Post Likes

HVAC tech cut a line in coil during new furnace install. Now we have NO AC

We had a new furnace installed in Feb. (our Central Air is old but has always worked) The tech accidentally put a hole in coil- resulting in a big freon leak in our house. He apparently soldered the hole he put in as a temporary fix. Said they'd come back in spring. The service ticket says: they "left a charge in line and set coil but would come in spring to connect the "com wire." So far they've come back twice. They say they cannot fix it. After the first tech couldn't get the refrigerant to pump, they sent out the manager. He said this in the service ticket he provided (a week later as he left without leaving it for us) : " No A/c found unit with compressor not pumping refrigerant. Pulling 4.5 amps. Looked at repair (That THEIR TECH DID) concerned that leak repair filled evap coil and nothing will pump." He said someone would be in touch with us. We heard nothing but got a quote for a new Central Air system. Can someone tell me what this means? The tech even told my husband that he thinks when they tried to repair the hole, they filled it up so nothing can get through. He also said the compressor did turn on, but nothing comes out. I cannot afford a $ new system, I just want them to fix what they broke. Can anyone give me advice?

Post Likes
    If your a/c was functioning correctly before they installed the furnace, then returning it to that condition is solely their responsibility.
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Post Likes
    Sounds like they bought you a new coil and refrigerant! I've had the fortune of working for a couple of different stand up companies. They would obviously attempt to repair but if repair didn't hold they'd replace the coil and refrigerant-no charge.

Now that's a very hefty chunk of money the contractor has to eat. I don't think it would be inappropriate to throw you a sweetheart quote on a new ac system for your inconvenience, but your under no obligation to take it. They need to return it to working order on their dime

Post Likes
    Contact the state board that governs HVAC companies. Their tech admitted to causing the problem. If they do not try to make it right, lawyer up...
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Post Likes
    Thank you. We are afraid they are going to claim that because it's an older model, it somehow broke itself over the winter (after the put the hole in it).

Post Likes
    If it’s leaking at the puncture point again that’s game over for them. Do you have them on paperwork admitting they damaged it? Liability rests with them. Sh-t happens, that’s life, and a company that won’t take care of you when it does, I’d tell them to come pick up their equipment, they are fired. My last employer had to replace a complete communicating split system for free. Maintenance guy fried something that could not be replaced or repaired, but they took care of the customer. Having said that approach them in a calm manner and take notes. No sense in lawyering up unless you two can’t come to a settlement that makes you happy

Post Likes
    A/C unit don't "break themselves" by sitting over the winter.
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Post Likes
    Any system under pressure could begin leaking at any time. The way I understand it in my state is that if it was working before you disturbed it, then it’s on you to make it operational again. If they are trying to say that it leaked out over the winter, that’s called speculation unless they tested it and have it written down that the system was empty at the start of the job. I think they need to step up and make it right, but it sounds like they are trying to shut you down by blowing smoke.

Post Likes
    I would get a quote from another company to fix it including new coil, filter-dryer, refrigerant (make sure its genuine R-22 quoted), and labor.

Then offer them the option to fix it as above, pay you that amount, or take their quote for a new system and discount it by that much.

If not contact the State and/or their insurance company. File a claim. They will probably pay instead of needing to sue.

If you do sue it is within the realm of Small Claims, but you may want a lawyer if hey have one. Bring ALL paperwork, and you will likely need to bring the person who made the quote or at the very least get a certified declaration. Check with an attourney, clerk of court, or the rules of civil procedure for your state.

Do NOT mess up because if you do your evidence wont be admissible and you will loose. Hence an attourney may be a good option.