Post Likes

new Fieldpiece SRL8 troubleshooting, possibly battery failure or defective detector?

Got a like new Fieldpiece SRL8 from a pawn shop. I only need this for HFC leaks right now.

Listing claimed it was brand new and it did look brand new, zero scratches or scuffs or signs of wear on anything, rubber looked and felt brand new. Was missing the wall charger and RRE2 needle probe but has the wand probe, carrying case, and an extra sensor. They shop owner played it off as a low battery and because it didn't have a wall charger. Unfortunately, every time I hold the power button the "LOW-BATT" indicator is blinking. I left it charging in the car for over an hour and it was still doing the same thing on power on, showing the full display meter lit up for a second and then going to the LOW-BATT indicator blinking. Haven't even gotten the Fluke out to check the battery output yet cause it's still charging.

What should I be looking for if it's defective before I order a new battery and get a wall charger?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Robbins View Post
    Got a like new Fieldpiece SRL8 from a pawn shop. I only need this for HFC leaks right now.

Listing claimed it was brand new and it did look brand new, zero scratches or scuffs or signs of wear on anything, rubber looked and felt brand new. Was missing the wall charger and RRE2 needle probe but has the wand probe, carrying case, and an extra sensor. They shop owner played it off as a low battery and because it didn't have a wall charger. Unfortunately, every time I hold the power button the "LOW-BATT" indicator is blinking. I left it charging in the car for over an hour and it was still doing the same thing on power on, showing the full display meter lit up for a second and then going to the LOW-BATT indicator blinking. Haven't even gotten the Fluke out to check the battery output yet cause it's still charging.

What should I be looking for if it's defective before I order a new battery and get a wall charger?
    Call Fieldpiece support. Or, if it's not too late, return it to the shop you got it from.

Here's a (direct) link to the pdf manual. It includes battery and charging info (takes up to 4 hrs to charge).

Post Likes
    The battery for those are readily available and not expensive. I have one and just replaced the battery and sensor. It work well on r410. I use it on manual zero.
    Doug

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    The battery for those are readily available and not expensive. I have one and just replaced the battery and sensor. It work well on r410. I use it on manual zero.
    Mine works so-so on r-410a. In fact, I'm keeping my eye out for a new one. Considered the D-Tek Select, but I'm kind of waiting to see of the Inficon Stratus is what it's purported to be.

Where did you buy the battery?

Post Likes
    Battery is a common photo type battery. I think I ordered it from Amazon. I do change the sensor every two years.
    Doug

Post Likes
    I changed my sensor about 3 yrs ago. They're supposed to last 5 yrs, but I've never had one make it that long. I just ordered another. That said, my SLR8 was never as sensitive as I thought it should be. My TIFZX does better on R-22 and 410a.

Post Likes
    Okay guys, I feel stupid. I found out the sensor diode was never installed because this is a brand new unit and the sensor was still packaged. I installed it and voila, it came to life. Holding down the battery check shows just one bar short of full, so the battery appears functional. What are these 1/4" o-rings for? The manual does not speak to this. And What is the best HFC refrigerant test vial for the SRL8, is it the H10 one? Thanks.

Post Likes
    The o-rings are extra ones that come with the detector Go to Fieldpiece web site and download the manual on the SLR8.
    Doug

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vin lashon View Post
    Mine works so-so on r-410a. In fact, I'm keeping my eye out for a new one. Considered the D-Tek Select, but I'm kind of waiting to see of the Inficon Stratus is what it's purported to be.

The slr8 is one of the most sensitive detectors available for 410a(works great for me on manual zero mode) . The dtek select is horrible for anything

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vin lashon View Post

The slr8 is one of the most sensitive detectors available for 410a(works great for me on manual zero mode) . The dtek select is horrible for anything
    The dtec tekmate is great on 22 but completely useless on 410a.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kra2y View Post
    The dtec tekmate is great on 22 but completely useless on 410a.
    I decided to wait on the new sensor (awaiting arrival) and a Leak Reference bottle (well, actually 2...one known to work well for CFC and one for HFC). Since this thread, I've read a lot about the SLR8 and it seems that many are satisfied or better. Worth re-examining. I really don't care to spend money I don't have to spend. Thanks for the input.