Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    46
    Post Likes

    Line Set Under Concrete Walk Way - will this pass a Permit inspection - Los Angeles

    Hello, Thank You in advance for your help !

    I know this is long, but I thought I would give all the info - please help if you can.


    First a little info - old system & new system:

    So, I'm trying to help my elderly aunt with her broken AC.

    Location - Woodland Hills, CA 91367 (Los Angeles county)

    Will be replacing the 23 year old Coil and the Condenser. Coil has a leak at the inside coil (electronic sniffer found a leak, found by one of the Contractors submitting a bid). Also, condensate pan is rusted and has a small hole in the bottom (reason for getting a new system - found water on garage floor).


    Old system -

    Outside Condenser - 5 ton "Rheem Classic X" - Model # RAKA-060JAZ.

    Inside Coil - no name on the Coil except, "Refrigerant Evaporator" - Model # HCU 061 Q6 (Rheem could not find any information on this Coil).


    New system -

    Condenser Model # - Carrier 24AAA560A003

    Coil Model # - Carrier CNPVP6024ALA

    Includes: Safety Switch-Y / 1st Condensate Line-Y / 2nd Condensate Lines-No / Line Flush-Y
    /Condenser Pad-Y / Thermostat-Y / Switch Box-? / TXV R410A-Y / Earthquake Straps- Y / Insulation on refrigeration lines - ?



    Here Is The Issue:

    The Line Set runs underneath a concrete walkway - Hopefully someone will know this answer (or a direct Phone # I can call to verify what the code is), as I have received two different answers from the installers I have received bids from.

    Both estimates are for Permitted work.

    Installer A says - there is "no code requirement".

    Installer B says - "if there is an issue with the Permit, I will fight for you. The Line Set is pre-existing".

    There must be a code, right ?


    Best Guess / Problem:

    The Line Set runs underneath the concrete walk way on the side of the house. The Condenser unit is placed away from the house (on the other side of the concrete walk way). The Line Set goes under the concrete, then reappears a distance away, where it runs up the outside of the house, then goes into the attic.

    IF - the line set is placed under the concrete in an L shaped pattern - then the distance is 44" Width to the house. Then, if the Line Set continues to run in this L shaped pattern, this remaining distance is 13 Feet, 10 inches (13' 10") running parallel with the house (to where the Line Set reappears from under the concrete and runs up the outside of the house). IF - the Line Set runs at an angle (instead of the L shaped pattern) underneath the concrete walk way, then the total distance is shorter.

    The current Line Set will be reused for the New condenser and coil.

    Lastly, the Line Set seems to have black insulated rubber wrapped around the lines. As the Line Set exits the concrete walk way, there is just a little bit of black insulated rubber sticking out, wrapped around the lines.



    Remedy ? ? ?

    Here is my thinking on the Line Set running under the concrete walkway:

    The scenario I don't want to happen - is a city permit/inspector saying this is not to code - after the Condenser has already been installed. If there is any issue/problems, I would rather know the Issue / Cost / Remedy up front.

    This is what my Aunt and I are looking for to be assured this won't happen:

    1a.) This line set location/placement will pass the City Permit - as is, no additional work required or moving the lines ?

    1b.) My Aunt is looking for the Permit/City Code that says this line set location will pass the Permit.

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    40,363
    Post Likes
    First... burying a lineset is not really the best thing to do... as the contact with the ground will rob some of the efficiency.

    I suspect the line runs pretty straight to the unit.

    Question... is there any way to put the unit against the house where the line comes down, or close to there??? then use some decorative stones to extend the walkway around the unit???

    As to code... Since I am in GA (state), I do not know what CA/LA county will say...

    Someone from that market will come along and comment.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,063
    Post Likes
    Not sure about local and state codes, but Carriers install instructions limit buried lineset length to 36".
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

    Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    46
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    First... burying a lineset is not really the best thing to do... as the contact with the ground will rob some of the efficiency.

    I suspect the line runs pretty straight to the unit.

    Question... is there any way to put the unit against the house where the line comes down, or close to there??? then use some decorative stones to extend the walkway around the unit???

    As to code... Since I am in GA (state), I do not know what CA/LA county will say...

    Someone from that market will come along and comment.

    ga-hvac-tech thank you for your quick reply -

    Yes, I wish the line set was not done this way - done 23 year ago. Walk way is approx 44" wide, then a short 3 Foot approx. wall, then a steep hill.

    Where the Condenser is located is in an extension of the walk way in a concrete area. Only room for the Condenser, then the wall 7' approx then the hill.

    Short answer - no way to move Condenser anywhere on either side of the house (it would block the walkway). As for the back yard - it would have to sit in-between french doors and really mess up the configuration of the deck (plus cost).

    The installer suggested putting a 'trap' on the line set to help keep the 'oil' from the Compressor settling in the line underneath the concrete. As the old Condenser has been running for 23 years, with no problems - do you think this is necessary ? Suggestions ?

    Thank you

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Saint Pail, Minnesota
    Posts
    648
    Post Likes
    I don’t know about local codes as other have said as well. I am only commenting what on contractor said about the line set being pre existing. That is not a reason an inspector would pass it. If burying line sets is a violation in your area, it needs to be fixed. An installation has to be brought up to code, every aspect of it. How would you feel if an electrician installed a new breaker panel in your home but left the wiring from 1908?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    46
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    Not sure about local and state codes, but Carriers install instructions limit buried lineset length to 36".
    comfortdocthank you for your quick reply -

    I had read this line set limitation. This is another question for the installer. I just didn't get around to it as our meeting on Friday went poorly (see my other question posted today).

    1.) Is this for ALL carriers models ?

    2.) Based on this 36" limitation - as it says in the install guide - basically, "Don't Do This".

    What is your thought on ignoring the install instructions ? The current Condenser has been running for 23 years with this same Line Set (and is still running).

    3.) I just feel I am running out of options - I don't know if Lennox or American Standard also have this type of limitation ? ? ?

    Thank you

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    46
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnasty View Post
    I don’t know about local codes as other have said as well. I am only commenting what on contractor said about the line set being pre existing. That is not a reason an inspector would pass it. If burying line sets is a violation in your area, it needs to be fixed. An installation has to be brought up to code, every aspect of it. How would you feel if an electrician installed a new breaker panel in your home but left the wiring from 1908?
    Pnasty - Yes, I ABSOLUTELY agree. This will be permitted work. The 2 installers I have narrowed my choice down to have not been leaving me with a feeling of assurance. These are 2 installers with a long history and high online ratings.

    It seems it would be easy to know this permit code (as a professional HVAC installer), I just feel installers must encounter this exact set up all the time (existing line set running beneath concrete walk way). And one of the installers Only do permitted work as they are from a big box store.

    Thank you

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    40,363
    Post Likes
    Buried linesets were a 'cool' (aesthetic) thing decades back...
    That trend faded.

    Keep posting in your thread...
    Someone in your area will come along and see the thread!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,063
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Helping Aunt L View Post
    comfortdocthank you for your quick reply -

    I had read this line set limitation. This is another question for the installer. I just didn't get around to it as our meeting on Friday went poorly (see my other question posted today).

    1.) Is this for ALL carriers models ?

    2.) Based on this 36" limitation - as it says in the install guide - basically, "Don't Do This".

    What is your thought on ignoring the install instructions ? The current Condenser has been running for 23 years with this same Line Set (and is still running).

    3.) I just feel I am running out of options - I don't know if Lennox or American Standard also have this type of limitation ? ? ?

    Thank you
    If there are warranty issues that attract Carrier's attention they will void the warranty. Whether this is acceptable is up to Carrier's local tech support team.

    There are proper practices to follow when installing refrigerant lines under ground. Throwing them in a trench and covering with dirt is not one of them. Ask your contractor to get a letter from Carrier approving his plan. From your description the line-set will need to be replaced.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

    Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    22,231
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Helping Aunt L View Post
    Pnasty - Yes, I ABSOLUTELY agree. This will be permitted work. The 2 installers I have narrowed my choice down to have not been leaving me with a feeling of assurance. These are 2 installers with a long history and high online ratings.

    It seems it would be easy to know this permit code (as a professional HVAC installer), I just feel installers must encounter this exact set up all the time (existing line set running beneath concrete walk way). And one of the installers Only do permitted work as they are from a big box store.

    Thank you
    What the code enforcement officer want's and what the industry requires are miles apart. This is not a Code Issue its a technical issue for Carriers Engineers to answer!

    Can Line Sets be Buried YES but the installing contractor better have a good idea of what there doing or you'll pay over and over again.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil, EC
    Posts
    13,882
    Post Likes
    Since you are primarily concerned about the new system passing inspection due to the buried refrigerant piping, call your building department and get an inspector to look at the existing installation to give you a decision before you do the work.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    46
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Buried linesets were a 'cool' (aesthetic) thing decades back...
    That trend faded.

    Keep posting in your thread...
    Someone in your area will come along and see the thread!

    Thank you for your help. I have been helped immensely just by reading the other posts on this site. Now I'm just trying to confirm issues I don't understand (double checking with answers from this site VS what the installers are telling me) and make sure all the (hidden) costs are included in the estimates due to having this work Permitted.

    If this Line Set won't pass permit inspection - the cost, I assume, will skyrocket having to move the Condenser etc.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    22,231
    Post Likes
    Again I don’t see any code enforcement officer saying NO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •