Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Confused Body Cooler Odor In Morgue

Hello,

I am trying to find a solution for the odor inside a body cooler. This started because two decoms (decomposing bodies) were brought into an organ recovery building that we do the controls for and when the cooler is opened the odor escapes to the corridor. The people in the morgue don't enjoy it, but have acclimated to this kind of thing. The administration workers, on the second floor, for this company, however, are not. The odor from the morgue is creeping up to the second floor and, needless to say, it's pretty bad.

To mitigate the creep, we are going to install an air curtain above the door, which should have been done during construction. The only thing I need to figure out now is how to clean the air inside the cooler.

I've settled on charcoal filtration but haven't figured out how to go about doing it. I've thought of putting it in cooler's air stream but if the filter becomes saturated it could turn the DX coil into a block of ice and for obvious reasons can't defrost that space. I got a quote from a specialized company for a stand alone fan powered box with charcoal and HEPA filtration but the price was insanely high! In the neighborhood of $10,000. So at this point I'm trying to figure out a less expensive solution. I've been thinking of just buying a fan powered box and adding a filter rack to it.

Has anyone had a similar situation, or have any ideas how to solve this problem? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Bill
    Automation Project Technician

Post Likes
    Ozone generator. They are less than $300 and I use them to deodorize rooms that have heavy smoke odors. Put it in, set levels and place timer on hold.

Odor stop 2500 is what I have.

Post Likes
    Increase your building pressure in the administration area.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post
    Increase your building pressure in the administration area.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    X-2
    The morgue should have been negative to begin with. Something smells bad.

Post Likes
    Post 2 oz generator should work, buy one from ebay for $50-$60 just remember oz is poisonous at high levels and if you can run it when room it not occupied for 2 hours then air out the space for awhile before anybody goes back in. But the room should be in a negative- post 3. Is there a exhaust fan?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    X-2
    The morgue should have been negative to begin with. Something smells bad.
    Now that I think of it a morgue is considered BSL Level 3 or 4. I believe 4. 100% Outside air.

Post Likes
    Even with a negative pressure this happens:

Diffusion is a passive process of transport. A single substance tends to move from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration until the concentration is equal across the space. You are familiar with diffusion of substances through the air. For example, think about someone opening a bottle of perfume in a room filled with people. The perfume is at its highest concentration in the bottle and is at its lowest at the edges of the room. The perfume vapor will diffuse, or spread away, from the bottle, and gradually, more and more people will smell the perfume as it spreads.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    Even with a negative pressure this happens:

Diffusion is a passive process of transport. A single substance tends to move from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration until the concentration is equal across the space. You are familiar with diffusion of substances through the air. For example, think about someone opening a bottle of perfume in a room filled with people. The perfume is at its highest concentration in the bottle and is at its lowest at the edges of the room. The perfume vapor will diffuse, or spread away, from the bottle, and gradually, more and more people will smell the perfume as it spreads.
    In a lab nothing is allowed to escape!

Post Likes
    Now that I think of it a morgue is considered BSL Level 3 or 4. I believe 4. 100% Outside air.
    The autopsy room is BSL-3 that room is 100% OA. The spaces outside are negative to the corridor outside the morgue but a body cooler doesn't have ventilation requirements.

@servicefitter
    "Post 2 oz generator should work, buy one from ebay for $50-$60 just remember oz is poisonous at high levels and if you can run it when room it not occupied for 2 hours then air out the space for awhile before anybody goes back in. But the room should be in a negative- post 3. Is there a exhaust fan?"

The cooler itself is the same as any refrigerator, and is not required to, nor is it practical, to exhaust and bring in OA. It would simply be too expensive to try cooling OA to a the discharge temperature required to keep the cooler at set point. And you cannot make it negative to the corridor outside the cooler because when the door is closed it is sealed.

@Juan Madera
    "Ozone generator. They are less than $300 and I use them to deodorize rooms that have heavy smoke odors. Put it in, set levels and place timer on hold.

Odor stop 2500 is what I have."

This seems like the best solution. Because the cooler is sealed with no ventilation ozone probably wouldn't be the best option. I did talk to OdorStop today and I think we are going to try out an OS2500UV2, which has ozone, UV, and charcoal filtering.

Thank you all for the answers and advice! I'll update if it works!

Post Likes
    The room the box is in is 100% OA!

Post Likes
    The room the box is in is 100% OA!
    Then the room isn't in a negitive.

Post Likes
    Check your exhaust ducting for build up of hazardous waste , you’ll be surprised. Bodies produce gasses , you need to get rid of this.

As for cleaning , a morgue should smell clean. You have exhaust issues.

You must be in a small town for a fridge to be used in a morgue.

Is this a cooler as in fridge ?
    Or a cooler as in CoolRoom ?
    Is the preparation area AirConditioned ?
    Where does the hazardous waste from the body go , to a floor waste ? This needs to be disposed of correctly as is classed as a hazardous waste due to pathogens.

More information is needed on the setup of the Morgue. Is it just Storage or is this the same place they are preparing bodies ?
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by servicefitter View Post
    Then the room isn't in a negitive.
    Yes it should be!
    The exhaust fans dictate pressure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast