Post Likes

How much is too much?

I just finished my 17 hr day of fixing chillers and installing control upgrades. My company says 16 hrs maximum on duty and 8 hrs off duty before starting it all over. What do y’all do for long days in this business? Several coworkers have done over 24 hrs before, but when is too much? Thank Goodness for having a back up tech to handle the answering service for the rest of the night. I am out of commission for at least 8 hrs.

Post Likes
    As long as you are being safe, go for it. Some techs dont know when they are not safe. Maybe that’s an experience thing.

on big jobs that are under the gun, 18-20 hour days is not unheard of. But I tend to take lots of breaks when I pass 12-15 hours so I should probably go home at that point.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by elroho grande View Post
    I just finished my 17 hr day of fixing chillers and installing control upgrades. My company says 16 hrs maximum on duty and 8 hrs off duty before starting it all over. What do y’all do for long days in this business? Several coworkers have done over 24 hrs before, but when is too much? Thank Goodness for having a back up tech to handle the answering service for the rest of the night. I am out of commission for at least 8 hrs.
    Hello: While I like others, have worked these long hours you mention, it was not scheduled in my cases, is it in yours?. So, more questions for you: WHY is Your Company trying to Kill You? Are they paying overtime after 8? Are they Not wanting to hire the other tech they need for whatever reason? There is absolutely no good that can come of this, so try and reason with the boss, or get to steppin, imo.

PS: As far as what you can do to recover, are we talking legal or illegal? "Just Kidding folks" ! Lol "All the Best to You".

Post Likes
    Just pulled a 17 hr day then a 10 with 5 hours sleep. Thats most id do consecutively. Im all about making money but I like living as well. Your company sounds decent compared to some ive worked for. Where its manditory you stay working, no restroom break or getting off the roof till the job is done. Had to leave them behind cause thats crazy.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Oh, btw I am not complaining. Just wanted to know what other techs do or did. This was not scheduled work, mostly emergency services. I couldn’t ask for a better employer. They really look out for us. Anyone can stop a job if unsafe.

Post Likes
    there are regulations that dictate safe working hours. any company that follows OSHA regulations absolutely will not allow more than a 16 hour work day.....in fact, you could be fired for working longer.

there used to be a specified length of break time between 8 hour shifts within a 24 hour period, but I believe the wording was changed to allow for a "reasonable" break period.

I haven't had to do that stuff for some years, but I used to have to move my time around to make it look like I wasn't working more than 16 hours in one day. I've also had a customer make me stop work, and get another person when they realized I'd been on their site more than 16 hours.

the main concern is safety.....you have to be able to realize when you've hit the point that you become tired enough to be impaired. that's when you need to remind yourself to be careful and think twice about some of the tasks you're performing. Also, coworkers need to have the type of relationship that allows them to stop each other if they realize the other guy is doing something that may get him or others hurt. but really, when it comes down to it, no job is ever worth getting hurt because of a time crunch.....hero status never lasts as long you hope it would!

Post Likes
    Worked three days straight without sleep, Back in the market days. Wasn’t worth a for about a week after. Good thing I was young I would of probably killed over today trying that.
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Last place I was a 'normal' work week was 60-70 hours. Twelve to 14 hour days were normal. Then there was the occasional 16-18 hour day. Life's eating and sleeping schedule was all messed up. I could tell things were changing inside me, and not for the better. So I gave notice.

Took about a month of regular meals and sleep to get a sense of sanity, then a couple more months to get healed most of the way, then maybe another three months to get completely back to normal.

Now I do much closer to a 40 hour work week. And if I can go home a bit before my 8 is up, I'm more than happy.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    there are regulations that dictate safe working hours. any company that follows OSHA regulations absolutely will not allow more than a 16 hour work day.....in fact, you could be fired for working longer.

there used to be a specified length of break time between 8 hour shifts within a 24 hour period, but I believe the wording was changed to allow for a "reasonable" break period.

I haven't had to do that stuff for some years, but I used to have to move my time around to make it look like I wasn't working more than 16 hours in one day. I've also had a customer make me stop work, and get another person when they realized I'd been on their site more than 16 hours.

the main concern is safety.....you have to be able to realize when you've hit the point that you become tired enough to be impaired. that's when you need to remind yourself to be careful and think twice about some of the tasks you're performing. Also, coworkers need to have the type of relationship that allows them to stop each other if they realize the other guy is doing something that may get him or others hurt. but really, when it comes down to it, no job is ever worth getting hurt because of a time crunch.....hero status never lasts as long you hope it would!
    What he said…

Post Likes
    The law says (not exact words) you are allowed 6 minutes (of unpaid time) per hour worked for personal time. It is allowable to wait several hours before taking a break. It is expected that a break for a meal will be allowed sometime during the midshift time. There are multiple variations across employers and many other variations with the different unions.

The 16 hour rule is a little more nebulus (not exact words). While the employer is responsable for the employees safety, however if an employee is injured due to fatigue on the job or in the travel home the employer can be held finacially responcablle for those injuries and consequences

Post Likes
    Money can be a wonderful thing, but what good is it if you can't enjoy it because you wore yourself out. Very seldom do I work over 10 and usually several of those hours are desk related, then there is the Saturday desk work for how ever long that takes to get caught up. Am I optimizing my time for every dime, no, but I also don't go home and crash either.

Post Likes
    I have worked overnighta few times in a crunch. Was never about the money really, sometimes you just have to get it done. But I end up paying for it by crashing for a full day after. Worst part is that at a point you start making stupid mistakes and moving way too slow. I try not to work more than 14 hr days unless absolutly nessasary. Stay safe guys
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

13. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post