Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Nubrite is good at etching aluminum.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    Put a coat spray paint on it. Tell them if it fail it's no longer under warranty give them the option.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    paint a spiral on the blades and hypnotize the customer! no more phone calls!
    remember, with electronics; when its brown,its cooking and when its black, its done!!!

Post Likes
    There are some products out there that spray on a dull finish, but this sounds like a ridicules customer complaint.. I would just explain that you cant compromise the balancing of the fan to the customer by applying anything directly to the blades (If that's the case). Or you could try a thin coat of bee's-wax.

Post Likes
    what about just removing the fan blades...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy1949 View Post
    Put a warning label on the condenser : Do Not Look At Blades .
    and

In California May cause cancer!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by samgevas View Post
    I have a recent install where the customer is complaining about sunlight being reflected off of the aluminum blades.

I've never had this issue and I'm wondering if any of you have come up with a more elegant solution than just painting the blades.

I'm pretty sure painting them would raise eyebrows if the bade every needed to be warrantied
    That’s the only thing they can complain about.........

Excellent!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    That’s the only thing they can complain about.........

Excellent!
    Sounds like they don't want to pay the bill.

Post Likes
    Wipe the aluminum blades down with white vinegar a few times to etch them so the paint will stick and and then when it's dry the final time spray the blades with a flat neutral color.

All T&M of course.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    has to be top 3 dumbest requests of all time..omg

Post Likes
    Ya just can't fix neurosis. Try to spin it by saying the shiny blades are necessary to make sure the air doesn't stick to them.
    I once had a neighbor that complained the shiny metal roof on the house across the way bothered her. She was going to ask them to paint it. Ya right!
    Find an exit strategy and don't answer the phone. The reason I doubt I'd try to make these people happy is I'm not sure it's possible.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    I used to have a customer. Steam heat, one pipe, with cast iron radiators. Before she met me she didn't want to be BS'ed by the heating guys so she had bought all the standard steam system books and studied all about steam systems.

One day she called me: could I move a radiator for her?

Sure.

So I get there and she actually wants a radiator removed, a section taken out of it, and then re-installed in another room, in a spot where there had never been a radiator. And she wanted the radiator in the second room removed, all evidence of it eliminated, the removed section from the first radiator added to the 1st removed radiator, which was then to be installed in a different spot in the 1st room.

All surfaced-nailed and filled narrow-strip oak floors with a nice mahogany border detail along all the walls.

How much will that cost?

Who will do all the piping?

You.

Who will do all the woodwork?

You.

(this was a long time ago) Labor is $65. an hour. I can't estimate what I can't see. I'll do it all but only on a Time & Materials basis and I'll need to be paid at the end of every workday.

OK; when can you start?

After a while I found that she had been through every other heating and plumbing company in the county and all now universally refused to do any more work for her.

The oak flooring was shimmed level - with strips of newspaper. Sometimes just one, sometimes three or four. So the original installers had tediously leveled the thousands and thousands of 1" wide oak strips to within THOUSANDTHS of an inch of each other.

So I methodically repiped, side-drilled joists, patched underlayment planks, and re-shimmed the oak strips AND the mahogany detail. She should bring me a cup of tea every so often and use her fingernail to feel the joints.

It was zen-like work, very pleasant working conditions, and at the end of every day she would write me a check for $600. or so. After that job she apparently talked about me to every other old person with an ancient house and heating system and dozens of them eventually called me. And I did every other bizarro-world grade job she dreamed up. I couldn't go every day of course but every winter I would be there for a day or two every week.

Over the years I she must have paid me $100K. Probably more than that.

For years my standard joke was that I must be a Nut Magnet - because a large number of my most devoted customers were Genuinely nutballs. Which I always found interesting and so long as the checked cleared - what do I care? <g> Although I think the 'secret' of it was that I was generally so fascinated in their nutball chattering that I never questioned it. And I think that they thought that they had finally found someone who didn't think they were nuts. <g>

So; I'd paint the blades and charge them top dollar for the work. Smile in camaraderie, marvel in sympathy over why manufacturers don't think of these things, make a real nice job of it, and tell them to call you personally if they ever have any other problems.

So long as they don't run out of money - never forget that very often; YOU are their only option. <g>

For years I had customers who would call me to ask what car they should buy, what neighborhood I recommended, would I inspect their prospective new house for them, could I suggest a career or a college for their kids - all Kinds of stuff. I still have a guy who calls to talk about problems he's having with his son. <g>

PHM
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Ya just can't fix neurosis. Try to spin it by saying the shiny blades are necessary to make sure the air doesn't stick to them.
    I once had a neighbor that complained the shiny metal roof on the house across the way bothered her. She was going to ask them to paint it. Ya right!
    Find an exit strategy and don't answer the phone. The reason I doubt I'd try to make these people happy is I'm not sure it's possible.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Reverse the blade to pull the light in

14. Likes BALloyd liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast