Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 42
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Louisburg Kansas
    Posts
    4,113
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Nucirchiller are you saying Trump's question to the Navy guys and their answer that they preferred steam at least for now is the right decision?
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Prattville, Alabama
    Posts
    3,557
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    Nucirchiller are you saying Trump's question to the Navy guys and their answer that they preferred steam at least for now is the right decision?
    No.
    In honor of RichardL: "Ain't 'None' of us as smart as 'All' of us".

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o
    Posts
    1,776
    Post Likes
    Trump doesn't know anything about anything. Anybody that has ever worked on a boiler knows the work a boiler takes to keep running and space they take up so I'd imagine gutting all of the steam stuff would leave you with a smaller and lighter system and probably one much less complicated as well. Why he thinks an electronic system is fragile is beyond me the entire military runs on digital everything if you took away a soldier's electronics they probably couldn't find their way to breakfast in the morning. As for what the sailors want it's probably to not have to learn a new system so if the choice is stick with steam or sit through more training they are going to clap for steam. That isn't ruling out that they were just clapping for steam because they thought that was what Trump wanted them to do.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Louisburg Kansas
    Posts
    4,113
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Are you saying the only reason the ships have a boiler is for the catapult? You sure made it sound that way.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o
    Posts
    1,776
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    Are you saying the only reason the ships have a boiler is for the catapult? You sure made it sound that way.
    No, I'm saying that the components to run a steam catapult can't be small or simple when you look at the work it has to do.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Louisburg Kansas
    Posts
    4,113
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Trumps concern with the electronic cats is that cost overruns are close to a billion dollars and they are still having problems. These things have to work. No ifs ands or buts. The entire ship is useless without them. I don't know which way they should go but if I were president I would be concerned about it.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    44,296
    Post Likes
    While I am not blindly supporting the new electronic catapults...
    I do seem to remember the military seems to be an R&D agent sometimes...
    They try new things... it takes time to get the bugs out... now and then some things do not work out.
    OTOH... lots of new things DO!!!
    And when they do... they work VERY well!

    Lets give them a chance to get the bugs out... then see if they are dependable!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

    GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o
    Posts
    1,776
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    While I am not blindly supporting the new electronic catapults...
    I do seem to remember the military seems to be an R&D agent sometimes...
    They try new things... it takes time to get the bugs out... now and then some things do not work out.
    OTOH... lots of new things DO!!!
    And when they do... they work VERY well!

    Lets give them a chance to get the bugs out... then see if they are dependable!
    Exactly, it's new tech but there was a time not that long ago where airplanes were unreliable new tech as well. Besides why would anyone send this project back to the drawing board based on the engineering knowledge of Donald Trump? He isn't basing his concerns off anything they aren't already aware of he is just rambling out loud about something he doesn't really know anything about. So lets say they scrap this new tech and spend all this money shoehorning steam catapults into place. What if everyone else sees the new tech and decides to run with it? Now you've got your next gen aircraft carriers out there with catapult technology that was cutting edge back in the days of swing music.

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Louisburg Kansas
    Posts
    4,113
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    I'm not taking a position on this other than I do see Trumps point of view. It does appear the electronic cats have promise to be superior to the steam ones. Are they ready?
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

  10. Likes captube liked this post.
  11. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Prattville, Alabama
    Posts
    3,557
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    While I am not blindly supporting the new electronic catapults...
    I do seem to remember the military seems to be an R&D agent sometimes...
    They try new things... it takes time to get the bugs out... now and then some things do not work out.
    OTOH... lots of new things DO!!!
    And when they do... they work VERY well!

    Lets give them a chance to get the bugs out... then see if they are dependable!
    Agreed.
    In honor of RichardL: "Ain't 'None' of us as smart as 'All' of us".

  12. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Prattville, Alabama
    Posts
    3,557
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    I'm not taking a position on this other than I do see Trumps point of view. It does appear the electronic cats have promise to be superior to the steam ones. Are they ready?
    Agreed.
    In honor of RichardL: "Ain't 'None' of us as smart as 'All' of us".

  13. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Prattville, Alabama
    Posts
    3,557
    Post Likes
    I hope to rejoin this discussion in a day or two.
    I'm currently dealing with a very sore right shoulder and upper arm and neck. May be nerve damage, don't know. Going to see the Doc later this morning. Hoping for immediate relief.
    In honor of RichardL: "Ain't 'None' of us as smart as 'All' of us".

  14. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    columbus, OH
    Posts
    7,044
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    I hope to rejoin this discussion in a day or two.
    I'm currently dealing with a very sore right shoulder and upper arm and neck. May be nerve damage, don't know. Going to see the Doc later this morning. Hoping for immediate relief.
    I got the same thing on my left side. Upper back of my arm.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Contracting Business
HPAC Engineering
EC&M
CONTRACTOR