Post Likes

cleveland sgl-40-tr tilting skillet

I had a question regarding the motor for the actuator on this unit. I havent worked on one of these motors before. The shaft doesnt spin with voltage applied. I tested with the motor free of the actuator. The voltage however is 33vdc and the motor is rated 24 vdc, so Im wondering if this is acceptable on a dc voltage motor or if I need to do further electrical troubleshooting. Also, wonder if there is a good way to test the actuator itself without a working motor if something is sticking. Thanks

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Did you get an answer on this from Cleveland?

I work in-house and we have three of those units. I've never seen that voltage problem.

As for the linear actuator and how it's employed - I DON'T like their design.

WHY?

Well, most OTHER linear actuator setups I've seen use upper/lower limit switches such as simple microswitches (usually external) or Reed switches (usually internal). However, Cleveland didn't do that.
    INSTEAD, Cleveland went and used an actuator with NO built-in limits or any external switches. They simply went and incorporated a "polyswitch fuse" in series with the motor. SO, when the actuator hits its mechanical limits, that "fuse" opens due to overloading of the motor. On the UPside, it does quickly auto-reset should the operator desire to go in the OTHER direction.

UNFORTUNATELY, we've discovered a need to replace that V-E-R-Y pricey actuator as often as once every six months on one of our skillets (usage patterns prevail). Generally we will find that the motor is still functional, but some part of the gears had failed.

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Post Likes
    No human response from tech support, I replaced the motor, cap, and resister which measured 4x nameplate value, tilt works with new parts, voltage still the same, not sure why or if it is an issue. Thanks for sharing what you've seen