Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes

Chiller Supply Piping Failure

In regards to the below description, please see the below link.

https://imgur.com/a/D0l9qFb

A client called and sent me the photos. This is the piping to their chiller and the strainer and valve have been catastrophically damaged. My opinion is that this was likely caused by some sort of internal pressure in the system. The wafer is completely separated from the stem in the valve (notice valve in closed position), and strainer failed at the welded joint. The only thing I can think of is someone could have dead headed the pump, or started it up and sent a slug of fluid crashing into that valve. I've never seen anything like this before. The are 5" lines that have about a 100' run to the mechanical room where the pumps are. Anyone want to weigh in?

EDIT:This was discovered at summer startup about a week ago. Location is midwest, Illinois.

thanks,

Post Likes
    Are you in a location where it would have frozen? I have only seen damage from improperly winterized systems look like that.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Certainly we're in an area where temps get well below freezing in the winter. I thought about that, but the way the wafer broke and was pushed in the direction of flow seemed to indicate over pressurization. Could freeze damage cause this though? I was thinking freezing causes more of a split, rather than the complete separation I'm seeing in the strainer flange.

Post Likes
    I could only guess as to the wafer pushed that direction. It is possible the piping behind the butterfly valve contained water and when expanded pushed to a section that was drained( y-strainer), and then filled the strainer? Did the client winterize the system or was it contracted out?

Has anyone checked the barrel yet for damage?

Post Likes
    The client indicated that they winterized it without any issues.

Post Likes
    It sounds like someone will be contacting the insurance company. Did anyone look at the chiller yet? Does it have a barrel or plate?

Post Likes
    The photos don't show pipe flexibility. The damage is probably a combination of freezing plus thermal stress due to lack of piping flex. Notice there is damage on both sides of the butterfly valve. That indicates the valve was open when the damage occurred. The piping is also misaligned which indicates thermal force was present. In my opinion the pipe froze causing the initial damage (freezing also limits flexibility).
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    What is the Model Number on this Chiller? What is the Brand Name on the failed "Y" Strainer? And any other Numbers as Well? There is a "Vibration Eliminator"(or anaconda), Installed Just after the strainer, BUT the Run Was/Is Clearly Missalined, imo. The Top Spool appears to be about an inch too short to me. Have you or the client gathered all records for this Chiller, to include Water Treatment? It may have been discovered 2 weeks ago, but the rust says, who knows how long it has been dead in the water. PS: It also appears to be a casting failure of the Strainer as opposed to a weld, as i see no weld. Hence is why i asked for strainer info.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lzenglish View Post
    What is the Model Number on this Chiller? What is the Brand Name on the failed "Y" Strainer? And any other Numbers as Well? There is a "Vibration Eliminator"(or anaconda), Installed Just after the strainer, BUT the Run Was/Is Clearly Missalined, imo. The Top Spool appears to be about an inch too short to me. Have you or the client gathered all records for this Chiller, to include Water Treatment? It may have been discovered 2 weeks ago, but the rust says, who knows how long it has been dead in the water. PS: It also appears to be a casting failure of the Strainer as opposed to a weld, as i see no weld. Hence is why i asked for strainer info.
    I Ran out of edit time, so let me finish by saying this...If the client is looking to place blame here, there is certainly enough to go around. BUT tell him to just cut his losses, order up the correct parts, and git-er-done.

Post Likes
    Obviously Freeze damage....

Either the piping wasn’t completely drained, or water got into the piping after it was drained.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    Obviously Freeze damage....

Either the piping wasn’t completely drained, or water got into the piping after it was drained.
    Please tell us How YOU arrived at this "Obvious Conclusion"?

Post Likes
    71CHOPS conclusion is valid because the hoop stress of the pipe has been exceeded which is obvious in photo number 2.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    71CHOPS conclusion is valid because the hoop stress of the pipe has been exceeded which is obvious in photo number 2.
    That my friend is no conclusion at all, but is pure speculation on your part to win an un-winnable argument. Get your hoops in order, and try again. PS: AND, I suspect your motives here are not above board.!!!!! PSS:Got to sign off now Wayne, so take your time with your new conclusion....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast