Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes

OXY/Acet torch or turbo torch?

I use a oxy/acet torch to braze with. I have recently seen a tech that I know using a acetylene torch to braze with. I was wondering what everyones opinion of using a acetylene torch with a turbo tip to braze 7/8 line sets. pros and cons?

Post Likes
    90% of the time I use a Air/Acetylene.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Still Turbo.
    Ox / Acc is just getting too heavy

Post Likes
    Oxy and ace all day every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes BALloyd, lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    Turbo is loud Af

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

7. Likes BALloyd, adam_s05 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Just depends on what you are doing.

If you're brazing with silphos, I'd be using oxy/acetylene. If you're soldering, I'd be using the hand held MAPP gas.

[guess it's only MAP gas these days]
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

Post Likes
    I hate the noise that turbo torches make. Way to loud.

That, along with the fact that oxy/acetylene is more versatile and works better and isn't really that much heavier makes me wonder why acetylene only rigs are even such a thing.

Post Likes
    Only time I use acetylene and air is for soldering and lots of it. Otherwise map gas for something quick. Definitely oxy and acetylene for brazing though. So much easier to control. Not to mention a lot quieter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Depends on how lazy I'm being that day or where I have to drag it to. If it's one of the warehouse buildings we do and the unit is on the opposite side from the roof hatch then I use the B tank. If its really close or on the ground then the oxy acetylene somes out.

Though really I have both because they are back ups. If one goes empty I can use the other.

Post Likes
    Yeah, they need to start making some 1/2 size MC tanks. So I don't have to feel like i'm "dragging" it to the rooftop.

Post Likes
    Oxyacetylene. Much more precise, quicker, and versatile in compact spaces. Turbo torch is fine if all you’re doing is installs, but servicing needs different size and shape torches for the application IMO.

Post Likes
    It's job dependent. Anything large will need oxy/acc. On smaller stuff where either will work the Turbo will give a softer flame and requires less skill. It also gives an impression of filling the fitting better. Oxy/acc can do the same but like said, more skill.
    Less skilled will do things like overheat the fitting, glob the rod, blow holes in the fitting/pipe, burn anything within sight, melt cap tubes, set off smoke alarms.
    So if your working on smaller stuff <1 1/8" and need to practice a bit before using oxy/acc then use the Turbo (with ear protection).
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    For brazing small line sets like that, I use the turbo torch with an A-14 tip. That works well enough for up to 1-1/8", but it is loud and I think the Turbo Torch uses more acetylene than oxy/acetylene does. As others have stated, it's a whole lot easier to carry the Turbo Torch up on a roof than it is to lug oxy/acetylene. The Turbo Torch is not as hot and so is also slower. If productivity is important, go oxy/acetylene. If you just do installs with small line sets and don't mind the joints taking a minute longer, the Turbo Torch is fine. If you do a lot of repair work, then oxy/acetylene is probably the better choice.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast