Post Likes

Lennox XC plastic fan guards

Anyone know what these things are made out of? I accidentally brushed my arm against one and it immediately gave me a horrible rash. With my glove, I swept the surface and it comes off in a very fine gritty powder, like fiberglass. Can’t even touch my clothes where I brushed against it either. I can’t imagine it’s good to accidentally breathe that crap in. This is the third one I’ve encountered and now I avoid touching them like poison ivy. Anyone else experience this?

Post Likes
    I believe it’s the same or similar composite material that Trane and Rheem use on their condenser base pans. If it’s old I could see it giving a rug burn type rash.
    Where’s your long sleeves man?
    Mojave desert here long sleeves everyday.

Post Likes
    Oh man, that happened to me last summer. Took me about ten minutes to figure out what was causing it. Ha ha. Those things suck. I wondered if you spray a clear coat on it if that would help

Post Likes
    I've got an XP with that stupid fiberglass top and plastic shroud.

The shroud ices up in the winter.

The top is failing fiberglass.

I tried waxing the shroud and finding a fiberglass wax or polish and never did get anything to work on either.

That top is like your worn out ladder.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    So yesterday I take my kids "power wheels" battery and hook up to charge it , and im reading the side of battery to find how long it charges , and I see " this material causes cancer , wash hands thoroughly after handling"

Which tells me these manufacturers producing this crap really dont give a ratts ass about the public whatsoever

Whats that saying ? Nothing personal , its just business ....

Post Likes
    I put a rattle can clear coat on one and the coating held up for 3 years so far. Doesn't look bad and sure beats having little fiberglass shards in you. Didn't do anything special for prep other than wipe it down with a clean rag before spraying.

Post Likes
    I believe that to sell anything in California it must be labeled that it causes cancer and reproductive harm. I assume that water in CA is labeled the same because all cancer cells contain water.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Benkovitz View Post
    I believe that to sell anything in California it must be labeled that it causes cancer and reproductive harm. I assume that water in CA is labeled the same because all cancer cells contain water.
    That’s because it comes from Colorado