Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: 404A

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Albuquerque NM
    Posts
    9
    Post Likes

    404A

    i have a 404A circuit that i believe is leaking. I am proposing to recover and weigh the charge and pressurize the circuit and leak check. The customer is under a time crunch and is insisting we top off the charge inject dye and leak check it that way. it was my understanding that blends like 404 leak their individual gases at different rates and you therefore can't just top off the charge without creating a host of other problems because the mixture of the gases is no longer correct. Am i wrong? I don't want to give this person the wrong information. Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    22,093
    Post Likes
    Giving information or doing the actual work?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Albuquerque NM
    Posts
    9
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Both

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    LEHIGH VALLEY, PA
    Posts
    647
    Post Likes
    R404A is topped off usually with out issue . Always charge in the liquid phase .

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    25,148
    Post Likes
    As a practical working matter I disagree with your basic premise in regard to fractionation

    But beyond that - even if we do apply your logic; what's the difference? Add dye, top off the charge, find and repair the leak, and then install fresh refrigerant anyway. <g>

    PHM
    -------------




    Quote Originally Posted by Groghouse View Post
    i have a 404A circuit that i believe is leaking. I am proposing to recover and weigh the charge and pressurize the circuit and leak check. The customer is under a time crunch and is insisting we top off the charge inject dye and leak check it that way. it was my understanding that blends like 404 leak their individual gases at different rates and you therefore can't just top off the charge without creating a host of other problems because the mixture of the gases is no longer correct. Am i wrong? I don't want to give this person the wrong information. Thanks
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Albuquerque NM
    Posts
    9
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    All good answers thank you

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,726
    Post Likes
    The glide on 404A is very low. I don’t even think twice about topping it off.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Australia : Queensland
    Posts
    1,818
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Groghouse View Post
    i have a 404A circuit that i believe is leaking. I am proposing to recover and weigh the charge and pressurize the circuit and leak check. The customer is under a time crunch and is insisting we top off the charge inject dye and leak check it that way. it was my understanding that blends like 404 leak their individual gases at different rates and you therefore can't just top off the charge without creating a host of other problems because the mixture of the gases is no longer correct. Am i wrong? I don't want to give this person the wrong information. Thanks
    What is the gross charge ?

    You can’t put gas into a system where you know it is going to leak straight back out.
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    22,093
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fridg View Post
    What is the gross charge ?

    You can’t put gas into a system where you know it is going to leak straight back out.
    Unfortunately in the US we can. I don’t agree but that’s the way it is!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Australia : Queensland
    Posts
    1,818
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Unfortunately in the US we can. I don’t agree but that’s the way it is!

    I could see some clients being taken advantage of by the cowboys.
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    1,283
    Post Likes
    I say nuke the whales The government is never the answer when it comes to regulations
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

    I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    22,093
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    I say nuke the whales The government is never the answer when it comes to regulations
    X2

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Australia : Queensland
    Posts
    1,818
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    I say nuke the whales The government is never the answer when it comes to regulations
    It was done with consultation from industry body & licences are issued by that body.
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •