Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Need flange for bottom (floor) and top (ceiling) of HVAC gas vent

Our HVAC system in the basement has a 5 1/2" OD gas exhaust vent that goes through the floor and ceiling in the corner of our main floor dining room. I'm wanting a flange for the floor and ceiling to dress it up a bit. I'll probably end up painting the flange and the exhaust vent flat black. The ceiling does have a slight angle to it - maybe 11 degrees or so. I've googled and searched for a flange that would work, but either I'm not using the right terminology or this kind of thing isn't very common? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post Likes
    echusion plate

Post Likes
    You could check with the manufacture of the pipe. I think I know what you want but to my knowledge anything manufactured will be a solid piece IOW you would have to slip it over the pipe from an end rather then it being in 2 pieces that you could put around the pipe without taking the pipe apart. A second thought is to contact a tin shop and have them make a custom piece(s) for you that you could paint to match the pipe.

Post Likes
    I'm actually planning on taking the pipe apart anyway so I can (spray) pain it, so had planned on using pieces that would slip over each end. I'll look into an "echusion plate" and see what I can find - hopefully that brings up what I need. Thanks guys!

Post Likes
    Still no luck on a 5.5" inside diameter piece... Anybody know of a source that might have these?

Post Likes
    Is this something you should be working on. Exhaust piping is critical and must be done correctly!

Post Likes
    It was actually disconnected for quite some time within a soffit so I guess I figured however I put it back together would suffice (I put it back together once already after discovering that it was disconnected). If you connect it correctly what are the potential issues? I do have a CO detector within a couple feet of the vent.

Post Likes
    What type of pipe is it?

What are its required clearances?

Is it safe or legal to paint?

How do you know you are putting it back together properly?

What damage, if any, was done by it being disconnected? There could be some.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by duffman56 View Post
    It was actually disconnected for quite some time within a soffit so I guess I figured however I put it back together would suffice (I put it back together once already after discovering that it was disconnected). If you connect it correctly what are the potential issues? I do have a CO detector within a couple feet of the vent.
    A CO Detector that might go off after the damage is done! Big box Store CO detectors are worthless at low levels. Less then 70PPM!

Post Likes
    Flue fire stop plate is for double wall b-vent. A 5.5" hole is for a 5" double wall pipe. Single wall pipe will need something made to keep the 6" minimum clearance to combustible material.

Post Likes
    Yes, it is a double wall b-vent, I believe. I've been able to find some plates/escutcheons that have an ID of 5" and some that are 6", but no 5.5". At this point I'm wondering if I won't have to just go with a 6" and caulk the 1/2" gap that would run around the pipe. I'd prefer finding something that is 5.5" but I'm having no luck so far. Don't suppose someone could point me in the right direction?

Post Likes
    A duct contractor!

Post Likes
    Lol. Well... Im more of a DIY guy hoping to get some help from you pros... thanks for the input of those who were trying to help. Im sure Ill figure something out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast