Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    It’s a piece of copper pipe, it’s not gonna vary that much from 6 to 9 to 12, especially if insulated. When/if it frosts over (low/medium temp) its not like it just frosts in one place. Yes theoretically there could be a river of oil that insulated the bottom, and warmer vapors at the top. So mount it properly, but incorrect o’clock won’t cause 80 psi suction with 410A.

Make sure it has good thermal contact along the length of the bulb and copper straps are tight. That bulb is measuring temperature just like we do when we check superheat. Kind of obvious but just saying. Do you really put your temp clamps at a certain o’clock to check superheat?

2. Likes Core_d liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by knave View Post
    It’s a piece of copper pipe, it’s not gonna vary that much from 6 to 9 to 12, especially if insulated. When/if it frosts over (low/medium temp) its not like it just frosts in one place. Yes theoretically there could be a river of oil that insulated the bottom, and warmer vapors at the top. So mount it properly, but incorrect o’clock won’t cause 80 psi suction with 410A.

Make sure it has good thermal contact along the length of the bulb and copper straps are tight. That bulb is measuring temperature just like we do when we check superheat. Kind of obvious but just saying. Do you really put your temp clamps at a certain o’clock to check superheat?
    Bulb placement does affect the valve operation. I have moved a bulb from the bottom to the manufacturer recommend position and the TXV stopped hunting....thermal contact with pipe and good insulation are key.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Artietech View Post
    Bulb placement does affect the valve operation. I have moved a bulb from the bottom to the manufacturer recommend position and the TXV stopped hunting....thermal contact with pipe and good insulation are key.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    I can see that it could help with hunting to get farther from the liquid. In refrigeration I see hunting quite abit, even with proper bulb location. I still don’t think it caused the OP situation of 80 psi.

Post Likes
    Typically bulb position does not really affect operation until you get into larger pipe, just don't put it on the bottom where there can be a layer of oil acting as an insulation layer.
    Worry is a really gross misuse of one's imagination. -- PHM

6. Likes Core_d, The Turtleman liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Typically bulb position does not really affect operation until you get into larger pipe, just don't put it on the bottom where there can be a layer of oil acting as an insulation layer.
    And make sure if mounting in the vertical position, the captubes on the end of the bulb are facing upwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12