Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

BTCVT Bluetooth Device Not Discovering Devices

Quick rundown:
    BTCVT will connect to bluetooth on 2 computer (one at a time). When CCT is opened, Bluetooth blue light connectivity is shown after clicking connect, however it goes through the motions of discovering devices, and eventually stops and ends up with none found. This happen on multiple computer with the same BTCVT. Has anyone ran across this issue and have a fix or at least a cause or explanation? This makes 2 different BTCVT devices that this has happened on in the past year.

Thanks

Post Likes
    What controller and port on the controller are you connecting to. If you the controller has been converted to an N2 device I dont think you can plug into the fc bus port only the sa port. If you are using the fc port I would try to plug into the sa port, which is on the bottom side of the controller on some of the models.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mfia321 View Post
    What controller and port on the controller are you connecting to. If you the controller has been converted to an N2 device I dont think you can plug into the fc bus port only the sa port. If you are using the fc port I would try to plug into the sa port, which is on the bottom side of the controller on some of the models.
    Using the SA Port.

Post Likes
    What controller model are you trying to connect to? Does the btcvt tool with the issue work on any controller or just specific ones? Could be an issue with the controller. Also the btcvt doesnt have the full functionality on some of the new ip controllers.

Post Likes
    The BTCVT is actually a blue tooth connection to the FC bus... this means if you bus is crappy (noisy, shorted, poor comms, slow, etc.) You will not be able to talk to nuthin with the BTCVT. Unplug the wired bus from the controller you want to connect to, and try. That may he all that you need to do.
    With the wired bus unplugged, the connection with a BTCVT actually is as it looks - just your laptop and the controller. With the wired bacnet trunk plugged in, your laptop is joining it as a 'wired' controller via a bluetooth connection at MAC 1 (or 2 was it? I forget) - so noise matters.
    Also, if there is another controller on the trunk at the same MAC as your BTCVT you will also not get in. Impossible to do with Johnson only devoces, but when there are mixed devices it is not only possible, but likely - don't nobody leave unnecessary gaps in their addresses... that is BACNet 101.
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BHord View Post
    Quick rundown:
    BTCVT will connect to bluetooth on 2 computer (one at a time). When CCT is opened, Bluetooth blue light connectivity is shown after clicking connect, however it goes through the motions of discovering devices, and eventually stops and ends up with none found. This happen on multiple computer with the same BTCVT. Has anyone ran across this issue and have a fix or at least a cause or explanation? This makes 2 different BTCVT devices that this has happened on in the past year.

Thanks

using Bluetooth, connect your laptop to the BTCVT. Then open the Bluetooth Wireless Utility and see if you're connected as it'll show you the strength etc... from this you can tell what's happening.

Post Likes
    I purchased a bluetooth tool from ebay a while back and realized after lot of troubleshooting that if had reached it mazimum number of new devices (laptops). 25 i think. Money well spent. I bought a new one and it worked great.

Another thing i tried in the past with picky BTCVT tools is to connect to the tool. Not yet a controller. Go to your bluetoother options. Then click more bluetooth options. Click COM ports and assign new com ports to your tool. Keep in mind that even with a fast computer the it will take a few minutes. Restart your computer. Disconnect your tool. Reconnect and plug in your tool and try the new com ports.

Post Likes
    Sounds similar to mine. Was working great then the other day it went through all the steps connected to an NCE controller and just when waiting for the controller to come up it disconnected. Happened on multiple controllers and many tries, with the bus disconnected. Any suggestions?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacguy0210 View Post
    I purchased a bluetooth tool from ebay a while back and realized after lot of troubleshooting that if had reached it mazimum number of new devices (laptops). 25 i think. Money well spent. I bought a new one and it worked great.
    Can that list be cleared or is this a designed in planned obsolescence thing?
    Scott Jalbert, WebCTRL ninja, Naiagara AX and Smartstruxure newb, SiteScan Retired

The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried

Post Likes
    Had some time this morning so tried connecting to an unused panel. First connected using controller information,then tried but disconnected after discovering and uploading, then did a manual connect to the address and was able to commission and use configuration. Unfortunately, exited and tried again but got an error message and could not connect a second time. Have up and worked on something else. Not a Johnson rep just have to work on Johnson equipment we have been given so probably won't get much support from Johnson.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny5$$$$$ View Post
    Had some time this morning so tried connecting to an unused panel. First connected using controller information,then tried but disconnected after discovering and uploading, then did a manual connect to the address and was able to commission and use configuration. Unfortunately, exited and tried again but got an error message and could not connect a second time. Have up and worked on something else. Not a Johnson rep just have to work on Johnson equipment we have been given so probably won't get much support from Johnson.
    Looked over some of my older notes and it seems the major issue is due to the driver in the PC or date code of the BTCVT.

Also found how it works -> if you care

One green LED should always be lit, one green LED should be flashing, one blue LED should be lit when the bluetooth connection is active.

The green LED that is always on should be the Power indicator. The green LED that is flashing should be the SA/FC bus indicator. The blue LED is the Link indicator.

During normal operation the red fault LED should not be seen.

When you first plug the BTCVT into a controller or Netsensor, the power LED should light and remain lit as long as the BTCVT is connected. If it doesn't then you are having problems powering the BTCVT. This could be related to the cable used to connect the BTCVT. It could also be the power supplied by the controller for the SA Trunk.

If the BTCVT is using the SA Trunk supplied power, take into consideration other devices that are already using the trunk power. NetSensors, for example, use the power from the trunk. Multiple Netsensors (either Averaging or a combination of Wall and Duct mounted), the wireless router ZFR-1811-0, or a local display terminal might also be using SA trunk power. If power is an issue then you will have to either remove some of the existing devices while using the BTCVT, or find another location (trunk) to connect the BTCVT to.

Shortly after the BTCVT is connected, the SA/FC Bus LED should start flashing. This indicates the BTCVT was offered the MSTP token and has joined the token loop. The BTCVT behaves like any other device on the MSTP trunk, regardless of whether it is the FC trunk or the SA trunk. If this LED is not flashing then the BTCVT hasn't linked into the MSTP token loop. First check the LED on the controller to see if it's flashing. On the VMA and FEC there are two LEDs; one for the SA trunk, and one for the FC trunk. Be sure to check the LED for the trunk the BTCVT is connected to. The controller's LED should be flashing as well if it's communicating on the trunk.

The BTCVT behaves like an MSTP device, so when it powers up it is supposed to 'listen' first to determine if other devices are transmitting on the trunk. If the BTCVT detects traffic on the trunk it should remain quiet until a Poll for Master request is sent to Node Address 1. The BTCVT is fixed at Node Address 1, it cannot be changed, and this is a reason why Johnson Controls MSTP trunks (FC or SA) start device addressing at node 4. If another BTCVT is connected to the same trunk, there will be two devices with the same node address and communication failure will occur.

When the BTCVT receives a Poll for Master, then it will respond that it is a master (it can handle the token), and the token should be passed to the BTCVT. Once in the loop, the BTCVT is passing the token and remaining in the token loop, even if it is simply connected and not currently in use by CCT. This is the flashing of the green SA/FC Bus LED on the BTCVT.

When CCT is actively using the Bluetooth link to the BTCVT then the blue LED will be lit. The blue LED shouldn't be flashing, it should remain on solid while linked to CCT. When the blue LED of the BTCVT is On you should also see the Bluetooth Icon in the system tray of the computer running CCT turn green in the center. This icon is your indication of a active bluetooth connection from the computer running CCT.

If you are having problems making or maintaining a Bluetooth connection between the BTCVT and computer, there is a utility loaded with CCT called BTCVT Wireless Utility. The utility is located in the Windows Start button menu. From the Start button select All Programs > Johnson Controls > Metasys. The shortcut for the 'Bluetooth Wireless Utility' is here. This application will allow you to connect and check some diagnostics including bluetooth signal strength.

The solid red fault LED is never a good sign. This indicates an internal issue with the BTCVT. You can try unplugging the BTCVT and then reconnecting (power cycling it).

A flashing red fault LED indicates the F/C bus wiring is incorrect, grounded or has a reverse polarity connection. Divide and test the MSTP bus until you find the section and controller where the wiring mistake was made.

Post Likes
    So you're saying my driver may have updated and that is causing problems now? Can I restore the proper driver with my CCT 10.2 disk? It is strange that it worked great for quite awhile then just last try started having some issues and it randomly will work if the light stays blue long enough to get the commission screen to load up, otherwise it just says disconnect in the screen bottom and the CCT software circle keeps spinning.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    Can that list be cleared or is this a designed in planned obsolescence thing?
    It can be cleared, but it has to be sent back to JCI.
    I don’t know if it’s something that could be done by the average Joe. I’ll do some investigating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast