Post Likes

Automated Logic BAS

Old job site was Siemens BAS and I knew that thing inside and out. Issue now is I started working with an Automated Logic BAS at the new site and were having nothing but problems. The building is brand new, and we are having issues with equipment switching over. For example the chiller stays enabled when we should be running the "free cooling" heat exchanger. I've been doing hours of research and cant seem to find much literature on the systems logic. At this point we don't have money in the budget for a service contract (Until next year). Simply looking for any help at this point, any and all info on Automated Logic would be a huge help. Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer708 View Post
    Old job site was Siemens BAS and I knew that thing inside and out. Issue now is I started working with an Automated Logic BAS at the new site and were having nothing but problems. The building is brand new, and we are having issues with equipment switching over. For example the chiller stays enabled when we should be running the "free cooling" heat exchanger. I've been doing hours of research and cant seem to find much literature on the systems logic. At this point we don't have money in the budget for a service contract (Until next year). Simply looking for any help at this point, any and all info on Automated Logic would be a huge help. Thanks
    Click the question mark on the top right hand corner of the screen. That'll give you all the basics and enough info to be dangerous. If it's new, it's under warranty. Pick the brains of the service tech who comes out. If he's worth a damn he'll be able to explain what to do.
    If it's out of warranty, pay for the day...well worth it since you got to live with it.
    Controls, the cause of... and solution to... all your HVAC problems.

Post Likes
    The programming is custom, not canned. You will find information on what the specific blocks in the programming do but not how to necessarily program the devices themselves.

The programming reads much like a one-line wiring diagram. If you see a tag/lable on an input or output you can click thst tag and see where it is used in that specific program.

If the program was set up correctly the Properties/Control Program tab will have a lot of information set up in a clean, logical order. You should probably have a tab that has a heading for free cooling or chiller operation. Look for an OA temp setting or perhaps an OA enthalpy setting to enable or disable the chiller.

It is very different fro. PPCL but if I can use it almost anyone should be able to.

Good luck!

Ken

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer708 View Post
    There are so many possibilities for the issues you are having i couldn't begin to list. The Logic Page is going to be the best place to start. The control program tab under properties in the action pane can help but this is created when the logic is written and alot of times will only allow for changes to setpoints, delays.... A lot of times there are variables and calculations that can only be accessed from the logic page. If you go to the logic page when (you are having these issues) and click the printer icon in the top right hand corner of the action pane you can print to PDF. This also shows the current values as they are shown on the screen. I can take a look at it for you. Depending on how your system was setup you may have a manager program with various equipment its controlling. If this is the case you will need to print all. Also where are you at. Im in texas and there is no free cooling for months. Also is your system setup to run the heat exchanger for free cooling in conjunction with the chillers running or is it one or the other.

Post Likes
    did you get it resolved?

Post Likes
    When was the project completed? Most ALC projects have a 1 year parts and labor warranty. The root of your problem likely lies in the logic page. If an ALC engineer created the program, there may be a lot of custom microblocks that can be difficult for the end user to decipher. I would call in your warranty, and specifically request the same lead technician who checked out your project.

Source: I am an ALC PM

Post Likes
    Name:  Bueller.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  20.1 KB
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein