Post Likes

Stress and strains owning an HVAC business.

Hey guys - I am very much considering buying a marketing agency from someone that has a lot of HVAC clients right now.. but before I do I just wanted to talk to someone who works with this type stuff every day to try and understand it some more... because this isn't my area at all and I have no idea about it.

I am a home owner myself but I have owned a service based business in the past where we routinely went out and did some work in a different industry but I wasn't sure how much of that translates into HVAC.

Some general questions for owners or even techs in the industry:

- Where do you acquire most of your new business?
    - Do you ever find yourself in a situation where you have to turn people away because you can't handle any additional work?
    - What are there pros and cons to working with a Home Owners Warranty company like AHS?
    - What are you guys spending roughly on ads and what have you found that works the best (radio, tv, print, online)?
    - how many solicitations do you get from companies trying to sell you their new software, or consulting services, or marketing?

Any insight or guidance is GREATLY appreciated. I've tried calling around locally but I hate to be that guy who everything thinks is trying to sell them something over the phone, I legit am just curious before I make a mistake.

Alex

Post Likes
    Working with AHS..... or someone like it..... Won't say who, but when you get called 45 miles away to check a furnace, and you argue on a trip charge.... Oh OK they can finally do a trip charge.... then you find 5 cracks in a heat exchanger that you can see from across the street.... then they need a second opinion from 55 miles away from it, and they let that said Contractor put the furnace in.... Then you get a call to the same town and you pull up to the same house.... and you have to go in and correct the installation of Contractor number 2... You get a slight attitude with said company. Not to mention, having to wait till they get good and ready to send you the payment.
    Advertisement? Best thing we have is word of mouth. Second I suppose is Yellow pages... after that, it won't matter because your going to have some kind of gimmick that hurts the word of mouth rule?????? Just a few thoughts.

Post Likes
    I hear alot of radio ads. Most have a guy with a annoying voice and a catch phrase, slogan or a jingle. They must work because I hear them often.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Sorry, Don't get me wrong there is a time and place for marketing & advertising. Getting the right advertising in the right time slot (radio & TV) is crucial and in my experience is too expensive. Advertising (Professional Marketing) costs far more than the revenue it brings in. Word of mouth, web page, social media, truck signage and signs in peoples yards is what gets the most customers

Post Likes
    i stopped yellow pages a long time ago. Word seams to works the best. That will take a while. Be on time, do what you say you are going to do, if you mess up go back and fix it at no charge, never tell a lie. Only fix what is wrong. Look behind that dryer for lint, that flex might have a hole in it. Checking that filter will let you know if it has a hole in it also. Clean off the Fef. coil and give them a couple extra flters. After a while that phone will ring real often. Answer that phone on the second ring in person. No call back later when I have time. Good looking uniform and clean looking truck or van. My shoes come off if i have to go inside. Step back after you ring that door bell.
    Good Luck-You can make it
    Blue Fox