Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnasty View Post
    I have had drains clog on me after I did maintenance on them. A spider or other critter. makes a home in one. I’ve seen a smoker cigarette pile outside of a garage that smouldered and melted the plastic tubing. This took me a long time in a hot attic to realize I was in the wrong place.

Just because you clean a drain in April doesn’t mean something else won’t get in there in July.

This is my exact reasoning for having the Secondary line installed (I believe you are saying a Secondary line is a good idea) - so my elderly aunt will know something is wrong (or more likely me when I check on her). This way the Condenser won't shut down on a 110 degree day and my aunt is without AC for hours / or even days - and paying emergency rates to have just a Primary line fixed.

What do you think about the installer saying:

if I signed up for their yearly maintenance - the Primary line would never clog. The Secondary line would never be needed. The way they do the Secondary drain line is to put on a float switch (I believe an SSI or SSII ?). No drain for the line.

I would like redundancy - being the Secondary drain line installed - with some type of inline cut off switch on the Secondary line. No cut of switch on the Primary line.

The installer again said this is not how they do it and I do not want the system to run that way. That I don't want a cut off switch on the Secondary drain line.

Thank you

Post Likes
    Unless it’s against code in your area, there’s no good reason not to do as you requested. Hell, they suggested creating a slip and fall for your aunt by draining it onto the garage floor! If they are adamant that it not be done that way for any other reason than code, that would set off some alarms for me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    Unless it’s against code in your area, there’s no good reason not to do as you requested. Hell, they suggested creating a slip and fall for your aunt by draining it onto the garage floor! If they are adamant that it not be done that way for any other reason than code, that would set off some alarms for me.
    Thank you Makeitcold - "Unless it’s against code in your area, there’s no good reason not to do as you requested". When I was talking with the installer I thought I was in some kind of bizarro world. The installer was acting like I was asking for some never before heard of set up - with the Secondary installed and having an inline cut of switch.

The installer also mentioned not having the system set up this way because (and I don't understand the reasoning here):

. . . don't install a Secondary drain because if the Primary ever overflows Or the coil ever freezes (and cracks ? - I may have not understood what he was saying here. But by this time I was starting to get skeptical) and then thaws and ends up in the secondary, the water will continue to drain for however long until someone notices - this was part of his reasoning for not having a shut off switch on the Secondary.

I just wanted to say - it is really great to come onto this site and receive multiple opinions / perspectives on HVAC issues - thanks again.

Post Likes
    That’s just dumb

Post Likes
    Tell him to do it how you want and give you the bill. There's no reason running the secondary can't be done. I'm amazed they're arguing with you about this.

Post Likes
    Could be that their installers are paid by the job, so if duct tape won’t take care of it, it doesn’t get done. I’d keep looking, as this isn’t giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling. A second drain is for redundancy, the drain switch is a last resort to prevent further damage, that’s how I’d set it up if I were in your shoes.

Post Likes
    Could be that their installers are paid by the job, so if duct tape won’t take care of it, it doesn’t get done. I’d keep looking, as this isn’t giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling. A second drain is for redundancy, the drain switch is a last resort to prevent further damage, that’s how I’d set it up if I were in your shoes.
    "A second drain is for redundancy, the drain switch is a last resort to prevent further damage". This is also my thinking - my thinking has been formed and created here on HVAC.

It seemed to me, at the time of the meeting on Friday, the main idea the installer was trying to get across was I don't need the Secondary drain as - when I purchase their yearly (he even mentioned Quarterly) service maintenance plan, the Secondary was not needed. It really felt like a high pressure sales pitch.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Tell him to do it how you want and give you the bill. There's no reason running the secondary can't be done. I'm amazed they're arguing with you about this.
    Yes, I felt Really frustrated that this issue is such a big deal with this installer - most issues were going fine until this meeting. He eventually (15 minutes later) said if that is the way I want it, then he will do it ("it's just PVC man")- but said in a manner that suggested I was crazy.

I replied that I am not a professional, he is, please explain to me why this can't, or won't, be done. See post #16 for his answer. Which I did not have a reply to as I further did not understand what he meant or his reasoning. We settle that a Secondary line will be done - but it Can Not have a shut off switch / float / etc. (Of course, at the time my thinking was, that I would bring this issue up here, so I let it go).

We discussed the Secondary for approx. 15 minutes - it felt like 30. The installers only suggestion was to run the Secondary to empty onto the garage floor (below the deck the system sits on - the system is in a closet in the garage). My aunt has all kinds off boxes on the garage floor - holiday stuff, 50 years of marriage and memory stuff, etc etc in plain view and in the direct path of any water from his suggested placement. Just trying to say - lots of boxes in clear sight and only 3 feet away.

The Primary exits to the side of the house (after going around a water heater closet). So I suggested to empty the Secondary to the same outside wall (trying to keep costs down). I then told him what I wanted - Secondary with an inline cut off switch.

He was adamant this is not how they set up their Secondary and I did not want my system to run that way.

Post Likes
    But he would be ok letting it drain on the garage floor where any one could slip and hurt themselves? Run, don’t walk, away.....you don’t even want to know about the stuff he does that he doesn’t tell the homeowner about.

Post Likes
    But he would be ok letting it drain on the garage floor where any one could slip and hurt themselves? Run, don’t walk, away.....you don’t even want to know about the stuff he does that he doesn’t tell the homeowner about.
    Well, even though I do not want to have another installer come out to my Aunt's, get another estimate, etc - based on this last meeting I think I can't use this installer.

- Arguing over adding a Secondary drain line - his suggestion of the placement of that line - adamantly saying that a cut off switch can not be added to the Secondary drain line, ETC.

- Only during the 2nd meeting did he mention the Primary drain line would not pass the Permit. Seems a huge omission when this raises the estimate by hundreds (although to be fair, neither have the other 2 installers mentioned this issue).

- Saying there is No code requirement for a Line Set underground (again trying to be fair, he did check if the Line Set was sleeved - AFTER I requested he come back out to the house for the 2nd meeting. The other installers did not check).

- Very strongly trying to persuade me to Not have this installation done with a Permit. When I said from the very first day - my Aunt wants a Permitted job.

Back to the drawing board as they say. Is there an installer in the 91367 area code ? I tried the contractor map on this site - it doesn't show any installers in this area ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12