Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

New Home Construction- Need Advice on the quality of Installation

Hello, new to the site as an AOP Owner Assistance member. I am looking for a sanity check on what I am finding in my new home construction HVAC system. My builder tells me I am too picky and the codes and standards are the guidelines, but the worker has to do whatever to get the stuff installed. My research on the building codes, industry standards of ACCA, ADC, and ATCO flex duct install instructions leads me to believe that it is a poor design and not a good installation.

Some background…HVAC unit is in the far corner of the unfinished basement and master bedroom is on main level on the opposite end of this 2br/2ba 1850SF main level. The main level has open floor plan with great room (vaulted ceiling) and kitchen/dining/entryway in one big area. The master and guest room will be 5-7 degrees warmer in summer and colder in winter than the open floor plan area. HVAC company said they can put booster fans in the 2 ducts to master and 1 in the only duct to guest bedroom to fix this.

Recently all insulation was removed from the basement ceiling to work on a hardwood and subfloor problem. This is when I saw all the ductwork and believe there is a bigger problem with the system design and ductwork. And yes, the basement system ductwork was installed after Certificate of Occupancy.

So here is my ask…am I looking at this too critical and this is the way it is done? Here is what I see in the pictures…all the ducts routed from the HVAC unit in and out of the trusses along with the numerous crushed ducts, excessive runs, constricted ducts, looped/U-routed ducts, and fire-blocking damage leads me to believe this is not right. At some point I want to finish the basement but have ducts that will be crushed even further by the drywall ceiling due to they are stacked and protrude below the trusses.

Hopefully I am posting picture correctly for viewing.

Appreciate any feedback…Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Likes
    I WAS FEELING FINE until about 4 minutes ago.

NOW I AM QUITE ILL Just like when viewing other NATURAL DISASTERS.

Is this Texas, after one of the recent tornados?
    ______

______ How does this duct installation compare to the Engineered Plans?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    No this isn't Texas. Never saw any plans related to HVAC. Kept asking for the manual J, H and D output from the software the HVAC company used, could only get a load preview report. I think they used a similar home plan for HVAC calculation for my home.

Post Likes
    That’s ugly looking on my phone I’m sure it’s not going to get better when I see it on a full screen

Post Likes
    Make sure you register your unit for the full manufacturer warranty, you should be getting at least a one year labor warranty.

This may asking for to much but ask the Installing Contractor/builder for the AHRI number to see what your SEER and EER are. If your local utility company or gas company has rebates depending on SEER rating of A/C and % efficiency of the furnace both or either may apply.

Geez couldn't they move that right cinder block under the furnace over to the right side edge of the furnace...

Your looking for something like this in regards to the AHRI number to prove matching equipment was installed.

https://www.ahridirectory.org/Home/D...Si0E52BXX8qjFh

Ask for a commissioning report of your system before closing, things like the static pressure, final refrigerant adjustment charge number, temperature rise across HX, just to name a few things are all within manufacturer specifications.

Post Likes
    All I have is

Post Likes
    The scary part is the builder saying that's acceptable workmanship. Makes me wonder about the rest of the house construction quality.

Post Likes
    That is unacceptable to me. Ask your building dept. who passed the inspection.
    Doug

Post Likes
    It is so sad that this workmanship (the term used loosely) even passes inspection! The general contractor, if he's worth his salt, should never have allowed this kind of work.
    I've seen ugly, but this takes the cake!

Post Likes
    I would suggest first that you don't cover the ceiling with anything that isn't easily removable (suspended ceiling tile) until you are 100% sure everything is good to go.

Secondly I would suggest that you make some calls to other contractors looking for someone that has the capabilities to do the math, investigation and measurements to verify the performance of your complete system/home. They should be measuring Total External Static Pressure across the furnace, static pressures across the system as a whole, heating and cooling loads for the home and then do air flow verification for the entire system.

Yes, this is going to cost you a good amount of money probably (can't discuss pricing here) but in the long run I'm thinking it will be money well spent in energy use and reliability/longevity of your equipment, not to mention hopefully making the home comfortable in all areas and rooms.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    The infamous Ductopus has reappeared!!!!

That is horrendous.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Mucking Fess...
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    didn't think it was possible but....Yes Full Screen it is worse!

16" crushed to 12"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast