Page 1 of 23 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Civility

Post Likes

Civility

Yesterday I was thinking about starting a healthcare thread since the ‘are we better off’ thread got completely derailed by healthcare. But after thinking about two exchanges I changed my mind and would like to ask... what is the point of ARP? is it to have discussions? or just ‘beat the drum’ of your dogma?

At the center of both exchanges was Mad, being his normal smug self. But while I agree he often ‘behaves poorly.’ It was conservatives responses to him that clearly crossed the line. Snapper asked to take the argument into real life (and a mod did tell them both to cool it). And Glen suggested shooting Mad. Now I know Glen and know it wasn’t serious... but the wording was written in a serious way.

Mad was called out by multiple people while no one called out Glen, and Snapper was only called out by the Mod who directed his comments to both simultaneously. Do conservatives believe in self-policing? Or do y’all see ARP as a prison gang where as long as y’all are on the same side anything goes?

My politics are probably pretty close to Mad’s, but I have no problem telling him he is acting like a jerk when he does so. I personally always included Dip in the ‘Worst Member’ threads. Can’t y’all see that there are conservatives who also often act like jerks? Do you care if conservatives on the whole are seen as the good people the overwhelming majority of y’all are?

Post Likes
    After the same point has been made several times by both 'sides', I typically lose interest. I'm mean really, what's the point of reading the same thing over and over and over? I rarely unsubscribe from a thread, but I stop paying much attention, just quickly skimming over the text.

I also will typically avoid the arguments. Again, what's the point? Unless I see an obvious flaw in the reasoning, regardless of which 'side' it comes from.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davidadavis View Post
    . Can’t y’all see that there are conservatives who also often act like jerks?
    Absolutely, and I believe I mentioned so in our recent stink over the meme thread. I was very disappointed in some of my fellow conservative's behavior. I even stated that some seemed to be here ONLY to fight, and pretty well put those members on notice.

BTW...the mod you referenced above is somewhat of a political moderate, and he posted that warning as he was rushing out the door for work, so he might not have seen other comments in the thread. He said so in his post in the ARPC forum to let us know he posted a warning.

Post Likes
    K, you and Newold are absolutely the last people my thread is about. I agree his post directed at both is what a mod should do. My thread is about the plurality of conservatives that allow such crap to go un-checked and thereby make HVAC professionals and conservatives look bad to people who read ARP.

5. Likes Special-K liked this post
    Post Likes
    David for what's its worth my comment on mad was a complete joke to his post mocking Wayne's post.

Mad saying he would never give up classified and top secret information even if tortured or water boarded.

So I joined in mocking mad with a joke about how commies take out folks who refuse to sing.

David have you lost your mind or what.

I have always liked you since we met once even though you are a liberal because you were always respectful of others but now you are attacking me for joining in some lite hearted fun with Mad, Wayne, BNME & GA.

You need to see a shrink and take a leave from ARP before I lose it. Can't say how much I'm shocked about your attack thread on me here.

I will sign off now before I say anything else. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    Glen, I specifically stated that I knew you were joking. But the only way I know this is because I know you. Do you ever stop to think about how what you write sounds to people reading it who are not ARP regulars? If my thread offends you I suggest it is you who needs a break.

Post Likes
    Well David if anyone would read the previous joking posts it would become abundantly clear that my post was a joke sent in lite hearted jest at mad even if they didn't know me.

If I had to do it over again for sure I would quote Mad's post about being tortured especially since my post ended up at the top of the next page and a newbie to the thread would have to go to the previous page to get the jest.

Now I clearly said LOL. The universal statement saying I was joking in response to others.

Geez give me a break. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    It is the world we live in now; keyboard warriors post things they would never say to someone in person.

10. Likes Lahrs liked this post
    Post Likes
    Glen, I thought I made it clear I was using your post as an example. It is not personally about you. Rather a general observation.

Post Likes
    For what it is worth, the Progressive Left movement started with Truman. And has been making progress most every term since. Think of it like the cutting edge of a saw blade, in the upward direction.

In all fairness, the keyboard warriors are, for the most part ignorant. They are being fed crap that is based on nothing. Then they repeat that crap. Making every attempt to sound intelligent.

We really will go down hill from here. Why, you may ask? Because the education system is brainwashing our children. There is nothing any of us can do to fix that until the teachers are taught to teach properly.

Might as well just throw in the towel. And let the morons try to figure out what went wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Fender60 View Post
    It is the world we live in now; keyboard warriors post things they would never say to someone in person.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Post Likes
    I will usually try and comment to try and get the other side to understand my point of view. I can't see where making negative comments about them helps them see my side. I will admit to an occasional back handed compliment and there are several posters that I will rarely comment on or often even read what they posted. There have been many times that I have walked away from a thread for a while to avoid posting something. One night Dip made a comment and I wanted to post a smack attack on it, but it would have involved his kids which is a no-no in my book so it remains a private joke in my head that still makes me laugh just thinking about it.

As far as calling someone down from my side of the page, I don't call anyone down from the other side of the page so can't see doing it on my side and I also have never seen need to report a post. Part of this comes from not knowing all pertinent info as in you don't know what kind of exchange is following from a different thread. So that's my , for what it's worth, probably not even 2 cents.

Post Likes
    BNM, I agree not calling out either side is a fair way to handle it. But don’t you see posters who jump on the other side but allow crap from their own side slide?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    For what it is worth, the Progressive Left movement started with Truman. And has been making progress most every term since. Think of it like the cutting edge of a saw blade, in the upward direction.

In all fairness, the keyboard warriors are, for the most part ignorant. They are being fed crap that is based on nothing. Then they repeat that crap. Making every attempt to sound intelligent.

We really will go down hill from here. Why, you may ask? Because the education system is brainwashing our children. There is nothing any of us can do to fix that until the teachers are taught to teach properly.

Might as well just throw in the towel. And let the morons try to figure out what went wrong
    Congratulations, BBeerme...you can now add 'quitter' to your resume.

Page 1 of 23 1234567811 ... LastLast