'll cut off altogether so I'm not sure if it not cutting off at all is a new problem or if it would've done it before. So I flipped it back to cool and it's working normally now and is cutting off like it should when it meets the temperature setting. I'm fed up and ready to replace the whole thing. It's a 10 year old Goodman and it seems like everything has been replaced since we've had it but it was always problems with the heat, not the a/c. Also since this problem started my husband used Foaming Coil Cleaner a couple of weeks ago and we always replace the return filters as recommended. He also checked for loose wires (he's a licensed electrician but not an HVAC person......lol) I'm scared to death to leave our dogs home alone even for just a couple of hours because when we're here and it happens it starts getting hot in the house pretty quick. It's so random and we never know when it'll happen again. It may be a few hours, days or even a couple of weeks. The technician can never come when it's blowing hot air because we can't stand the heat and of course it's running normally by the time they can get here which is never the same day unless we call after hours then it's an emergency service fee. Not to mention the money spent for other service calls that were totally non- productive. We just want to know what it could possibly be before we pay for yet another service call. Plus I think we're probably going to find a new repair person to call. Sorry this is so long!
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Poodle Head Mikey we have a heat pump that has electric auxiliary / back up heat but no gas, oil, natural gas or propane with the system or as a back up. Yes to being able to correct it with the old thermostat as well as the new one. Both are Honeywell (exactly the same) and the first thermostat was on there since we had the unit put in nearly 10 years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast