Post Likes

Advice From Veteran HVAC Contractors (LCV)

What would you say is the average lifetime value of an HVAC customer?

Obviously, looking for quality input from experienced contractors that have been running their business for a good while.

How much should I be willing to pay for leads? I'm talking exclusive leads and not ones that are shared like using Home Advisor or similar lead source.

Really interested in anyone that has solid advice on this?

I'm in Ohio so we do both Furnace and AC throughout the year.

Post Likes
    So I do mostly commercial refrigeration but get a fair share of A/C to go with that. The refrigeration customers are priceless because it's a continuous process of repairing stuff. A/C is not quite the same unless you're gasing and going the same place.
    New A/C systems could have you not seeing that same customer for sometime. Started in 1980 and still have many of those same customers.

Post Likes
    Not sure about years, but ever resi customer averages about 40K over a lifetime with their work, referrals etc, some a lot more some a lot less

Post Likes
    Customers are lost often thru no fault of the contractor. People move, die, forgot your name
    and many other reasons. From my understanding a residential contractor will loose 20% of their customers per year. The another 20% of the remainder the next.
    I seems commercial accounts stay longer but if they leave they take more $$ with them.

Most new customers need to be hijacked from other contractors. It can be a blood sport.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Kinda an oddball Q. I have a customer that I started w/ in 1981-82. I average between 50-80K a year. I have another steady customer that I average between 4-6k a year for 15 years. I value both of them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Kinda an oddball Q. I have a customer that I started w/ in 1981-82. I average between 50-80K a year. I have another steady customer that I average between 4-6k a year for 15 years. I value both of them.
    Yes, sometimes money isn't the reason I might value a customer. Usually it's when they seem to value me. Their loyalty rubs off.
    I've never paid for a lead but I have given gift cards to a nice restaurant when someone has gone extra for my company.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Not to change the subject but do you put dye in a low temp refrigeration system? I have seen bad results because of it I believe but can’t find anything explaining why it damages it. Does it separate the oil and refrigerant or as I suspect mixes with the oil and coats the evaporator. What are your thoughts?

Post Likes
    I have never used dye in a refrigeration system.