Post Likes

AAON LC Air Cooled Chillers

I'm doing some controls work on a site with two little air cooled chillers, they're AAON LC 10 ton heat pump scroll compressor units with unloaders from about 2010.

I've never dealt with any AAON stuff here. I've dealt with plenty of scroll chillers, but they've all been either Multistack or Aermec units. Those control quite differently and don't have unloaders.

These AAON units seem to modulate pretty well, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the BACnet interface or the controls on these. The owner no longer has any of the documentation.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Was just in aaon controls class. What are you trying to do?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    What AAON control system is on board ? AAON are typically Hybrid design build to site spec . I have exposure to JCI to ORION ( AAON ) interface . It was a great challenge . Two three ring binders of page flipping .The site I had to conquer was ALL bells and whistle inclusive ( a lot of double monitoring and controlling - worse than normal . )

Post Likes
    Never seen an Aaon that modulated well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    It's got a Magnum BACnet controller in it. I was trying to get a CHW reset from the BMS via BACnet.

I think I figured it out, it seems like you set the low end of the CHW setpoint locally and then set another parameter for how many degrees it can reset above that on the keypad. Then there's a point you write to that is not the setpoint itself but how many degrees above the local setpoint it should be reset to. It's kinda confusing compared to most BACnet chillers I've seen that just let you write a setpoint value directly.

It's also all in degrees F, I wanted to change it to celcius, I didn't see an obvious way but that's not a huge deal I just converted it in the BMS.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cperk View Post
    Never seen an Aaon that modulated well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't tell me that, it's a real pain to access if it has to be reset.