+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Condenser fans , Sleeve or Ball bearing

Post Likes
    The deciding factor for a manufacturer is probably cost. Sleeve bearings seem to be OK for fractional motors. I just haven't had problems with them except with speed controls. Actually I never had the problem as it was solved many years ago when the failure mode was found.
    I know ball's load better if loading is a problem. Serious side thrust loading would require a roller or even a tapered roller. As these aren't offered I would conclude they aren't necessary. If price wasn't considered I'd use a ball motor because they are a better choice for longevity. My understanding is a sleeve bearing has an expected life of 10 years. The factory lube has a 5 years and should be oiled. Normal conditions.
    I haven;t seen any life expectancy for ball.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GorillaTight View Post
    Give the shaft a tug ...no, seriously...a sleeve bearing motor generally has some endplay and a ball bearing motor will not. I actually picked that up from someone here, might have been hvacker.
    Wasn't me but that's is a good way to tell. Some ball are fixed on the shaft and won't move. My circle saw is that way.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in