Post Likes

Trane indoor unit panel or is it?

Upon some service maintenance (also turned out to be a clogged condensation line) found this panel in the indoor coil compart casing ( Jammed between the access pane to the A coil section and creating quite a BULGE in the case along with pressure on the TXV and the sensing bulb area). I kept it out- case closed up much better.

Comments on the panel? where does it belong? is it needed in the case for an upflow vertical- doesnt look like a baffel (i.e. horizontal setups)
    Total design flaw if it goes there.

Per my Trane documents I see no such panel in the schematics or specs.

MODEL: 4TXCB004CC3HCB
    INDOOR COIL position UPFLOW vertical on a furnace.
    LINK TO picture https://drive.google.com/file/d/10Uf...ew?usp=sharing

Post Likes
    Ive seen these in almost all Trane A-coils, horizontal and vertical. I always guessed it was to protect the coil from the screws that hold on the panel. Honestly Ive usually removed them as theyve caused me more problems installed and none when removed(knock on wood)

Post Likes
    That panel is to separate the evaporator coil tubing and txv from the insulation on the outer panel. So what happens is the coil and copper get really cold and will cause water to condense on the copper. That panel keeps the coils copper away from the insulation so that the insulation will not absorb any water and then want to leak as the insulation is on the outside of the drain pan and that panel that the 2 of you remove/removed makes the water run down into the drain pan. So I personally would not be removing it.

Post Likes
    I get that part but Ive had to go either patch a coil or replace a txv probably a dozen times when maintenance guys removed the panel to clean/inspect. Its just a poor, after-thought of a design, and they all rub against the coil. Some are just comically bowed out from the factory. They need to come up with a evap access panel like Bryant uses, boxed outward, 4 screws, none near the coil.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGBOY View Post
    That panel is to separate the evaporator coil tubing and txv from the insulation on the outer panel. So what happens is the coil and copper get really cold and will cause water to condense on the copper. That panel keeps the coils copper away from the insulation so that the insulation will not absorb any water and then want to leak as the insulation is on the outside of the drain pan and that panel that the 2 of you remove/removed makes the water run down into the drain pan. So I personally would not be removing it.
    1. Thanks for the response.
    2. This is an Aluminum Evap coil not copper.
    3. There is no insulation on the OUTER or first case cover (there is no insulation on this mystery piece either. In other words the piece of sheet metal that I took a picture was jammed (orginal installer) in between the TXV and the case cover that gets screwed in. It created a large bulge and also air infiltration creating negative pressure (not a good thing to have).

thats what the drain pan is there for collect and disperse condensation. I

Scientifcally dont see why you would NOT remove it. But DONT see why it was designed- or perhaps it should not go there and go somewhere else- but where?
    Never seen this shape before.

stressing the TXV and rubbing the sensing bulb insulation is not good- I have seen rubbing of copper tubing on copper and eventually you get a wear hole and a leak. Friction.

Is this a popular TRANE design?
    ** I usually work on IPC, Rheem, Ruud, Amana, Goodman, Lennox etc not over priced TRANE.