Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    What you need to find is a Tone Generator. They are helpful when some jerkoff can't pull same color conductor from one pull point to next and could not for their life make an asbuilt drawing.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    I second the turning off the breaker to the condenser but I use a non contact voltage tester. Some meters have it already built in but you can buy a cheap one for less than $20. It's the fastest & cheapest way I know to do it. All you have to do is run the non contact tester against the outside disconnect or breaker, no screws or wires to mess with. I have found where the high voltage & low voltage wires were crossed between different units in a multi unit building but that's pretty rare.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.

Post Likes
    But there are instances where the circuit is in the correct apartment and the low voltage wires go to a different apartment. That’s a nightmare to resolve as you have to go to multiple apartments to trace everything.

I had had one that wasn’t an issue until one unit was empty and the system was turned off. Then the occupied unit didn’t cool.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    I’m gonna try one I found on amazon for like 20 bucks. Extech TG20 wire tracer and tone generator. If it works great, if not well bye 20.00 bucks. Reviews seem to say it’ll do what I want.

Post Likes
    home depot has fluke toner for about 70 bucks. It has served me well
    Sent from the van with the a/c on.

Post Likes
    I have the Klein one from Home depot. Works well. I was able to prove to some GC that they sheet rocked and then put decorative stone overtop where one run of tstat wire was pulled. Of course he said that could never have happened.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaaron01 View Post
    I’m gonna try one I found on amazon for like 20 bucks. Extech TG20 wire tracer and tone generator. If it works great, if not well bye 20.00 bucks. Reviews seem to say it’ll do what I want.
    I bought something similar. Originally to trace t'phone wires but have used it for other wires.
    Less than $50 probably Amazon.
    I also have an older system made by Sotch (like tape) that uses calibrated resistors and a generator. Good up to 15 wires but I don't think it's made any more. If your electronic handy a decade counter could be rubed.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    I got a fluke 3000 for electric work thats come in really handy, never thought of trying it to find condensers. I c/ced the wrong condenser at a condo complex last year, ran out 100ft+ hose put it all away just to drag it all back out again, so I can understand the frustration. I think I like the turn it off at the breaker idea best.

Post Likes
    Have you ever tried to find a breaker for a unit in some multi-family buildings?

Now if it has a disconnect, that might work, but finding the breakers for some of them might take hours depending on the building and the age of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    I got a fluke 3000 for electric work thats come in really handy, never thought of trying it to find condensers. I c/ced the wrong condenser at a condo complex last year, ran out 100ft+ hose put it all away just to drag it all back out again, so I can understand the frustration. I think I like the turn it off at the breaker idea best.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    Have you ever tried to find a breaker for a unit in some multi-family buildings?

Now if it has a disconnect, that might work, but finding the breakers for some of them might take hours depending on the building and the age of it.

Can't say I've ever seen an a/c without a disconnect. All the large multi families I work in have sub panels in the unit. Seems the only places with main panels in the basement are 4 families and under and those aren't hard to figure out which a/c is which.

Post Likes
    These tracers become unbeatable in control wiring. It can be very time consuming when there are 10 or 15 questionable wires. I have had that situation many times especially when I did DDC installs or troubleshooting these systems.
    Hi volt disconnects are code but I have found systems w/o them. There is also mismarked panels. That reminds me, don't trust the pane breaker labels. That could bite ya.
    Who ever wired my house ( I actually know who) took te path of least resistance when it came to the duplex outlets. If a source was closer, go there. I still scratch my head as to what breaker does what. It's on my to do list when I'm out of the good stuff.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Look at the Mastech MS6818, Amazon has them for about $170. Works real good. Check out UTube video by entering the name and number , also sold under different names but most use the number MS6818 in the name. You can use this tool on energized circuits too.

Post Likes
    For those saying just turn the breaker off, but what if there are other breakers all ready turned off? You will find the wrong unit. Also, multiple companies can be working the same building in some areas. Think if the large apartment complexes, I will looking up the devices mentioned, thanks guys!
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast