Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 66 to 75 of 75
  1. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    8,886
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    hvacker does IQ equate to intelligence? They are often compared but I'm not so sure.
    My understanding is intelligence is the ability to solve problems. It might not be related to what's called common sense or wisdom.
    Sometimes being able to answer questions is confused with intelligence. It's really just parroting. The ability to remember facts and might not be an indicator of intelligence. It doesn't indicate stupid either. The game show Jeopardy have people that can have answers to subjects they might not have real knowledge of and couldn't solve problems in that field of knowledge.

    Some testing can be confusing for the person being tested. An example might be asked to write down everything you can think of that an empty can might be used for. You have 3 minutes.
    Some people might write only the best uses but the question was "everything thought of" The people only wanting to write the best uses wont do as well. The question has to be taken literally. So yes, patching a tailpipe is one answer. A pencil container, another.
    I don't know what is considered a good number. I did know an overachiever that wrote down like 23. The test is how well relationships can be seen. Inventiveness.

    Common sense and wisdom seem to often be intuitive as if coming from somewhere else. People often say that about prayer. How the answer just came to them.
    Intelligent people can also be social illiterates. Not having a clue how to relate to others.

    Some types of genius aren't thought of as genius. One example is called "Environmental Genius" or close to that. It's a person exposed to one environment can adapt to another.
    A person grows up in a ghetto but has a gift. They might not be able to have a vision of themselves being outside of where they are familiar. Like you can take the kid out of the ghetto but can't take the ghetto out of the kid. Others thrive in a new world.

    But I'm no expert. I'm functioning from rehashed memory from awhile ago so this is just an opinion.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

    You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

    If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

    USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

  2. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Louisburg Kansas
    Posts
    3,155
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    I think on this subject there is only opinions and yours is as good as anyone else's. I dated a lady that was super smart in about everything but math. Part of her job was to translate French technical data to English. I was never able to teach her how to deal with negative numbers. She couldn't even grasp that when multiplying if the number of negative signs was an odd number the answer was negative and if even the answer was positive. She often failed to step up or down when negotiating stairs but unless you were a good loser you didn't play scrabble with her.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

  3. #68
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Deep Southeast
    Posts
    5,753
    Post Likes
    Idiot savants can be super "intelligent", even genius in a limited specific area, even though basically retarded in all else.

  4. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    8,886
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    I think on this subject there is only opinions and yours is as good as anyone else's. I dated a lady that was super smart in about everything but math. Part of her job was to translate French technical data to English. I was never able to teach her how to deal with negative numbers. She couldn't even grasp that when multiplying if the number of negative signs was an odd number the answer was negative and if even the answer was positive. She often failed to step up or down when negotiating stairs but unless you were a good loser you didn't play scrabble with her.

    No one is good at everything. There was a guy working with a tribe in a rain forest in
    S America. The Tribe would have nothing to do with negative numbers. The thought was ridiculous to them. Like how can someone count nothing?

    I do know there are specialists and generalists. A specialist has an area they function high. A generalist functions somewhat lower but overall a generalist will outperform a specialist. I'm just considering both having a close intelligence. Drop a generalist in a wilderness and they are more likely to survive than a specialist. Math is a good example. Math is not a necessary ability in most survival situations.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

    You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

    If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

    USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

  5. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Louisburg Kansas
    Posts
    3,155
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    What if you are counting bears hvacker? I think it counts then.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

  6. #71
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    22,649
    Post Likes
    When primitives are counting bears, it goes like this . . .

    One . . . two . . . many.


    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    What if you are counting bears hvacker? I think it counts then.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

    I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

  7. Likes Fender60 liked this post
  8. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Louisburg Kansas
    Posts
    3,155
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    True BBeerme.

    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

  9. Likes Fender60 liked this post
  10. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Near Atlanta, GA.
    Posts
    14,448
    Post Likes
    Some of the smartest people I've ever known had little formal education. My father was one of them.

    Some of the most formally educated people I know are idiots.

    And there are many exceptions to these as well.


    While education is a good thing and can help to develop what you have, it does not necessarily make a person intelligent. And a lack of education doesn't necessarily make one stupid.

  11. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Sumter, SC
    Posts
    514
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Special-K View Post
    Some of the smartest people I've ever known had little formal education. My father was one of them.

    Some of the most formally educated people I know are idiots.

    And there are many exceptions to these as well.


    While education is a good thing and can help to develop what you have, it does not necessarily make a person intelligent. And a lack of education doesn't necessarily make one stupid.
    I totally agree.

  12. #75
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Deep Southeast
    Posts
    5,753
    Post Likes
    Deleted. Wrong thread.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •