Post Likes

Walk in Cooler and Freezer icing over

I'm a Student at a Tech school, for HVAC/R and we have a client/customer who owns a restaurant, and they have a walk in cooler/walk in freezer combination.( the cooler leads into the freezer.) Anyways; they both have large sheets of ice forming on the evaporator to the point where it's choking of the fans and limiting air flow. The ice is forming from the very top of the unit and then going down the unit. We are at a loss of what could be causing it. In the freezer the heaters are doing their job and the areas that are heated are not freezing as badly. the Employees have been shutting the system off when unloading trucks into the freezer/cooler combo, if that makes a diffrence.

Post Likes
    Slight Update, It's just the freezer we are having problems with, I mispoke about the cooler, We think we might have the cooler issue nailed down, freezer still no idea why it's icing over the way it is.

Post Likes
    How long is defrost and how does it terminate (time temperature or both) some pics of the ice formation might help. Check out defrost circuit thoroughly if you can’t find fault defrost manually and get every last sliver of ice. If you leave even the slightest amount it will betray you then monitor ice formation every day, week, etc till you find the issue
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    How long is defrost and how does it terminate (time temperature or both) some pics of the ice formation might help. Check out defrost circuit thoroughly if you can’t find fault defrost manually and get every last sliver of ice. If you leave even the slightest amount it will betray you then monitor ice formation every day, week, etc till you find the issue
    Next time I'm on location I'll get some pictures, and the ice is forming on the top of the unit above the case, and then working its way down till it gets to the bottom and then thickens.

Post Likes
    Students with clients?

Post Likes
    The school does work in the local community and we the students do the work as learning experience with our instructors

Post Likes
    Freezers generally from what I see, do build up ice on the evap but the defrost should take care of that, someone here will know better than me but there is a certain amount of defrosts you will need to do every day to keep it going.

Either not enough defrost, super low charge or air is getting in the box.

Ice on the coils or lines or on anything at atmospheric pressure is just an indication that the lines or surface temp is below 32*F and there is moisture in the air.

So either get the surface temp above 32*F (not an option in this case) or get rid of the moisture OR just deal with the ice when it forms (defrost)

Coil's icing up is just about the most common type of problem you'll see or at least what I see which you then have to figure out why it happens.

what did you guys look into? You mentioned you were at a loss as to why it's happening, what did you check?

Post Likes
    A picture of the way the ice is forming will say a thousand words.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    I plan on getting as many pictures as possible the next time I'm there