Post Likes

contractor wire nutted two stage heat pump as single stage - what are the risks?

While I was away a new hvac guy came out to upgrade a 5 ton r22 system to a 5 ton r410a system. He installed a 5 ton trane xl16i two stage heat pump but he kept the existing trane xr80 furnace. I had asked for him to just install a single stage ac.
    He wire-nutted together the y1 and y2 and orange reversing valve wires and landed them on the y wire in the furnace. That goes to y1 on the thermostat. He claimed this would make the xl16i it run at 100% all the time, just like a single stage would.
    What are the risks in this situation? Since he already installed the xl16i I'll probably just have someone upgrade the xr80 to a variable speed xv80 at some point so this will all work the way it's supposed to.

Are there better instructions I can give the guy in the meantime? Doing lots of searching it seems like there are some more or less "appropriate" ways to wire up a two stage condensor to a single stage furnace?

I'd like to be able to give him better instruction or have more confidence the way he did it is ok for the time being.

Post Likes
    The XL16i has been a single stage for several years now so you might want to double check what he installed. So he actually completely installed a heatpump condenser instead of a straight ac?!? LOL!! Does he plan on returning with the correct unit? That's a pretty serious foul if he is going to just leave it like that

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    The XL16i has been a single stage for several years now so you might want to double check what he installed. So he actually completely installed a heatpump condenser instead of a straight ac?!? LOL!! Does he plan on returning with the correct unit? That's a pretty serious foul if he is going to just leave it like that
    Thanks for the reply! Yes I double checked. It's an older two stage xl16i unit that had come out of one of our other rentals. I was pretty surprised too. Wasn't what was supposed to have been installed, but I'm just trying to make the best of the situation to get through the summer heat. I don't think he's going to come back to put in the right unit.

Trying to figure out if I can leave it as is for now or if there is a better way it should be wired. Or I could possibly get someone to either swap it out or put in an appropriate two stage furnace to match it like an xv80.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by martinw View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Yes I double checked. It's an older two stage xl16i unit that had come out of one of our other rentals. I was pretty surprised too. Wasn't what was supposed to have been installed, but I'm just trying to make the best of the situation to get through the summer heat. I don't think he's going to come back to put in the right unit.

Trying to figure out if I can leave it as is for now or if there is a better way it should be wired. Or I could possibly get someone to either swap it out or put in an appropriate two stage furnace to match it like an xv80.
    I am confused. If you directed the HVAC contractor to take an outdoor unit from one of your rental properties, and install it at another property, how did he install the wrong equipment?

Did he not do exactly what he was told to do?
    It's an upside down world we live in.

Post Likes
    The way he installed it is fine. No harm will occur to it running in second stage only.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?