Post Likes

Old Trane Controls

I am in the controls industry as a reseller of older controls and I need some insight on a potential market. I have talked to a couple of HVAC contractors that deal with Trane. They told me that one of their biggest problems was finding controls that Trane deems "outdated" and won't give to people.

For example; I talked to a contractor yesterday that couldn't find any Tracer ZN517's for a client that had tons of them in their building. They didn't want to replace the whole system, they just needed the ZN517 but Trane wouldn't supply them with any.

Can anyone confirm that this is an issue?

Post Likes
    So Trane says these parts are obsolete, and you're asking if anyone else has encountered this?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Good point..... In hindsight, kinda a dumbass question.

Post Likes
    Haha, very well. Those controllers have been out about 15 years I believe.

Post Likes
    Oh yeah, they've been around a while. I have a ton of old Trane controls, so my intent was to find out if this is a market I should look into. The best way to find that out is probably to try it and see what comes of it.

Post Likes
    Places like this that don't gradually update their components crack me up. Why go with a major BAS company if you don't keep current. All of them purposely push things towards obsolescence as a means of survival and growth. I'll personally enjoy listening to him wallow in his sorrows when his front end gets kicked off his building network because he has to run an obsolete version of Windows for his old automation software.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MPeterson21 View Post
    Places like this that don't gradually update their components crack me up. Why go with a major BAS company if you don't keep current. All of them purposely push things towards obsolescence as a means of survival and growth. I'll personally enjoy listening to him wallow in his sorrows when his front end gets kicked off his building network because he has to run an obsolete version of Windows for his old automation software.

This is again the facility owner perspective vs what I call the IT centrist perspective. IT understands upgrades and keeping ahead of obsolescence. Facility owners have a much longer term of thinking and see the thing working fine. They think they don't need to spend money in that direction because everything else they are dealing with lasts 20 years no problem. Until something happens and they find out they need to catch up. In all fairness they aren't wrong because there is no reason controllers can't last 20+ years if they are designed right from the start and have ongoing support behind them.
    Scott Jalbert, WebCTRL ninja, Naiagara AX and Smartstruxure newb, SiteScan Retired

The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    This is again the facility owner perspective vs what I call the IT centrist perspective. IT understands upgrades and keeping ahead of obsolescence. Facility owners have a much longer term of thinking and see the thing working fine. They think they don't need to spend money in that direction because everything else they are dealing with lasts 20 years no problem. Until something happens and they find out they need to catch up. In all fairness they aren't wrong because there is no reason controllers can't last 20+ years if they are designed right from the start and have ongoing support behind them.
    Except they need these companies to stay in business for their future needs. They need to continue to adapt or their profits decline and they go out of business. Facility owners tend to be dinosaurs when it comes to technology. With the bean counters driving most business decisions now they run on a shoe string budget and a short and untrained staff. This drastically lowers the lifespan of their automation equipment. I see it everyday. Janitors playing HVAC maintenance staff and it's only getting worse.

Post Likes
    ZN517's are still available, not from a contractor sales side, but from the parts side. Part number is CNT04225.

Post Likes
    The reality is some places just don't spend money. 20+ years for controls is ok and for me common..finding parts and people who can still work on them might be a problem. I always suggest ebay.