Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: No Fuses

Post Likes
    What a friggin Hack! Where's the No-Ox?

Quote Originally Posted by Fender60 View Post

As if 10mm sockets weren’t already hard to find. LOL
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Max breaker or fuse.

For what it is worth, I am not an installer. But I have waited for a few inspectors through the years. And I have never seen them look at the nomenclature plate. They are more concerned about proper fittings and support spacing and that everything looks like it is done in a clean workmanship like manner.

They also want to see all Breakers and disconnects turned off as though the equipment had never been turned on until they give the okay. Another thing that makes them happy is if you have all of the covers on any junction boxes removed so they can have easy inspection.

Heck, just a few months ago I had a warranty call on a new unit we installed. The tech put a 230 volt disconnect on a 460 unit and the inspector never caught it. I called the office to report it so they could schedule to have the correct disconnect put on the unit.
    That's "another side of the coin".

I've seen jobs where it looked like the Mech./ Electrical &/o Health Inspector apparently did a "Driveby", & the lack of an Inspection led to Equipment Failure & Property Damage. Those were some very interesting conversations, when I told the HO/ Building Owner to Contact the Building/Health Department.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    What a friggin Hack! Where's the No-Ox?

Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post
    Shell, what does your local AHJ say?
    They must agree with what I stated because we've never failed an inspection for that reason (to my knowledge).

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    So, ... Your AHJ allows non-fused disconnects at Condenser Units, as well as One Feeder to supply a AH & ODU.

Interesting.

What State & County do you do this work in?

Post Likes
    What's AHJ?

American Home Journal?
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

Post Likes
    What's AHJ?

American Home Journal?
    "A-Hole's Jurisdiction"

Post Likes
    So, ... Your AHJ allows non-fused disconnects at Condenser Units, as well as One Feeder to supply a AH & ODU.

Interesting.

What State & County do you do this work in?
    No, David. You've misconstrued what I've said.

- Non-fused disconnects are used when the circuit breakers are sized properly in the panel.

- in the event of a single feeder supplying the air handler and condensing unit, you can either have fused disconnects at both units, or a properly sized breaker (per the nameplate) at the panel for the larger load (usually the air handler with electric heat in FL), and a fused disconnect sized per the nameplate out at the smaller load (outdoor unit).

Are you in disbelief that the circuits/equipment are protected adequately? Or is it more of a workmanship issue that you take with this setup?

I see the "single feeder to both units" situation mostly in older condos in Martin county, FL.

It's not often, and I don't think I've seen it in any new(er) construction jobs, but we've done enough change-outs with wiring like that I've taken notice of the practice and it's safety.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    It's scary people do this. When I worked for a heat pump manufacture, we used variacs to vary the voltage for run testing equipment. One of the maintenance techs used pipe for fuses on the variac. Terrifying.

Post Likes
    That's "another side of the coin".

I've seen jobs where it looked like the Mech./ Electrical &/o Health Inspector apparently did a "Driveby", & the lack of an Inspection led to Equipment Failure & Property Damage. Those were some very interesting conversations, when I told the HO/ Building Owner to Contact the Building/Health Department.
    Ive been on a project that the inspector didn't even do a driveby, he asked us to text him pictures. I was shocked to say the least.

Post Likes
    We have video inspections around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I think that's what they called the Sprite: an Austin Healey Junior.

What's AHJ?

American Home Journal?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Ssshh . . .

Don't tell things like that to the lez english guy.
    Come on you Little Sissy BBbeerme, at least get my user name right. It is LZ, as in "LANDING ZONE ENGLISH", Vietnam. Course you would not know anything about that, as you were breast feed by your father till you were in your 20's, right? You keep messin with the head of the snake, and your bound to get bit beer. YOU Keep throwing the fodder, and i will return fire with more than you can possibly handle, i promise you this, and the ban be damn, which is what you are seeking anyway, right?. PS: Now ya got me thinking of visiting the city again, you happy?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast