Post Likes

Tempstar power vampire while on standby?

I have a Tempstar PGD324040K001C1 combined A/C and gas furnace, manufactured in 2014. Unfortunately it's on the roof of my condo building, which is hard to get to though not impossible.

I turned off all the circuit breakers in the house, and consistently get 0W of usage for the whole house from the electric meter.

I turned off all the circuit breakers except for the one for the A/C, and noticed that even when the A/C is turned off, it draws 170W. When I turn it on fan mode where I can feel air coming from the vents, it draws 172W.

Is there something obvious to fix here such as a switch that might be set to on that should be set to auto? (As I saw on one of the datasheets.) Or does this suggest a bad part? Electricity is expensive where I live especially for Tier 2 which I'm in, and I think this has been costing me over $300 / year. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Possibly a Crank Case Heater.

3. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    Curious as to where you live that electricity is 50 cents a KWH. I did the math and it works out to a little over 600 kwh/year.

That wattage points towards a crankcase heater.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies!

I live in the West LA area. Tier 2 power is 24 cents per kWh (generation & delivery) before taxes.

(0.17 kW) x 24 hours/day x 365 days/year = 1489.2 kWh/year
    1489.2 kWh x $0.24/kWh = $357.40

From internet searching it seems like these crankcase heaters are typically 70 Watts or less, though I can't find a spec sheet on mine which I think might be a Tempstar NPCRKHTR008A00 according to the datasheet I found somewhere. Also, are they typically installed in Socal? Also I would expect the fan mode to draw some extra power and it doesn't seem to.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevolution View Post
    I have a Tempstar PGD324040K001C1 combined A/C and gas furnace, manufactured in 2014. Unfortunately it's on the roof of my condo building, which is hard to get to though not impossible.

I turned off all the circuit breakers in the house, and consistently get 0W of usage for the whole house from the electric meter.

I turned off all the circuit breakers except for the one for the A/C, and noticed that even when the A/C is turned off, it draws 170W. When I turn it on fan mode where I can feel air coming from the vents, it draws 172W.

Is there something obvious to fix here such as a switch that might be set to on that should be set to auto? (As I saw on one of the datasheets.) Or does this suggest a bad part? Electricity is expensive where I live especially for Tier 2 which I'm in, and I think this has been costing me over $300 / year. Thanks.
    My bad on the math the first time around.

I reread your original post again and am really confused that turning on the fan draws only 2 watts more? I wasn't aware that anyone had a main blower motor out there that only used 2 watts of power.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    I think the difference may just be measurement noise. I looked at my notes again, and I measured the "system off" (no air coming from the vents) at 171 W, 170 W, and 171 W. I only measured the "fan on" once, and it was at 172 W.

Post Likes
    Nobody makes a blower motor that uses 2 watts but all those circuit boards, transformers and thermostats don’t power themselves. My teir 2 in NorCal is $0.30/kWh, so your high bill isn’t because of off cycle power usage. I googled your model number and didn’t pull anything but did you measure wattage on 3 separate power lines off the circuit breakers? Is this a 3 pole breaker?

Post Likes
    I had more luck searching for a bit shorter model number, like PGD324040K001C gives a gemaire link that has documentation. Doing just PGD324040 gives some other documents. Or Tempstar PGD3. I think I won't be allowed to add attachments until I have more posts.

I haven't measured the wattage on the power lines off the circuit breakers. Other than believing the house is properly grounded, and the A/C and heat working properly, I don't know anything about the wiring of that particular breaker.

It seems like a lot of power for just standby circuit boards, transformers, and thermostats.

Post Likes
    so What are you actually measuring? Again, no one makes a blower motor that uses 1-2 watts. That little of power draw would easily fall into a multi meters range of plus or minus for accuracy. If your measuring 171 watts with nothing on and 172 with the blower running then I’d question the accuracy of your meter or your measuring the wrong thing. Not trying to be dismissive, but your measurements don’t make sense.