Thread: Bad compressor?

Post Likes

Bad compressor?

So I came across a 3 ton packaged heat pump a week ago that had a leak at the factory weld at the cap tube on the suction line. The I repaired the leak, pressure tested, pulled a vacuum down to about 600 microns and charged by factory charge. The unit was working great for 1 night. Then the homeowner said it wasnt cooling anymore. After all work was done she informed me that the unit had been sitting for 4 years not working. I went back to check the unit, put my gauges on and fired it up. The scroll compressor was louder than usual and had a heck of a vibration to it. Also my high side was about 260 and low side was about 190. This is 410A. My amp draw was low at 9 amps. When I shut it down it balanced out fairly quickly. I'm thinking I have a bad compressor with probably a contaminated refrigerant system due to it sitting so long open to air. Any thoughts??

Post Likes
    It sounds bad, are my first thoughts.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    It's very hard to get moisture out of POE oil. I've seen it boiling out in a sight glass at 400 microns. Too bad the owner didn't tell you until after... an oil change may have saved it. Sounds like it's wiped out mechanically. Do an acid test, new filter driers and swap it out.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

4. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post
    Post Likes
    I'm just worried about any kind of oxidation on the inside of the system. 4 years is quite a long time especially being in florida with the humidity and all.

Post Likes
    It was completely empty when you first got there? If so oxidation and moisture inside would definitely be a concern regarding the compressor

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Yes. Completely empty. But I didn't find this out until after the repairs where done. If I'd had known that I would have just considered it DOA