+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will sulfur containing water harm geothermal heat pump system?

Post Likes

Will sulfur containing water harm geothermal heat pump system?

We have two wells on our property. One is a ground water well that may not provide the necessary volume required for heat transfer. It's a big old brick well 30" x 36' but right now isn't providing even 5 gpm.
    We also have a deeper well that if it still works could probably produce the necessary volume of water to the system but has a lot of sulfur in it. Don't know the ph but could find out before using. Right now I'm just trying to find out if this deeper well would be appropriate for geothermal assuming it produced a sufficient volume of water.
    thanks

Post Likes
    Typically heat pump manufactures post a water quality chart that indicates what parameters the water should be in. It would require you to have your water tested though.

Post Likes
    I'd Use a Closed Loop , Not an Open Loop - fill the Brick Well with Water from other well Only During Hot Spells , or run it just enough to maintain Higher Level in that
    36 ft deep well ( Only Needed ) Very Hot Spells . Set Your Pipe for all the ( Loops Required ) and fill it with Sand , so During Really Hot Summer - Flow some Water down into Sand ~ Well water might be 55-66 Degrees or Cooler depending on where it's coming from .. ~ Just to Kick Up Eff% ~

Just saying as If your in Texas , Top 6 ft of Sand get pretty warm .

Post Likes
    Even in TN Top 6ft of Earth gets pretty Warm in 2nd Half of Hot Summer . . , Unless You have a Full 9-10ft Deep Basement - Completely Buried -
    Then with some Top Layers after Cap stone - which will be covered with Stone or Bricks . .
    Even Better - Fully Poured - Min. 8 Inches then Basement will stay Cool ..

Unless You place Termite Hard Foam R10 around say new Basement .. then You get by with 7ft. Hold 72 Degrees .. In Winter 59 Degrees.

My Basement Floor being 9ft down just above French Drain system around the Footer . . ( NO R10 )
    Right Now after all Heat We have had - Basement Floor _ Tile on Concrete is 69.2 F @ Floor / Most likely 55-54 Degrees On Floor in Winter If I Recall ..

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in