Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Max allowable building height for mounting natural gas piping

Hi everyone,
    Does anybody know which codes and/or norms impose any constraints on the maximal allowed height of the building or building's roof for natural gas pipes installation on?
    I'm not actually from this industry, but a loyal customer of ours asked us to find all the possible restrictions regarding maximal allowable building height for installing of the rooftops, boiler rooms and natural gas piping for them both.
    Thanks a lot,
    Ruslan

Post Likes
    As far as the rise of the gas piping?
    I have buildings in excess of 12 stories that the mechanical room is on the roof.
    For specific information it’s best to know where your from, or what city your question pertains to.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Given enough supply pressure you can send gas anywhere so the only problem would be getting the equipment up there and any further restrictions or limitations would be determined by your building codes. Personally I hate elevators and stairs so I'd like all mechanical rooms to be ground floor with an access door right from the parking lot.

Post Likes
    I own a place in a 33 story high rise. Units from floor 25 and above have natural gas service...so gas goes up 32 floors since their is no 13th.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooty View Post
    Given enough supply pressure you can send gas anywhere so the only problem would be getting the equipment up there and any further restrictions or limitations would be determined by your building codes. Personally I hate elevators and stairs so I'd like all mechanical rooms to be ground floor with an access door right from the parking lot.
    As I'm sure you know, the problem with ground floor mechanical rooms, venting of gas boilers and water pressure on equipment.

Post Likes
    As others have stated, seen building's with gas equipment above 25 stories. The only issue I can think of beyond pressure drop is pipe expansion.

Gas pipework run across a roof is required to have offsets for expansion. Pipework in a building may see less difference in temps, but I wonder if expansion still needs to be considered? Mind you, it'll only be an inch for 250' of steel pipe at 50F delta.

Post Likes
    Worked in buildings with Gas Pumps!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post
    As I'm sure you know, the problem with ground floor mechanical rooms, venting of gas boilers and water pressure on equipment.
    Yeah but I can dream.

Post Likes
    Almost any kind of piping is required to have expansion offsets on straight runs over certain lengths. Even long runs of electrical wire need offsets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post
    As others have stated, seen building's with gas equipment above 25 stories. The only issue I can think of beyond pressure drop is pipe expansion.

Gas pipework run across a roof is required to have offsets for expansion. Pipework in a building may see less difference in temps, but I wonder if expansion still needs to be considered? Mind you, it'll only be an inch for 250' of steel pipe at 50F delta.
    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    While the codes remain the same, cities and counties and states can all augment them. Call your local jurisdiction (building department) and ask

Fastest & easiest way to find out

Good Luck

Post Likes
    Hi!
    I wonder what certain code regulates this kind of gas services installed in a so high building? Does there a limit for the allowed number of stories or total building height?
    Thanks a lot.

Post Likes
    Hi!
    As I said earlier, we were asked to find out some general restrictions to the maximal allowed height and/or the number of stories of the building with natural gas services in flats or/and on the roof.
    As a start reference was indicated Canada, but restriction and/or solutions from any other country will be very useful.
    Thanks

Post Likes
    Ultimately, we can all just give our experiences and understanding of relevant gas and building codes.

Even if this is a hypothetical thought exercise, it would be best if you were to just ring/email your local gas inspector or safety authority. They will be able to tell you if there is a restriction to height.

From a theoretical point of view, as long as minimum inlet gas pressure is maintained and unit is designed for the altitude it is installed at, I see no limit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast