Thread: refrigerant lines

Post Likes

refrigerant lines

In seeking replacement estimates for my 14 yr old heat pump & air handler, 1 company is replacing original refrigerant lines another company says, unnecessary. So, which is it? One company says the basement ceiling foil covering insulation is going to be removed & they won't replace it because it is not what they do. Need advice here, if someone could advise it'd be great, thanks!

Post Likes
    If it’s sized correctly, free of damage and not soft soldered there’s no reason it can’t be reused.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    These lines are @ least 14+ yrs old & I believe they were part of the original system. So this would be the 3rd system. This home is 31 yrs old & these lines may be that age as well. Thanks

Post Likes
    Lines are lines. No moving parts. Not much to go wrong in 14 years, or for be next 14 years.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

Post Likes
    Thanks, that's reassuring. What about manufacturer's specifications being met for existing lines to work with a new system? Sorry, I know very little about this.

Post Likes
    They will spec a sizing requirement. And any traps needed for rise/fall of the lines.
    Beyond that I’d blow them out with nitrogen do a pressure test during installation.

Post Likes
    You've been a good learning source, thanks

Post Likes
    So there going to remove the insulation on the ducts in the basement but not replace it?

Post Likes
    Basement has no insulation on the ducts or the trunk line, it's all exposed. Company is going to seal the ductwork tho.

Post Likes
    I like to see them replaced if possible. But if you had a clean, running system coming out, they're probably OK. Last summer the boss sold a job where they could have easily been changed. New customer, no history on the system. In a few days, the refrigerant line filter plugged up and stopped their cooling. That was an expensive fix for us.

Post Likes
    Had a good running system till it developed a refrigerant leak. One of the companies is going to flush the lines as well as inspect them if I select them. Then, if needing replacement it would be done! Thank you

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in