Thread: PTAC argument

Post Likes

PTAC argument

I am considering a PTAC unit instead of having current HVAC system fitted (re-done) for central air.

Now, I have a small home - 850 SQ FT. with a crawl meaning my furnace is a down draft. This means a little more difficulty in design and refurbish than normal.

And, since I am renovating it would be easy to frame in to an exterior wall.
    The other bonus would be that a PTAC is self-contained only needing power pulled to it.

The PTAC cost for a 1 Ton unit is actually cheaper by far than all the components and cost of retrofitting the original (newer and efficiant) HVAC.

These are the (Pro's) of this idea, what would be the (Con's)? Looking for good experienced advise or thoughts.

Post Likes
    Not enough air circulation and humidity issues are in the ptacs future...

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The problem is conventional PTAC equipment is very localized as far as what it can do.
    Although ducted PTAC units are made. Very popular in dorms around here.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Well, the bigger challenge with retro-fitting is the A-coil would have to mounted under the furnace (down-draft). The condensation drain would be at the floor level and become a problem to mitigate as the crawl is difficult.
    Suggestions?

5. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Not hard. Its done common in mobile homes.

Post Likes
    Your letting your cheap gene cloud your judgement. A PTAC is not gonna properly heat and cool your home; it's gonna have a short life expectancy; it would have to be done away with if you try to sell the house; and it's gonna be objectionably noisey.

Do you really wanna put up with a cheap motel unit?
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

8. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by delamite View Post
    Well, the bigger challenge with retro-fitting is the A-coil would have to mounted under the furnace (down-draft). The condensation drain would be at the floor level and become a problem to mitigate as the crawl is difficult.
    Suggestions?
    Not difficult at all. Put the coil as high as possible and use a condensate pump.
    Easy.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

10. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Even most hotels are doing away with the ptacs. What does that say? Id take a ducted mini split over a ptac... Just saying.

Post Likes
    OK, OK ..
    A-coil being biggest obstacle, I suppose it has to be mounted underneath furnace and not possible to mount traditional on-top?
    That would make retrofitting much easier if possible.

Post Likes
    If you have a furnace, that’s a good way to rot your heat exchanger quickly.

14. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I get it.
    Thx everyone will have this job done correctly. I just like to know thing and be prepared before hiring contractors.

Post Likes
    OK, OK ..
    A-coil being biggest obstacle, I suppose it has to be mounted underneath furnace and not possible to mount traditional on-top?
    That would make retrofitting much easier if possible.
    It is only traditional in an up-flow configuration. It is completely wrong to do so for a down-flow.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Get a ducted Mini and enjoy it!

18. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Is there a reason a heat pump couldn’t be used? This would free up a lot of space using a airhandler instead of a furnace and coil

Post Likes
    Only your electric bill would dispute that. If your pinching pennies on that utility bill gas is the way to go in the winter. Otherwise heat pump it is for the win!

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Why not install a 5000 BTU window unit in each room (although I would install them through a wall rather than use a window) and get all the benefits of zoning?

BTW: Haier makes "the world's quietest window AC".

If your house is fairly open you could use few larger units and get heat pump heating out of them as well as cooling.

PHM
    ----------

I am considering a PTAC unit instead of having current HVAC system fitted (re-done) for central air.

Now, I have a small home - 850 SQ FT. with a crawl meaning my furnace is a down draft. This means a little more difficulty in design and refurbish than normal.

And, since I am renovating it would be easy to frame in to an exterior wall.
    The other bonus would be that a PTAC is self-contained only needing power pulled to it.

The PTAC cost for a 1 Ton unit is actually cheaper by far than all the components and cost of retrofitting the original (newer and efficiant) HVAC.

These are the (Pro's) of this idea, what would be the (Con's)? Looking for good experienced advise or thoughts.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Why not install a 5000 BTU window unit in each room (although I would install them through a wall rather than use a window) and get all the benefits of zoning?

BTW: Haier makes "the world's quietest window AC".

If your house is fairly open you could use few larger units and get heat pump heating out of them as well as cooling.

PHM
    ----------
    I did remove an unwanted window, and made this window unit thru the wall with a winter plug seen in pic. Cheap fix for bedroom, and unit pulled humidity well as condensate ran continuous.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    After a few days of thought, a decision has been made.

1. Not going to tear down an efficient working system to modify.

2. Down draft systems suck for A/C. Reason is backwards mounting of coil, making it difficult for repairs/service and condensate control. You would not know that you had a problem until it was too late (rusted ducts, etc.).

3. My home is small enough that a Two zone mini-split, at 1 ton would cover the largest area's of home (bedroom, living room). I also like the idea of mounting compressor to exterior wall of home on shade side. Not to mention shorter lines.

4. I realize that I will not be getting the best RH control this way, however, during my remodel I am paying close attention to insulation strategies including solar film. My home is poorly insulated at the moment but even so my utilities are easily handled. And the mini-split will be 220 which is cheaper then running 110.

5. Final cost still cheaper.

24. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    After a few days of thought, a decision has been made.

1. Not going to tear down an efficient working system to modify.

2. Down draft systems suck for A/C. Reason is backwards mounting of coil, making it difficult for repairs/service and condensate control. You would not know that you had a problem until it was too late (rusted ducts, etc.).

3. My home is small enough that a Two zone mini-split, at 1 ton would cover the largest area's of home (bedroom, living room). I also like the idea of mounting compressor to exterior wall of home on shade side. Not to mention shorter lines.

4. I realize that I will not be getting the best RH control this way, however, during my remodel I am paying close attention to insulation strategies including solar film. My home is poorly insulated at the moment but even so my utilities are easily handled. And the mini-split will be 220 which is cheaper then running 110.

5. Final cost still cheaper.
    Now your thinking! You'll be fine RH wise.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in