Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 42
  1. #27
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    6,754
    Post Likes
    Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ3Ob9IF_w8


    Navy's F-35C Stealth Fighters Won't Fly From Troubled New Ford Class Carriers For Years
    Now, lawmakers want to make it illegal for the Navy to take delivery of the next carrier in the class if it can't deploy the jets.
    .
    [T]he more important thing here is that this is an admission that the Ford herself, which the Navy officially took delivery of in May 2017, cannot, at present, can't deploy the F-35C at all. The service declared initial operational capability with this carrier-based version of the Joint Strike Fighter in February 2019 and the jets are supposed to make their first operational deployment aboard the Nimitz-class USS Carl Vinson in 2021.

    The Seapower and Projection Forces Subcommittee's language doesn't say why this is the case, though Congressional staffers blamed it on previously legislated cost-cutting efforts, which legislators are also looking to repeal. In 2016, Congress demanded the Navy deliver reports on how it could try to keep the final bill for Ford, as well as the price tags of the other upcoming ships in the class, under control. The goal was to put a cap of no more than $11 billion on Kennedy's ultimate cost, which it reportedly has already exceeded.

    But "CVN-79 will not be able to deploy with F-35s when it’s delivered to the Navy as a direct result of that cost cap," Seapower and Projection Forces committee staffer told reporters, according to USNI News. "So when that cost cap was imposed, the Navy traded that capability off and chose to build that back in on the back end."

    The assertion is that these funding shortfalls have delays efforts to fix a host of issues on the Ford. When it comes to the lack of F-35 capability specifically, the most likely culprits are the Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS) and the Advanced Arresting Gear (AAG). These electrically-powered and electronically-controlled systems are supposed to give the Ford-class more control over the finer aspects of the launch and recovery process. The Navy claims this will improve sortie generation rates, reduce wear and tear on aircraft, and increase reliability and safety across the board.

    The War Zone has explored on multiple occasions how both systems, in practice, have chronically underperformed. The problems have been so persistent, that the Ford has been unable to meet its performance targets for launching and recovering aircraft even after the Navy lowered the bar with a "re-baselined reliability growth curve."

    Read the rest:
    https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...iers-for-years
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

    Change your vacuum pump oil now.

    Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

  2. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Louisburg Kansas
    Posts
    3,803
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Thanks for the info space. I am amazed the electronically controlled catapult and recovery systems were not perfected on land based R & D before being included in the design of new ships. Looks like a screw up that should never had happened. Another bone head idea Trump has to fix. Makes sense why he is considering mandating steam. I thought the elevators had been perfected but even they are not performing.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Prattville, Alabama
    Posts
    3,550
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Racer View Post
    Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ3Ob9IF_w8


    Navy's F-35C Stealth Fighters Won't Fly From Troubled New Ford Class Carriers For Years
    Now, lawmakers want to make it illegal for the Navy to take delivery of the next carrier in the class if it can't deploy the jets.
    .
    [T]he more important thing here is that this is an admission that the Ford herself, which the Navy officially took delivery of in May 2017, cannot, at present, can't deploy the F-35C at all. The service declared initial operational capability with this carrier-based version of the Joint Strike Fighter in February 2019 and the jets are supposed to make their first operational deployment aboard the Nimitz-class USS Carl Vinson in 2021.

    The Seapower and Projection Forces Subcommittee's language doesn't say why this is the case, though Congressional staffers blamed it on previously legislated cost-cutting efforts, which legislators are also looking to repeal. In 2016, Congress demanded the Navy deliver reports on how it could try to keep the final bill for Ford, as well as the price tags of the other upcoming ships in the class, under control. The goal was to put a cap of no more than $11 billion on Kennedy's ultimate cost, which it reportedly has already exceeded.

    But "CVN-79 will not be able to deploy with F-35s when it’s delivered to the Navy as a direct result of that cost cap," Seapower and Projection Forces committee staffer told reporters, according to USNI News. "So when that cost cap was imposed, the Navy traded that capability off and chose to build that back in on the back end."

    The assertion is that these funding shortfalls have delays efforts to fix a host of issues on the Ford. When it comes to the lack of F-35 capability specifically, the most likely culprits are the Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS) and the Advanced Arresting Gear (AAG). These electrically-powered and electronically-controlled systems are supposed to give the Ford-class more control over the finer aspects of the launch and recovery process. The Navy claims this will improve sortie generation rates, reduce wear and tear on aircraft, and increase reliability and safety across the board.

    The War Zone has explored on multiple occasions how both systems, in practice, have chronically underperformed. The problems have been so persistent, that the Ford has been unable to meet its performance targets for launching and recovering aircraft even after the Navy lowered the bar with a "re-baselined reliability growth curve."

    Read the rest:
    https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...iers-for-years
    I have not watched it yet, but that Youtube video was published in August 2015.
    In honor of RichardL: "Ain't 'None' of us as smart as 'All' of us".

  4. Likes Fender60 liked this post
  5. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    42,475
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    Thanks for the info space. I am amazed the electronically controlled catapult and recovery systems were not perfected on land based R & D before being included in the design of new ships. Looks like a screw up that should never had happened. Another bone head idea Trump has to fix. Makes sense why he is considering mandating steam. I thought the elevators had been perfected but even they are not performing.
    Question...

    WHO mandated the cost cutting???
    Was this Trump...
    Or was this BHO???
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

    GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Sumter, SC
    Posts
    726
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    I have not watched it yet, but that Youtube video was published in August 2015.
    The Air Force is ramping up the purchase of F15X models because the F35 has a lot of issues. Can’t imagine the Navy not having some of the same problems. Maybe the Ford class carriers and the F35’s will all come together around the same time.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Louisburg Kansas
    Posts
    3,803
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    I don't really know where the cost cutting mandate originated from. The way I understood it congress took the action and that was before Trump entered the picture. Cost over runs on government jobs are nothing new and expected.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

  8. Likes Fender60 liked this post
  9. #33
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    6,754
    Post Likes
    From the quote at the top of the page:

    Congressional staffers blamed it on previously legislated cost-cutting efforts, which legislators are also looking to repeal. In 2016, Congress demanded the Navy deliver reports on how it could try to keep the final bill for Ford, as well as the price tags of the other upcoming ships in the class, under control. The goal was to put a cap of no more than $11 billion on Kennedy's ultimate cost, which it reportedly has already exceeded.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

    Change your vacuum pump oil now.

    Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

  10. #34
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    6,754
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    I have not watched it yet, but that Youtube video was published in August 2015.
    If you think this is important, you may want to inform Joseph Trevithick, the author of the War Zone article I quoted from in the post at the top of this page. He posted it as well.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

    Change your vacuum pump oil now.

    Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

  11. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    42,475
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Racer View Post
    From the quote at the top of the page:
    Congressional staffers blamed it on previously legislated cost-cutting efforts, which legislators are also looking to repeal. In 2016, Congress demanded the Navy deliver reports on how it could try to keep the final bill for Ford, as well as the price tags of the other upcoming ships in the class, under control. The goal was to put a cap of no more than $11 billion on Kennedy's ultimate cost, which it reportedly has already exceeded.
    So it would appear the cutbacks were the fault of the previous administration...

    Makes sense... BHO was about reducing the USA to third world status...
    NOT MAGA!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

    GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

  12. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    42,475
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender60 View Post
    The Air Force is ramping up the purchase of F15X models because the F35 has a lot of issues. Can’t imagine the Navy not having some of the same problems. Maybe the Ford class carriers and the F35’s will all come together around the same time.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    While I am a bit biased... because I actually got a ride in the back seat of a 'Screaming Eagle' (F15)...

    I kinda like the idea of updating the 15's and deploying them!
    While they are at it... upgrade the 14's also... they were something to behold in their day!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

    GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

  13. Likes Fender60 liked this post
  14. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,296
    Post Likes
    LOL, What do you think Trump learned in two minute? That's what his attention span is.
    Retired, after 43 Years

  15. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Louisburg Kansas
    Posts
    3,803
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Tell us what you know about cat's madhat.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

  16. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,296
    Post Likes
    Follow this Link; https://www.military.com/dodbuzz/201...each-ford-2019

    I've seen Aircraft launched many times from Steam Catapults, have seen quite a few failures. It was on the ground, so rarely did it result in the loss of the Aircraft, which I never saw. One of my wife's friends was killed on the ground by a failed launch. The Steam has reached it's limits, a technology that has been refined since 1940. They even tried Super Heated Water, with catastrophic failures. I don't remember the temperature of the water, but I'd never want to be around it. Also the Navy has EMF under control, I serviced the Chillers that cooled the Aircrafts Hydraulic fluids, as it sat on the ground being tested. Also did Maintenance on the Vortex guns that cooled the interior of the Aircraft. Mostly cleaning jet exhaust residue out of the high temp. exhaust.
    Retired, after 43 Years

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •