Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Civility

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMasticator View Post
    Keep your chin up, MG...God made an allowance for parasites when He created all the world's creatures, so I suppose there's precedent for your kind too.
    He is so kind... Tell us where does God go on your graph !

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    Some already do, some might in the future, and alas, some never will. But that doesn't mean you or anyone else can't try. I really try and treat people with respect and empathy. People often have their opinions based on what they have seen and been exposed to all their lives. Who am I to say someone is totally right or totally wrong? I'd rather try and see where they are coming from and work within that to the best of my ability. I'm not as good as you with the written word, but trust me I can be lethal with verbal cutting attacks on people if I really wanted to. But in the end I think unless its an extreme case, I feel better taking the high road and being at least a little subtle and respectful whenever possible.
    I don't doubt your toughness, newold, exactly because you are calm and cool. In my experience, the toughest guys are the ones who avoid fights because they're really concerned about the other guy getting seriously hurt...LOL

If I haven't said it loud or often enough, I think you're a boss...in the best senses of the word: hella smart, highly adaptable, and very patient. And the same goes for your older cousin Special-K.

Anyway, your message is coming through loud and clear, and I will do my best to heed its wisdom.

3. Likes newoldtech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    We are trying to be-friend you, but you are really not making it easy. Can you not make your artfully worded points without the insults?

Aggressive insults are not an indicator of intelligence, no matter how carefully worded.

We are air-conditioner repairmen, we are not senators, lighten up a bit buddy.
    Tool...I say this in all seriousness. You have humbled me with your gracious words.

As I'm sure you recall, you and I have been locking horns in pretty much all of our recent encounters, so by extending an olive branch you have shown yourself, on this day, to be the more honorable man.

Respect.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Guy View Post
    He is so kind... Tell us where does God go on your graph !
    God is that which gives meaning to the scale, shedding light and opening eyes.

As I admitted, we are all God's creatures. (Backhanded compliment muted, with respect to a wise man I know named newoldtech.)

Post Likes
    MM has now switched to subtle mocking as a comeback strategy.
    "No matter how thirsty your imagination, mirages contain no water"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    MM has now switched to subtle mocking as a comeback strategy.
    Cut me some slack, why don't you, Hugh! I just made amends with multiple members in a span of no time at all. Even put you on my list of respectable conservatives in an earlier post!

What do I have to do to impress you? Spontaneously take vows of chastity, poverty, and silence?

Lord knows you all would be delighted if I would only commit to the last one!

Post Likes
    Tool...I say this in all seriousness. You have humbled me with your gracious words.

As I'm sure you recall, you and I have been locking horns in pretty much all of our recent encounters, so by extending an olive branch now you have shown yourself, at least on this day, to be the more honorable man.

Respect.

I think you are an outstanding word-smith, I want to help you fit in here and be part of our little community. We have a great bunch of guys here and much smarter on the IQ scale than average population.

Most of the topics are HEATED, and folks get crosswise, but that is just a result of toxic topics and intellectual contests. Best forum on the internet I am aware of since yahoo shut the message-boards down many years ago. Certainly not "IDIOT FREE" but generally smart posters here.

On this forum: be nice and make friends, we would all be entertained by your input, even if we disagree. You make incredibly fine points in your posts, there is no need to accentuate them with insults.

ARP is sort of a "Wild West" of forums, but we do have rules we have to enforce.

Find your nitch and fit in.

Luck buddy. If you continue with the insults, I am voting ban again, but I think our friendship has moved beyond that.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

Post Likes
    Cut me some slack, why don't you, Hugh! I just made amends with multiple members in a span of no time at all. Even put you on my list of respectable conservatives in an earlier post!

What do I have to do to impress you? Spontaneously take vows of chastity, poverty, and silence?

Lord knows you all would be delighted if I would only commit to the last one!

Mad, you are still mocking us. You have lost a great deal of trust here with many members. If you want respect now, you will have to earn it over time via civil discourse. The only change I detect so far is a change in strategy to include subtle mockery.
    "No matter how thirsty your imagination, mirages contain no water"

Post Likes
    Mad, you are still mocking us. You have lost a great deal of trust here with many members. If you want respect now, you will have to earn it over time via civil discourse. The only change I detect so far is a change in strategy to include subtle mockery.
    Give him some slack, he may be coming around. Second chance?

I expect he will change.

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

Post Likes
    Please, Hugh...bear with me because I am only now beginning to grasp how vastly differently our respective minds work, especially with regard to humor. And believe it or not, the full weight of that realization only registered upon reading your very last post. I say that because, in all honesty, my last post to you was not meant to carry anything like an insulting tone. It was written with a playful spirit, but nevertheless, it was also intended to convey a nod of respect, as I did in fact include you in a list of ARP conservatives I compiled earlier, conservatives I consider very articulate and knowledgeable in their own right.

I offer a humble apology for any unintended offense or irritation I may have caused.

Post Likes
    Tool, an apology to you also for not including you on that list. I let the residual bitterness from our last exchanges deny you your proper place on it.

Post Likes
    Tool, an apology to you also for not including you on that list. I let the residual bitterness from our last exchanges deny you your proper place on it.
    It's Ok buddy, I have very thick skin.

Post Likes
    God is that which gives meaning to the scale, shedding light and opening eyes.

As I admitted, we are all God's creatures. (Backhanded compliment muted, with respect to a wise man I know named newoldtech.)
    What meaning to the scale?
    With God are there not but two choices...right and wrong?
    Shedding light and opening eyes are done by revelations.
    Also one is not suppossed to add nor take away from the teachings .. you have written your own 'tablet' and attached God to it.

Post Likes
    What meaning to the scale?
    With God are there not but two choices...right and wrong?
    Shedding light and opening eyes are done by revelations.
    Also one is not suppossed to add nor take away from the teachings .. you have written your own 'tablet' and attached God to it.
    It's a pretty fair prediction to say you and I wouldn't see eye to eye on the subject of god, MG. Let's leave it at that.

Post Likes
    It's a pretty fair prediction to say you and I wouldn't see eye to eye on the subject of god, MG. Let's leave it at that.
    Well with so many levels in the chart and many are in relation to GOD..where are you on your chart.. your original or updated either will be fine.
    But...if your original chart is accurate as you have preached to us so many times... Then why the update?..Were these updates through God with you being the mediator...and when has God started changing his mind?...I know..after he had a discussion with you..Whoa!!..you are one important dude...
    Bows before you.

Post Likes
    Well with so many levels in the chart and many are in relation to GOD..where are you on your chart.. your original or updated either will be fine.
    But...if your original chart is accurate as you have preached to us so many times... Then why the update?..Were these updates through God with you being the mediator...and when has God started changing his mind?...I know..after he had a discussion with you..Whoa!!..you are one important dude...
    Bows before you.
    My scale was offered to assist in the discussion of what's common and what's dissimilar between conservatives and liberals, but also to drive home the point that extremists on both ends of the spectrum are consistently sabotaging any possibilities of dialogue or cooperation between the two camps.

Post Likes
    My scale was offered to assist in the discussion of what's common and what's dissimilar between conservatives and liberals, but also to drive home the point that extremists on both ends of the spectrum are consistently sabotaging any possibilities of dialogue or cooperation between the two camps.
    Fair enough.
    However one must not vote democrat under any circumstances until the public has cleaned house of them. It is hard to do when people keep voting for them.
    The Republican choices are not much better but it is the lesser of the current evil.
    Anyone that votes for a democrat is an extremist at this point...yes there is going to be opposition... It is what they have created... The Dems automatically go against the Reps regardless of the Bill.. therefore they have to be outed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    The arpc is very fair to everyone. I am VERY conservative and even a committee member and I earned infraction points twice, once since being on the committee.

ARP is a rough and tumble place, but there are rules and they are enforced. It's just not that we land hard on everything that qualifies as a rule break.
    Tool, if I didn't make it clear enough, this thread has literally nothing to do with Mods. I think you guys do a good job, and I agree that you should err on the side of non-involvement.

This thread is about how conservative posters jump all over liberals for little crap... but either let slide, or actively defend conservatives who behave much worse. Consider your advise to Mad to be more friendly (and I do agree with the advise)... but can you not think of a conservative poster who behaves very much like Mad? Why doesn't that poster get the same advise?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Special-K View Post
    This brings out a good point. When you know someone personally, you tend to factor their personality into their posts. I have personally met a few guys from here and they are all men of high character.
    I agree, but wrong is wrong. I could see altering the "punishment" so to speak, like just giving a warning. If we look at Glen's post, from the very beginning I said I knew he was joking (not because of the "lol" but because I have gotten to know him via ARP and met him in real life and agree about him being a man of high character). However, if you look simply at the words in his post... he should be called out for it. Maybe just a.. "hey, you might want to watch your wording." Imagine the response I would have gotten if I had posted the same directed at a conservative poster?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davidadavis View Post
    I agree, but wrong is wrong. I could see altering the "punishment" so to speak, like just giving a warning. If we look at Glen's post, from the very beginning I said I knew he was joking (not because of the "lol" but because I have gotten to know him via ARP and met him in real life and agree about him being a man of high character). However, if you look simply at the words in his post... he should be called out for it. Maybe just a.. "hey, you might want to watch your wording." Imagine the response I would have gotten if I had posted the same directed at a conservative poster?
    In your post above this one..you stated it is not directed at the mods.. but yet you direct your post to a mod.
    I have read your complaints...and sifting through it you are merely taking the long way of saying "I wanna see some conservatives in trouble"
    All of us here have lead way and freedom in one great forum here...and now you are groveling to change it.
    The men involved are already over it..have given each other internet hand shakes and are over it...while you have been drowning in your emotions all day they already had a virtual six pack and are happy..Go check it out for yourself.Be happy for the happiness of others my friend... A new set of emotions has been waiting for you all your life....what are you waiting for?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast