Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes

Is There Anything Positive About Office Politics

I was always annoyed with office politics and believe the only thing good about it was you learned who you enemies were (if you call that good). For plain spoken people like me I was quickly at odds with the suck asses. Being plain spoken is most often seen as aggression instead of identification of and input to a solution to a problem. That is my opinion.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Likes vin lashon liked this post
    Post Likes
    Office politics....
    Is usually folks who are too lazy to do a good job...
    Trying to manipulate the boss to not see the obvious skills of those of us who ARE disciplined enough to work hard and get ahead!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Post Likes
    I used to struggle with the concept, but after learning more about the psychological aspects of it, it can be somewhat of a game to figure personalities out and how to keep yourself in good graces with as many people as possible.

You can be the most competent person in the world at your job but if nobody wants to work with you you're sunk.

The key is to maintain your integrity while playing the game. Otherwise you're just a jackass.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    I was always annoyed with office politics and believe the only thing good about it was you learned who you enemies were (if you call that good). For plain spoken people like me I was quickly at odds with the suck asses. Being plain spoken is most often seen as aggression instead of identification of and input to a solution to a problem. That is my opinion.
    YES! There can be! If you have good Christian people working together at the top ranks, it radiates throughout the ENTIRE company. I saw it first-hand at a place called Jack Henry and Associates in Allen Texas. MOST AWESOME and ethical place I have ever visited in my life. Strong leadership. I have been in HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS of commercial buildings as 'the ac guy', but the attitude and disposition of the employees there were just ... PHENOMENAL!

For 20 years, I have never seen an environment among worker so well co-originated and co-operative. Everyone there pulled as a team and even extended great effort to help out the "ac guy".

For whatever insane reason, corporate management in head office Missouri replaced the management and everything went to hell in a handbasket. They invited other AC contractors on the site which promptly stole my tools on the roof, working to underbid my PMs, even though PMs are only about 10% of expense and my labor rates were 20% reduced from market standards. ???????? Put me out of business after 20 years loyal service [only 10 as my own company] too, a company I used to love and respect to no end.

I watched that company deteriorate over a period of about 6-9 months. Employees were NOT HAPPY FACE. They were sour-faced. Head-down UN-helpful. Talkative ONLY on a 'need to converse' basis. And then the back-biting began.... The guys I had to do deal with were real prickish about their former employees that were gone. I already knew my time was up and they probably talk trash about me the same way now. The crap spilling out of their filthy mouths cannot be described as 'derogatory', can only be described as 'hateful'. WTF??? Two twenty - thirty somethings with 5 years on the job or less bashing 20 year employees. Corporate management in Missouri apparently approves or facilitates this employee behavior.

I LOVED Jack Henry and Associates for twenty years. Now I HATE Jack Henry and Associates. What is the difference??????

SIMPLE. VERY VERY SIMPLE> If you have great leadership, you get a great work environment. Put the pricks in charge, everyone gets more concerned about 'one-upmanship' and personal goals,... don't care about anyone or the company all.

I want you guys to know, I have seen the difference first-hand,... my best observation. Personal experience: most jobs involve 'office politics', just duck your head and do your job. Unless you have a shot at marring the bosses daughter, don't get involved at all. Collect your pay, you get what you agreed to and don't dispute it.

I am 54 now. Longest job I ever held in my life was 4 years. Not fired from those, I QUIT, top-tech and they all wore me out with 16-18 hour days. 6 days a week. I could not do it then, I can sure not do it now.

First business 8 years, second business, I think I am at 11 now, maybe 12 but it is pretty much in the tank.

Don't worry about office politics, just do your job and collect your pay. Observe and learn, you may have your own office politic some day to manage.

Just be ethical and Christian about it, you will succeed. I have seen it first-hand.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

Post Likes
    The worst case of office politics I saw was so bad you were caught up in it whether you wanted to be or not. It was an engineering company where respecting your fellow engineer was supposedly mandated. That mandate was BS and the back biting and credit grabbing was the worse I have ever seen.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    The worst case of office politics I saw was so bad you were caught up in it whether you wanted to be or not. It was an engineering company where respecting your fellow engineer was supposedly mandated. That mandate was BS and the back biting and credit grabbing was the worse I have ever seen.
    I once worked with a guy,.... we were doing shop work,... he ripped a hammer out of my hand. I was working, he was talking. Owner had shown up, lol, don't get involved.

Hire on for the wages you agreed and 'ride for the brand'. Hire on/quit in an ethical manner, being some-what seasonal, April is my new year. Planting time and job time.

Do your time and collect your wages, service techs NEVER get a promotion, if you are good they cannot afford to loose you as a lowly tech.

F them all, most are selfish, make your own destiny my friends, waste none of your precious energy on envy or anger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glb2U6y-GdU

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

Post Likes
    When I first went to work for a metal fabrication company I was promoted from grinder to painters helper after the first day because the painters were in desperate need of help. About the third week the vice president came to where I was working and got all pissed because he thought I was wasting time knocking slag and splatter off welds on some government platforms. The superintendent told him I was doing what they ask me to do and if it wasn't done the government inspector would not accept the platforms. The VP didn't believe him and had the night shift paint all four platforms and load them on the rail cars. The next morning he made it a point to tell the super and me how great a job the night shift had done and we needed to get the platforms done quicker. That afternoon the government inspector came and rejected everyone of the platforms and told the VP to unload them and redo the paint prep and painting. This all happened because the night foreman was bucking for the superintendents job. The platforms I did passed because the instructions given to me covered everything I needed to know.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    When I first went to work for a metal fabrication company I was promoted from grinder to painters helper after the first day because the painters were in desperate need of help. About the third week the vice president came to where I was working and got all pissed because he thought I was wasting time knocking slag and splatter off welds on some government platforms. The superintendent told him I was doing what they ask me to do and if it wasn't done the government inspector would not accept the platforms. The VP didn't believe him and had the night shift paint all four platforms and load them on the rail cars. The next morning he made it a point to tell the super and me how great a job the night shift had done and we needed to get the platforms done quicker. That afternoon the government inspector came and rejected everyone of the platforms and told the VP to unload them and redo the paint prep and painting. This all happened because the night foreman was bucking for the superintendents job. The platforms I did passed because the instructions given to me covered everything I needed to know.
    ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Great!!!!!!!

Perfect example of office politics 'gone bad' buddy! When that sort of thing is allowed to fester by bad management, production/productivity is "thrown out the window" in favor of 'pecking order'.

I wish CEOs would read your thread, it should be 'required reading'.

But most of us are just 'small guys', best we can do is observe/learn but DO NOT get involved.

Just don't get crosswise with the dispatcher, she can make your life miserable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=267QDsj4_AE

Post Likes
    That's why I retired. They hired this guy who had Political connections, he lied about his qualifications on the Pier interview, said he had a D.C. First Class License. Later on he got a D.C. Mechanics License, and tried to pawn it off, as better than First Class. He didn't follow the Chain of Command, that boss shut him down, so he just went around him and got away with it. After that guy retired, he was going to his replacement all the time, slamming and stabbing everyone in the back in our department. Was allowed to hire an assistant who he stabbed in the back so bad the guy quit without a notice. They started grooming him to take his supervisors place. Supervisior had enough and put in his retirement papers, I put in mine the next day. I had to get an attorney to force them into processing them. From what I hear the place is falling apart, no Maintenance is being done, they are back to putting out fires. They have no one with State License, I don't know how as a State Government organization they can get away with this.
    Retired, after 43 Years

Post Likes
    One pay back I got was in the Army. When I went to Germany we had a motor sergeant that was an E-7 bucking for E-8. He stood up in front of the formation one morning and told us I'm bucking for E-8 and will F*** any man in this outfit in the A** without a rubber to get it. He didn't like me from the start because one of the first things he ask me was what I thought of the armored personnel carrier part of the school I attended. I told him it wasn't worth a damn because there was a lot of personal opinions expressed that were just plain wrong. He was one of the instructors there and of course took offense.
    He overlooked me for promotion a couple of times and when I ask him why he said well wear clean starched pressed fatigues and spit shined boots to the motor pool and maybe I'll consider it. As luck would have it he was passed over for promotion to E-8 and an E-7 from E company got the promotion. He was transferred to E company and the other sergeant to head quarters where I was. He had the nerve to complain to me one day that he got passed over in favor of the alcoholic that got the promotion. I told him if he wore clean starched pressed fatigues and spit shined boots they might consider him for promotion. He went nuts and started yelling which didn't really bother me because I was the shop foreman and in my motor pool his rank didn't mean much.
    I was assigned to do a pre-CMI inspection on every vehicle in the Battalion to make sure we passed the up coming inspection. That worthless sergeant came and ask me one day how the jack shafts in his deuce and a halves should be installed. The picture in the manual was wrong but the written instructions were correct. I told him to install them the way the manual said. He went by the picture and when I inspected his trucks I dead lined every one of them. He got so mad he put in for a transfer and left the Battalion.
    There is more to the story but you get the point.
    Thomas Jefferson

12. Likes Fender60 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I am 54, I promise most of you guys should not worry about office politics. Be aware, but not concerned. Not that long ago I lived in a 2000 square foot shop with a kitchenette with 20 foot of counter-top space if that qualifies as an "ette". Two employees. I fell on hard times, totally due to office politics from primary customer.

We never had any "office politics" I had great examples to learn from. Yeah sure there were HE THIS and HIM THAT and I THE OTHER,... but about we were all open and candid about it and we made a fabulous team. My employees were not my subordinates, they were my buddies. One guy tends a tad selfish, but I would trust them both with my life today. I made great friends. Better that political allies that turn on you like a rat on cheese.

Back to normal wages now.

Now I am working for a prick that made me work so long today I got home nearly at midnight. I had asked leave at 6 or so, no deal. He did give me 2 helpers.... I had to pick them up at the local homeless shelter. The best one had a fetish for fear of being shot at, took direct commands great. Must be a very odd history. The other guy was smarter, more in focus, not insane. He did have a lazy eye, and at one point I advised him to 'keep an eye out' for something or another. I am not a 'people person'. I am fairly HORRIBLE at 'making impressions' on people, but if you get a chance to know me,... I am really a very nice guy. Very guarded, but very generous. Honest above all else.

Just do your job and don't get involved. 3 or the 4 guys I worked with today I loaned money to for lunch/+gas for one. I am sorry I did not offer the loan to the 4th, but he had so many tats I felt uncomfortable. Really nice guy though I learned later. By this time I was a little put-out with loaning my money and I had already given these nimrods all of my water reserves,... job-site with no water.

The BOSSMAN seems to have a few loose screws. I suppose I am become top pecking order in the "office politics" here. Since I have to feed his other employees lunch. No matter, I very nearly told him to go pound sand "take this job and shove it".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj2iGAifSNI

Most of us guys just work for wages as service techs, no problem. If you are a top employee you will denounce your own promotion. I was once considered for a sales position, but booted for a guy in the sheet metal department. WHY?? They could not afford to loose a good service tech, anyone can bend metal. You might get promoted to service manager some fine day, but every service manager in my immediate memory has started his own business and why go through the trial by fire???? I have never been a service manager. Tough job, I would not want it anyplace I ever worked.

Just do the job you agreed to and collect the wages you agreed to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVlSkN-ytxM

I love this thread and I love the topic. I have given out much more personal information than I would like to, but only for the sake of conversation. I have already had one condolence PM. But I am not in a really bad situation. SUCKS TO HIGH HEAVEN at the moment, but I have a few ducks lined up and some property assets to liquidate for 'operating capital'. ZERO debt, I am OK.

I am going to come back with a bang, just need a little time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAgnJDJN4VA

Weebles we wobble but we don't fall down. LOL

Make great friends, they are worth more than their weight in gold..

14. Likes Lahrs liked this post
    Post Likes
    Back on topic...

'Is there anything positive about office politics'

Yeah... one thing...
    Watch others...
    You will learn quickly who you can trust and who to NOT trust...
    Grin
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Back on topic...

'Is there anything positive about office politics'

Yeah... one thing...
    Watch others...
    You will learn quickly who you can trust and who to NOT trust...
    Grin
    Sort of rude follow-up to my post me thinks. Which was NOT off topic.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast