Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: No Fuses

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Just went to YouTube and entered the search words: Ding Dance

And Crazy Frog came up in the first three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k85mRPqvMbE

Do be careful, it's a bit of an ear wig.

That Kinda Sounds like My Better 3/4s after her 6th cup of coffee.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    these are 500A fuses... even a pipe melts with the correct current flowing through

Post Likes
    Oh one of them was the time I built an addition to a theater. It was an area where they said they might have an orchestra - although that was not actually in the intended use. Code called for 8" floor joists on 16" centers. I installed 10" joists on 12" centers. And installed (and just that quick I forget what they are called! - it's a short length of 2 x 12" nailed or screwed in at 90º to the joists) in every joist bay to further solid up the floor. Then double 3/4" plywood screwed and glued. The inspector asked why I had done all that.

Let's go walk on it - ok; feels like concrete don't it?

It IS solid - I'll give you that.

Well; there's your answer then. The costs were only slightly higher and the job is far superior.

But why did you bother doing it? It wasn't Called for.

(I pulled out one of my favorites for him

I Set examples - I don't follow them. <g>

Oh; and one time I wanted my carport bigger. The rafters were already 2 x 12's. I wanted it about 5-6' feet bigger each way. So I poured a concrete footing and wall out five feet. It was full full of rebar and extended about 5' below grade. On it I built a stud wall out of 2 x 4's but 12" on-center.

I lengthened the existing rafters each with 2 x 12 x 16' 'sistered' onto the existing rafters with 1/2" by 4" carriage bolts, washer and nuts. I forget whether it was six or eight bolts per.

The inspector came by and from his car window said: You can't do that - the 'sister' has to double the full length of the rafter.

Why not?

It won't hold. First snow and it's be down.

Really? Come on - let's take a look at it.

So he gets out and starts squinting up at my work:

How the hell big Are those rafters? Ten inch?

No they're 2 by 12's.

Who the hell put Them up there? Hell; you could drive a truck on that roof!

I built it. It can't be Too strong, can it? <g>

Wait a minute - are they Bolts? The 2 by 12 extension pieces you added are Thru-bolted? All of them?

Drilled and filled every hole myself.

What; are you crazy? When I drove by I assumed they were nailed. Nobody uses bolts.

Except me.

OK; just call me when you done and I'll sign off on it. We got nothing to worry about with You building it! I never saw anything like it!

I tell guys in this business: Make every job a Masterwork - and you will never regret it. But it really applies to everything you do. It's pretty tough to do it too well.

I wouldn't spend double - but if doing it really well costs 5-10% more - why Not do it?

PHM
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post

From the beginning of when I got involved in the Trade, working for others at first, & then on my own, .... Even in Training Poodle, I was always told to run dedicated circuits to each unit.

What did You do "Too Well"?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

4. Likes Achso017 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Oh one of them was the time I built an addition to a theater. It was an area where they said they might have an orchestra - although that was not actually in the intended use. Code called for 8" floor joists on 16" centers. I installed 10" joists on 12" centers. And installed (and just that quick I forget what they are called! - it's a short length of 2 x 12" nailed or screwed in at 90º to the joists) in every joist bay to further solid up the floor. Then double 3/4" plywood screwed and glued. The inspector asked why I had done all that.

Well; there's your answer then. The costs were only slightly higher and the job is far superior.

Oh; and one time I wanted my carport bigger. The rafters were already 2 x 12's. I wanted it about 5-6' feet bigger each way. So I poured a concrete footing and wall out five feet. It was full full of rebar and extended about 5' below grade. On it I built a stud wall out of 2 x 4's but 12" on-center.

I lengthened the existing rafters each with 2 x 12 x 16' 'sistered' onto the existing rafters with 1/2" by 4" carriage bolts, washer and nuts. I forget whether it was six or eight bolts per.

The inspector came by and from his car window said: You can't do that - the 'sister' has to double the full length of the rafter.

Why not?

No they're 2 by 12's.

Wait a minute - are they Bolts? The 2 by 12 extension pieces you added are Thru-bolted? All of them?

What; are you crazy? When I drove by I assumed they were nailed. Nobody uses bolts.

Except me.

OK; just call me when you done and I'll sign off on it. We got nothing to worry about with You building it! I never saw anything like it!

I tell guys in this business: Make every job a Masterwork - and you will never regret it. But it really applies to everything you do. It's pretty tough to do it too well.

I wouldn't spend double - but if doing it really well costs 5-10% more - why Not do it?

PHM
    -----------
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Post Likes
    Just went to YouTube and entered the search words: Ding Dance

And Crazy Frog came up in the first three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k85mRPqvMbE

Do be careful, it's a bit of an ear wig.
    On th' Floor & Dance Ya'll!!!!
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    I honestly wasn't even considering a heat pump with so much auxiliary heat when I started thinking about this, however - you could technically still do the same wiring arrangement but use the 100 amp breaker and fused disconnects at the indoor and outdoor units. Conceptually it would then become no different than a branch circuit to a sub-panel.

Does that clear things up?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    No Shell, ... I've never been allowed to set up a system like that.

A Breaker sized for both units, could feed a SER Circuit to a Sub-panel, where a breaker could feed/supply power to the IDU, & another breaker could "feed" the ODU, .... And in my position that would include a fused disconnect within reach of the ODU.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender60 View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

I agree that it's not "OK".

Instead of a 2" sheet metal screw, ... they used a low life dry wall screw, & they didn't tape the connection with foil tape.

I'm not being serious here fender.

9. Likes Fender60 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavhorna View Post
    these are 500A fuses... even a pipe melts with the correct current flowing through
    Indeed Gus.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post

Why not?

No they're 2 by 12's.

Except me.

PHM
    -----------
    "(and just that quick I forget what they are called! - it's a short length of 2 x 12" nailed or screwed in at 90º to the joists) in every joist bay to further solid up the floor. "

That B called "Bridging" & Dang!! You did all of the work in a "Superior Fashion"

I believe the same way, ... If You ain't prepared to come & "Play Hardball" in all that One does, .... Then don't come.

Post Likes
    Just this last weekend, I was in the garage/shop and Black Betty came on the radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_2D8Eo15wE

I found myself slip sliding across the floor. If my better half was there, I would have handed her the smarty phone to grab a vid. Just for yu DDB. But alas, I was all alone, rockin' out to the tune.

Did you know Tom Jones came out with a version of Black Betty? Oh, those were the days . . .

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post
    On th' Floor & Dance Ya'll!!

!!
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    Just this last weekend, I was in the garage/shop and Black Betty came on the radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_2D8Eo15wE

I found myself slip sliding across the floor. If my better half was there, I would have handed her the smarty phone to grab a vid. Just for yu DDB. But alas, I was all alone, rockin' out to the tune.

Did you know Tom Jones came out with a version of Black Betty? Oh, those were the days . . .
    YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With Yer Sheet Metal & Piping Skills, BB, .... Couldn't U rig up a "Head Mounted Cell phone Holder", to keep handy for moments Like "Ole Black Betty", where U could do "Selfie Videos" of Yer Dancin'?

Sir, ... there's possibly a "Cash Loss" there, ... It coulda been titled "BBeerme does Black Betty in his Garage", .... I can hear the crowds roaring for more as they throw Billions toward your soon coming "Empire of Dance". Thar's Gold in them thar Hills Brother! Gold I say!

Tom Jones, doin' "Black Betty"??? In his suit???? Seriously????

To

Post Likes
    YouTube is friggin' great.

Here's Tom Jones doing Lead Belly's Black Betty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXl98QQcVxM

Probably considered racist by the whackos of today.

Enjoy it all the way to the end, where they say . . . One more time . . .

Post Likes
    This about what I look like movin' and jivin' to the tunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpsGh4Amt44

By the way. There's a couple of Tom Jones tunes that just really rock.

Oh, on a side note, I think the first time I heard Tom Jones was in the 70's when I was in high school. When he sung the impossible dream. At the time, I was a rock 'n' roller, but that really sunk in deep. That song still does something for me.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678