Thread: Trane Trips

Post Likes

Trane Trips

Had a Trane Chiller. 2 circuits. Each with 2 twinned Compressors. Circuit 1 Compressor,intermittently will trip the Factory installed Circuit Breaker that feeds the Contactor.When on site,all is well. If there was a power loss and the Compressor tried starting under a Heavy load,would that be a possible cause? Bad contactor? Amp draw was 20 out of a rated 25 when on site,low load,because it had been running on the other 3 by the time we arrived. Maybe Condenser fans failing? They all ran when on site.Heavy rains came,so we left the roof. Not much diagnosis time.We did have an error for bad condenser temp sensor on circuit 2,so we ordered one,but can't see that having an effect on circuit 1. Will have to get more into it upon return. Any insight appreciated.

Post Likes
    Sounds intermittent look for broken wires between transitions. Start with the motor that the breaker protects (i.e compressors, condensers).

Post Likes
    Model?
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Post Likes
    Verify factory wiring is landed correctly for each circuit

Post Likes
    It's an oldie. CGAFC604AGA1000F000N000TOW00. One of our senior techs thinks it's the circuit breaker itself, so far everything else checks out. And I did mean to post this in the Pro section. But either way, I'll leave it up to the mods.

Post Likes
    Poor power quality, dropped or low voltage legs, etc can cause a circuit breaker trip. Also, as you found, the compressors will run higher amps with higher head pressures. An inoperable head pressure controller/sensor will chase issues too.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Post Likes
    If all checks are in order (including motor insulation resistance check), you may reposition two circuit breakers from one compressor to another. Or simple replace the suspicious breaker (may be temporarily) by the new one.

Post Likes
    Thanks. All good advice. This particular system,we can shut down too long. So it will be one step at a time. Turn off,check,turn on and bring the temp back down. Then turn off and continue with the checks,and so on and so forth.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sserrviceman View Post
    If all checks are in order (including motor insulation resistance check), you may reposition two circuit breakers from one compressor to another. .........

This^^^
    Eric

Post Likes
    What was the solution with this chiller ? I'm working on the same type right now with similar issues. Any feedback will be great