Post Likes

Anyone using an air filter at home?

I am considering whether to buy an air filter to improve the air quality at home. I have neighbors who burn green wood in the fireplace, and I have asthma so anything with particulates affects my symptoms.
    I would appreciate any recommendations. I would greatly prefer a filter that has a reusable or washable filter, but I am open to all suggestions.
    Thanks!

Post Likes
    Stay away from washable reusable filters for your own healths sake.
    I'm most familiar with a product called Respicare. It's an electronic filter that works with you central air system.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

3. Likes Jay g ac liked this post
    Post Likes
    Sorry but what you prefer and what you need for your health may be two separate things. Buying a HEPA filter that sits in the corner of a room may do very little for your condition. It may involve better sealling you house, not just filtering the air inside, A living space needs fresh air to remain healthy. I suggest you contact a local HVAC contractor have them take a look, see what they can offer and go from there.

Goodluck

Post Likes
    I have a Whispure510 it has a carbon prefilter that I vacuum and a HEPA. runs 24/7

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Depending on you environmental laws, you maybe able to report him. My neighbor was burning motor oil mixed with his fuel oil. County cited him, when he didn't stop, the state hauled him into court. Yes it did stink, and it smoked up the area. Final the SOB got foreclosed.
    Retired, after 43 Years

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hara View Post
    I am considering whether to buy an air filter to improve the air quality at home. I have neighbors who burn green wood in the fireplace, and I have asthma so anything with particulates affects my symptoms.
    I would appreciate any recommendations. I would greatly prefer a filter that has a reusable or washable filter, but I am open to all suggestions.
    Thanks!
    Yes a HEPPA filter would be better. Smoke is better removed by a Carbon filter is used.
    Also most important is a fresh air change if 4-5 hours and maintaining <50%RH to avoid mold and dust mites in your home.
    If in a green grass climate you will also need a small whole house dehumidifier to maintain <50%RH. There filter boxes that will handle carbon and a merv 14 air filter that gets mold spores and pollen.
    Check out the Ultra-Aire web site for more info.
    This not a simple deal.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Might want to get a HEPA stand alone unit that brings in outside air and pressurizes the house.... Put intake on the side away from the smoke. Also could add an electronic filter on the air handler. I like the April air 5000 as it has a deep pleated media and an electrostatic function. Help me during fire season here in the West. Both would be best to leave to a pro installer...

Post Likes
    http://www.airpurifiersandcleaners.c...ed/sp-20-1.jpg

This guy is a good one for a stand alone unit in the bedroom. Spendy, but I have one for really bad days (in addition to the aprilair) and have sold a bunch when I was in the biz.

Post Likes
    For basic 1"-3" air filters, manufacturers usually direct you to change them every 30-60 days. If you suffer from light to moderate allergies, you could upgrade the air filter or change them even more often. Or, if you're in a more remote area or less occupied home (like a vacation home) and there are fewer cars around, annually may be often enough.

Here are averages that might help you know how often you should change the air filter at home:

Vacation home or single occupant and no pets or allergies: every 6-12 months
    "Average" suburban home without pets: every 90 days
    Add a dog or cat: every 60 days
    Add more than one pet or anyone has allergies: 20-45 days. Also you may turn to some spesialists like highwaterstandard.com